Quintana

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

notes34

Quintana

Post by notes34 »

6A66673C353C34393E213B0C0 wrote: I am to the point that I hope the Bucs do not acquire Quintana. Right now we have  three starting pitchers accounted for. If Kuhl pitches as he did  in the second half of the season last year we have 4 starters. For the number five slot we can choose from Williams, Brault, Hutchison, Glasnow and even  Kingham. I would still attempt to sign another veteran pitcher to tryout for that number five starting pitcher.
I disagree. Quintana would improve this rotation so much. The 4/5 slot of our rotation as stands could be trouble. I like Kuhl, he would be fine in the 5 spot. A rotation of Quintana, Cole, Taillon, Nova, and Kuhl is very formidable. We should've learned our lesson last season to not go into the season with so many ?'s in the rotation.
Quail

Quintana

Post by Quail »

74756E7F69292E1A0 wrote: I am to the point that I hope the Bucs do not acquire Quintana. Right now we have  three starting pitchers accounted for. If Kuhl pitches as he did  in the second half of the season last year we have 4 starters. For the number five slot we can choose from Williams, Brault, Hutchison, Glasnow and even  Kingham. I would still attempt to sign another veteran pitcher to tryout for that number five starting pitcher.
I disagree. Quintana would improve this rotation so much. The 4/5 slot of our rotation as stands could be trouble. I like Kuhl, he would be fine in the 5 spot. A rotation of Quintana, Cole, Taillon, Nova, and Kuhl is very formidable. We should've learned our lesson last season to not go into the season with so many ?'s in the rotation.

This! As someone once famously said "Those who fail to learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat them."

In this case the Pirates have more "candidates" than proven quality starters. It may be a little better than last year when they had more "suspects" (Vogelsong, Niese, Locke) than candidates with upside potential, but having one more proven quality starting pitcher would make a huge difference to this team. Quintana's contract is affordable and by all accounts still available. Losing some top prospects in a deal would be painful but you can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs and I'm hungry for a championship!

mouse

Quintana

Post by mouse »

Ross apparently is in discussions with the Rangers but also met recently with the Cubs. Doesn't sound like the Pirates are at this point in the front line of any discussions with him.
OrlandoMerced

Quintana

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I think that the Pirates definitely need another starting pitcher.

I don't think that needs to be Quintana.

This is from the MLBTradeRumors article

"The White Sox reportedly asked the Astros for 24-year-old right-hander Joe Musgrove (who was solid in a 69-inning MLB debut last year) and the team’s top two prospects, righty Francis Martes and outfielder Kyle Tucker, in exchange for Quintana last month."

I think the equivalent from the Pirates is Kuhl, Glasnow and Meadows. If I were to try and guess what the situation is, it's that the White Sox are saying, "we want your number 1 and 2 prospects" The Pirates are offering some other prospect mix with Kuhl, and the two sides are waiting for the other to break. If the Astros were going to meet those demands, they probably would have by now.
SammyKhalifa

Quintana

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I would agree with that. He would be a nice pickup for the Pirates but it's easy for us to get fixated on the guy that's getting he trade buzz. There are other good guys out there too.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Quintana

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

59647A777872795B7364757372160 wrote: I think that the Pirates definitely need another starting pitcher.

I don't think that needs to be Quintana. 

This is from the MLBTradeRumors article

"The White Sox reportedly asked the Astros for 24-year-old right-hander Joe Musgrove (who was solid in a 69-inning MLB debut last year) and the team’s top two prospects, righty Francis Martes and outfielder Kyle Tucker, in exchange for Quintana last month."

I think the equivalent from the Pirates is Kuhl, Glasnow and Meadows.  If I were to try and guess what the situation is, it's that the White Sox are saying, "we want your number 1 and 2 prospects"  The Pirates are offering some other prospect mix with Kuhl, and the two sides are waiting for the other to break.  If the Astros were going to meet those demands, they probably would have by now.

That is tough to say. Most prospect rankings have Glasnow and Meadows ranked higher than Martes and Tucker.

Just because a team asks for one team's top prospects doesn't mean they are equal to another team's. There can be a big difference as some farm systems are better than others.
Quail

Quintana

Post by Quail »

33010D0D192B08010C090601600 wrote: I would agree with that.  He would be a nice pickup for the Pirates but it's easy for us to get fixated on the guy that's getting he trade buzz.  There are other good guys out there too.

I suppose that's correct but the Pirates will need someone whose salary is in line with their willingness to spend. The field narrows with that restriction. Of course a lefty (such as Quintana) would be preferable for the currently all right-handed projected starters which narrows things further. Plus other teams have to be shopping such a pitcher.

My focus on Quintana is mostly due to the fact that I haven't heard of any other trade targets for the Pirates that meet those criteria above. On the other hand I would not under any circumstances trade Meadows. If the Chisox are insisting on his inclusion in any deal for Quintana I politely decline.
BucsFaninGA

Quintana

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Rumbunter had a good proposal....SP-Glasnow, SS-Newman, C-Diaz and 3B-Hayes. I think that would be more than a fair deal for ChiSox. Dealing Josh Bell, Austin Meadows should not be a consideration...Time will tell, but I get the feeling NH is really focused on Quintana...

Beat'em Bucs
mouse

Quintana

Post by mouse »

If this is still being discussed I would agree that NH is truly interested. I don't think that will cause him to pay more than what he thinks is possible for the team - I think with Price he said they stretched as much as they could but it wasn't enough for the Rays.

Quintana being left-handed is a big factor as the Cubs are lefty heavy in bats and don't fare as well against left-handers.
notes34

Quintana

Post by notes34 »

70424E4E5A684B424F4A4542230 wrote: I would agree with that.  He would be a nice pickup for the Pirates but it's easy for us to get fixated on the guy that's getting he trade buzz.  There are other good guys out there too.
What other young affordable left handed top of the rotation guys are available?