DH To National League

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

IABucFan

DH To National League

Post by IABucFan »

055345515E44545F524577505A565E5B1954370 wrote: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/03/ ... -rule.html

I’m out.

I don’t know why they’re wasting time.  Just set a keg of beer back behind home plate, dress the players in tee shirts and shorts, and play a non-grueling seven innings already.

Yeah…heaven forbid you have two whole games in six months that go past 14 innings. Somehow, I don’t think some guy working 60 hours a week on a line will feel any sympathy.
GreenWeenie

DH To National League

Post by GreenWeenie »

We want MLB to be like other leagues except when we don't.
IABucFan

DH To National League

Post by IABucFan »

I think the NFL and NHL overtime rules are stupid, too. At least the NBA plays actual basketball, but maybe they’ll go the way of the NHL and play 3-3.
GreenWeenie

DH To National League

Post by GreenWeenie »

They may be stupid, but they have OT.

I shrug. We moan over how long games are. Who wants to stay up after so many innings? That guy who works that 60 hours/week sure as hell doesn't. I know because I do it and then some. So, something's done about it. We whine about that.

I've heard so much groaning this week that it reminds me of a Bellyachers Anonymous convention. {And, we haven't even started to play!}

The way I see it, if the All England Lawn Tennis Club can implement a fifth-set tiebreaker even in the championship round (gasp), this is no big deal (to me.) Not only can I live with it, I wonder what took so long?
IABucFan

DH To National League

Post by IABucFan »

142136363D0436363D3A36530 wrote: They may be stupid, but they have OT.

J

I shrug.  We moan over how long games are.  Who wants to stay up after so many innings?  That guy who works that 60 hours/week sure as hell doesn't.  I know because I do it and then some.  So, something's done about it.  We whine about that.

I've heard so much groaning this week that it reminds me of a Bellyachers Anonymous convention.  {And, we haven't even started to play!}

The way I see it, if the All England Lawn Tennis Club can implement a fifth-set tiebreaker even in the championship round (gasp), this is no big deal (to me.)  Not only can I live with it, I wonder what took so long?

I don’t think we'll ever agree on any of this. I’ve never seen a rule change I liked. You seem to have never seen one you didn’t like. Fine. I work those same long hours. If a game goes long, I turn it off and go to bed. But I’m in the Central Time zone, so maybe it’s not as big a deal to me. Of course, as I’ve already pointed out, being in Iowa, it’s impossible for me to watch about a third of the Pirates games anyway, so perhaps it’s even less of a deal.

They could start games an hour earlier. Or cut thirty seconds between each half inning. That’s nine minutes right there. And again, we’re talking what? Two, May e three games a season? As you say, big deal.

I for one have never moaned over how long games are because I understand that's baseball.

Sorry, but I’m just not interested in whatever this new game is. I’m not sure what it is, but it sure isn’t Major League Baseball. Eventually, these things that aren’t big deals start to become a big deal. Just how much can they tweak the game and it’s still MLB? In my mind, they’ve already crossed that line. Everyone has a line somewhere…the only arbitrary thing is where we each draw it.
GreenWeenie

DH To National League

Post by GreenWeenie »

Like I say, there's something in baseball for everyone to hate.

I hate the way the way the Pirates are run. You hate these things.

I think that I'm worse off than you. :) :(

IABucFan

DH To National League

Post by IABucFan »

I hate both, actually. Which is why I’m trying really, really hard to break my addiction.
GreenWeenie

DH To National League

Post by GreenWeenie »

This probably won't help, but I'll toss it out there:

Fifty years from now, when I'm 113, I don't want to be that old guy who goes around talking about how great things used to be back in the 1970s.

Fifty years from today, kids who will be 53, 54 years old will think baseball played with these changes is just fine. They won't know any other way.

If worst comes to worst, even Racquel Welch and Dolly Parton know when they need a little sprucing up. They're still Racquel Welch and Dolly Parton. :)

MLB, Racquel Welch, and Dolly Parton. Life's pretty damned good!
IABucFan

DH To National League

Post by IABucFan »

5D687F7F744D7F7F74737F1A0 wrote: This probably won't help, but I'll toss it out there:

Fifty years from now, when I'm 113, I don't want to be that old guy who goes around talking about how great things used to be back in the 1970s.

Fifty years from today, kids who will be 53, 54 years old will think baseball played with these changes is just fine.  They won't know any other way.

If worst comes to worst, even Racquel Welch and Dolly Parton know when they need a little sprucing up.  They're still Racquel Welch and Dolly Parton.  :)

MLB, Racquel Welch, and Dolly Parton.  Life's pretty damned good!

I get it. I don't want to be that guy, either. I'm 40, and I like the game they way it is now. The way it's been played for my entire life. The kids you mentioned will be having this same argument 50 years from now when they are implementing the fifth DH and courtesy runners. (Honestly, I suspect courtesy runners will be here rather soon. I doubt it takes that long.)

I don't know why, but I don't mind rules changes in the NFL and NHL. Maybe because they've always sort of been part of the culture there. I'm not an NBA fan, so I have no strong feelings either way as to what that league does. But for me, baseball is different. Maybe it's the history. Maybe it's the nostalgia. Maybe it's knowing that for all time, there have been a lot of constants in the game...the mound is 60 feet, 6 inches from home plate, not one quarter inch more or less. The base paths are 90 feet, not one inch more or less. Outfield dimensions vary by ball park.

I was at a game at PNC once, 2006 against the Astros. It was a college graduation gift to myself. Game went 18 innings, and I loved it! Craig Wilson, Jeromy Burnitz, Jose Castillo, and Jason Bay all homered. Bucs won in a walk-off in the bottom of the 18th. A key play was getting the runner (I think it was Bay) to second on a wild pitch, on an intentional walk.

Burnitz's homer came on a pinch hit in the bottom of the ninth, I believe, for the pitcher. It was one of the greatest games I've ever seen, anywhere, and I saw it live from just above the first base dugout.

Now, a game like that will almost never happen. No chance of a WP on an IBB...just hold up four fingers and take your base. No PH homers for a pitcher who otherwise would have been an automatic out. No marathon games. All of that is gone and never coming back.

I just don't want to support what MLB is doing to the game. This is to say nothing of what I've already lamented regarding being able to view games, but I've beaten that dead horse for years, and nothing ever changes. Well, I guess one thing changes...they make it harder to watch games, rather than easier. Regardless, MLB has changed, and I believe for the worse. Will it ruin the game? No. Will there be a new generation of fans who never knew the game the way it used to be played? Yes. Will they continue to go to the ballpark, buy hot dogs, buy jerseys, and tune in on Peacock? Yes. But the game won't be the same. And that to me, is a travesty.