Off Season Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

shedman

Off Season Thread

Post by shedman »

And just like that we are into the Off Season. Cherington should be done "seeing what he has". Now is the time to start improving what he has. No excuses, alibis, or corporate-speak. We need an infusion of major league ballplayers. Come on Ben, don't wait until tomorrow, next week or just kick the can down the road. Get on the phone RIGHT NOW and do your job. It shouldn't be all that hard as you are starting with the worst team in baseball.

The rules are the same as last year:

All major league acquisitions will be scored from 1-5 with 5 being the best

Minor league acquisitions don't count.

Extensions of existing contracts will be scored.

Extensions of arbitration years do not count unless they include a FA year.

Trades will be scored for both teams making the trade.
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

Are you in process of forming your esteemed panel? Hint, hint.

Also, as a side note, wondering when you're planning to add your Littlefield/Huntington/Cherington record comparison thread?
2drfischer@gmail.c

Off Season Thread

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

534845444D414E200 wrote: And just like that we are into the Off Season.  Cherington should be done "seeing what he has".  Now is the  time to start improving what he has.  No excuses, alibis, or corporate-speak.  We need an infusion of major league ballplayers. Come on Ben, don't wait until tomorrow, next week or just kick the can down the road.  Get on the phone RIGHT NOW and do your job. It shouldn't be all that hard as you are starting with the worst team in baseball.

The rules are the same as last year:

All major league acquisitions will be scored from 1-5 with 5 being the best

Minor league acquisitions don't count.

Extensions of existing contracts will be scored.

Extensions of arbitration years do not count unless they include a FA year.

Trades will be scored for both teams making the trade.

Yeah, the regular season's over for a couple of hours already! Why hasn't he made four or five trades by now? I mean, Trout, deGrom, Freeman, Soto are all major league players. Why hasn't Ben acquired them yet? This guy might as well be a bum standing by the side of the tracks waiting on a train.
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

Doesn't matter WHERE he's standing!  ;)))
shedman

Off Season Thread

Post by shedman »

5164737378417373787F73160 wrote: Are you in process of forming your esteemed panel?  Hint, hint.

Also, as a side note, wondering when you're planning to add your Littlefield/Huntington/Cherington record comparison thread?
_______

Well, now that you ask:

Littlefield - 442-581 - .432 WP

Huntington - 921-1020 - .474 WP

Cherington - 19-41 - .317 WP

Never ever ever(one more ever) ever did I think I would yearn for the days of Huntington. We are going the wrong direction.
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

Past and Current tense.  We WENT in the wrong direction, and we're IN the wrong direction.

I bet the Run Differentials among the three would be equally revealing.

==================

FWIW, Additional Notes:

LittleYield never had a winning season.  Ben's joining him unless he gets on the stick.

None have won a division title.

Huntington made three (consecutive) post-season appearances.  Advanced to the second round in one of them.

All three have finished dead last at least once, as in dead last in all of MLB.

Lost count of how many times each has finished in last place in the Central division, but we know that Cardboard Ben has 1/1.

=============

Conclusion: Doc's Aunt Edna would do a better job.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Off Season Thread

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

657E73727B7778160 wrote: Are you in process of forming your esteemed panel?  Hint, hint.

_______

Well, now that you ask:

Littlefield - 442-581 - .432 WP

Huntington - 921-1020 - .474 WP

Cherington - 19-41 - .317 WP

Never ever ever(one more ever) ever did I think I would yearn for the days of Huntington.  We are going the wrong direction.

Don't forget to mention that all the teams from the NL Central, except for the Pirates, reached the postseason.
GermanTownship

Off Season Thread

Post by GermanTownship »

Let’s be realistic. No proven and very good free agent will come to Pittsburgh next year. The best way to get better is through the draft and trades. If they could get a nice haul for Josh Bell, they should do it. He is definitely a DH and a disaster in the field. Colin Moran would be my 1st baseman. Other than him, I see no other player of note that they could get anybody that has the potential to help them. Hayes, is and should be untouchable! I will also put Mitch Keller there. Hopefully, with a full spring training, including a full compliment of games will help correct the terrible batting averages. Look at the final stats of such stars as Yelich, Altuive, and many others. The bullpen needs help. There are many “ifs” on the team. Hopefully, with this being Polanco’s contract year, he will have a good season. Still have faith in Reynolds, who should be the everyday centerfielder.
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

The best method of improvement begins with executives who hold a sense of urgency.

Seeing no indication of it, then expect significant improvement in outcome at one's own risk.

The Pittsburgh Pirates have punting down to a science.
shedman

Off Season Thread

Post by shedman »

Yeah, I guess we have to be realistic. We are the worst team in all of baseball and there is no way to improve it except to hope that the players we already have under contractual control play better. There isn't even 1 FA available in the off season that could help the worst team in all of baseball. We have nothing to trade so we can't expect any help there either. We need to get rid of Kela, Archer, and Polanco and replace them with LMG's and hope for the best. BOB's dream has come true.