Off Season Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

6856535B4850505B7B5E495A3F0 wrote: I think the GM is way more important than the Manager in the success of the organization.  If a GM is going to punt  a season away "seeing what he has", then Shelton, Hurdle, or anyone else is going to make much difference.  The GM has to put major league ballplayers on the roster to compete with the other teams major league ballplayers.  Instead of nitpicking every last managerial decision, the focus should be on getting the GM to step up and do his job.
Really glad to be part of this Board. Very few apologists if any. The major question is, why would any decent player want to come to Pittsburgh?This kid from Vanderbilt has to be saying "oh sh*t"

At this stage, there probably aren't all that many apologists ANYwhere.  Everyone knows the drill around Buccoburgh.

To the second point, I'll give you some things that would sway a guy:

A) Someone with an axe to grind.....their previous club turned their back on him, so he comes to The Burgh (for nothing, of course) to show everyone what he can do. 

B) A reclamation project.  Similar to the above, but a guy who maybe had a deep funk or recovering from an injury, and that's the reason why their previous club didn't want them anymore. 

C) Someone who wants to be in the major leagues (so to speak, anyway) earlier than they ordinarily would.  If you can't make a .3-and-some-change club's roster, you sure as hell aren't going to be playing much sooner anywhere else.

D) Someone who just LOVES the idea of playing in Pittburgh, with the Pirates for reasons that I can't imagine.  Pittsburgh's fantastic.  The team is anything BUT fantastic.  Maybe they're involved with someone who is from the area and loves the idea of returning.

E) Someone who's only other choice is to play in Cleveland or some other foreign country.