Kang to miss the start of spring training

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Why would the minor leagues help him recover more than in the majors? Plus, you are assuming he has a problem. DUIs don't mean he has a drinking problem. He might, but he also might have made some mistakes.

Kang is the best 3B in the system. No reason he shouldn't help the team when ready to go. Did anyone know he had two DUIs before he got his third? And nothing has been proven in Chicago either. Chicago is a bigger issue to me. If guilty there, I'd cut him and ship him back to Korea too.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

4D464E4247465D181E695048414646074A46290 wrote: Why would the minor leagues help him recover more than in the majors?  Plus, you are assuming he has a problem. DUIs don't mean he has a drinking problem. He might, but he also might have made some mistakes.

Kang is the best 3B in the system. No reason he shouldn't help the team when ready to go. Did anyone know he had two DUIs before he got his third? And nothing has been proven in Chicago either. Chicago is a bigger issue to me. If guilty there, I'd cut him and ship him back to Korea too. 

You don't think he'll need some time to get ready in the minors or extended spring training?
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I am saying if they are winning without him keep him in extended spring training and then move him to Indy until the Bucs need him.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

6B5955554173505954515E59380 wrote: Why would the minor leagues help him recover more than in the majors?  Plus, you are assuming he has a problem. DUIs don't mean he has a drinking problem. He might, but he also might have made some mistakes.

You don't think he'll need some time to get ready in the minors or extended spring training?

Of course I do. But I wouldn't leave him down there because the team doesn't need him or is winning without him.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

In a morning briefing with the media Neal Huntington reported that Kang is still working on his visa to report to the States. This has to be very disappointing to the staff because now with only two weeks remaining until opening day there is no way that Kang will be ready to play. I still believe he will not be available until after the series in Chicago which ends around the 15th of April.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

The whole situation with Kang is very disappointing because the Pirates made a huge commitment to him a few years back and he has totally let them down with his recent actions in both Chicago and with his DUI. I think they need Kang a lot to be a good team this season but at this point the guy as far as I'm concerned is a liability. He knew he had 2 previous DUI's when the Pirates signed him and never mentioned anything about it to anybody, and I guess he never cared to tell the Pirates about this as well because I highly doubt they would have signed him if he did.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

7279717D7879622721566F777E7979387579160 wrote: Why would the minor leagues help him recover more than in the majors?  Plus, you are assuming he has a problem. DUIs don't mean he has a drinking problem. He might, but he also might have made some mistakes.

Of course I do. But I wouldn't leave him down there because the team doesn't need him or is winning without him.

Yea I agree as soon as Kang is ready to play you get him up with the Big League team and play him everyday. This isn't like last season where they needed to ease him into the lineup because of his knee injury. The Pirates cant afford to have Kang missing until early to mid May like they did last season. They need him back in there sooner then that if they hope to compete with the Cubs for this division.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

1B3C2D292C310E3A2D2C2C31480 wrote: The whole situation with Kang is very disappointing because the Pirates made a huge commitment to him a few years back and he has totally let them down with his recent actions in both Chicago and with his DUI. I think they need Kang a lot to be a good team this season but at this point the guy as far as I'm concerned is a liability. He knew he had 2 previous DUI's when the Pirates signed him and never mentioned anything about it to anybody, and I guess he never cared to tell the Pirates about this as well because I highly doubt they would have signed him if he did.

I am frustrated with this situation too. I didn't think it would go this long. Boy, was I wrong.

Do you know for sure he didn't mention his past history about the DUIs? Even so, I am not sure that would stop teams and the Pirates from signing him. If he wasn't asked, he never lied.

I think he is a big part of the team. He can be one of the best 3B in the NL. The Pirates need him to compete.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Dog - his problem isn't the Pirates or other teams. It's the DUI conviction. He's a foreign national with a criminal record. There is a blanket edict that visas are not to be granted in such cases. This was not the case last year, it is this year. There have been a lot of changes in political attitudes so far as non-US citizens are concerned. The key for him was whether they would make an exception because he's 'important.' It appears not, at least as long as he's on probation, so I'm guessing (and it's only that - a guess) he's gone back on appeal to see if the court there will cut him a break and change the sentence to just a fine. But his career right now appears in jeopardy.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

070B0A5158515954534C56610 wrote: In a morning briefing with the media Neal Huntington reported that Kang is still working on his visa to report to the States. This has to be very disappointing to the staff because now with only two weeks remaining until opening day there is no way that Kang will be ready to play. I still believe he will not be available until after the series in Chicago which ends around the 15th of April.

I doubt he has a visa by the 15th. It's pretty obvious that he's been denied in the normal process. Again, I think that's the reason for his appeal of his conviction.

Find out the appeal process in Korea and I think you can draw a line to when the visa will be approved.