Offseason Outlook: Pittsburgh Pirates (MLBTR)

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

3pirates3

Post by 3pirates3 »

Pirates DFA Castillo to make room for Hedges.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

1D5E475C4F5A4B5D1D2E0 wrote: Pirates DFA Castillo to make room for Hedges.

they did get a pretty good look at both Castillo and Park.

still surprised they like Vivalde as much as they must. He hasn't hit that well in his time in the Pacific Coast League but at least he doesn't strike out all the time.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

A neutral arbitrator has reinstated Trevor Bauer by capping his suspension at 194 games. The Dodgers have 14 days to decide whether or not to add him to their 40-man roster. He's under contract for 2023 for $32 million. Will they have him back, try to trade him, or simply release him? Would another organization want him?
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

7C5A5B4C5A4A390 wrote: Pirates DFA Castillo to make room for Hedges.

still surprised they like Vivalde as much as they must.  He hasn't hit that well in his time in the Pacific Coast League but at least he doesn't strike out all the time.
I think someone will claim Castillo
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

023C3931223A3A311134233067550 wrote: Pirates DFA Castillo to make room for Hedges.

still surprised they like Vivalde as much as they must.  He hasn't hit that well in his time in the Pacific Coast League but at least he doesn't strike out all the time.
I agree. And I wonder who will give Oneil Cruz a breather, especially against lefty pitching, where Castillo excelled. Bucs had 2 guys who would have done that job - Newman and Castillo - and got rid of both. Who is our backup shortstop? Won't be Peguero.
Javy

Post by Javy »

1C4A5C48475D4D464B5C6E49434F4742004D2E0 wrote: A neutral arbitrator has reinstated Trevor Bauer by capping his suspension at 194 games.  The Dodgers have 14 days to decide whether or not to add him to their 40-man roster.  He's under contract for 2023 for $32 million.  Will they have him back, try to trade him, or simply release him?  Would another organization want him?
I would think he's considered so toxic that once released, no one will touch him. Regardless of his talent, he would be a PR nightmare despite not having charges filed against him.

Then again, at the pro-rated ML minimum, some team (Giants, Red Sox, Rangers?) might not be able to resist. Fans in Boston are so disgusted with their management team it wouldn't matter anyway.
2drfischer@gmail.c

63485F50290 wrote: A neutral arbitrator has reinstated Trevor Bauer by capping his suspension at 194 games.  The Dodgers have 14 days to decide whether or not to add him to their 40-man roster.  He's under contract for 2023 for $32 million.  Will they have him back, try to trade him, or simply release him?  Would another organization want him?
I would think he's considered so toxic that once released, no one will touch him. Regardless of his talent, he would be a PR nightmare despite not having charges filed against him.

Then again, at the pro-rated ML minimum, some team (Giants, Red Sox, Rangers?) might not be able to resist. Fans in Boston are so disgusted with their management team it wouldn't matter anyway.

I especially agree with the "toxic" part of your response. There's no way, in spite of his talent, I'd want him anywhere near my ball club. But we all know there are organizations that will justify signing him.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

2375637778627279746351767C70787D3F72110 wrote: A neutral arbitrator has reinstated Trevor Bauer by capping his suspension at 194 games.  The Dodgers have 14 days to decide whether or not to add him to their 40-man roster.  He's under contract for 2023 for $32 million.  Will they have him back, try to trade him, or simply release him?  Would another organization want him?
Well, the Cleveland Browns took back Deshaun Watson and he did a lot worse
2drfischer@gmail.c

486269596E7878741B0 wrote: Pirates DFA Castillo to make room for Hedges.

I agree. And I wonder who will give Oneil Cruz a breather, especially against lefty pitching, where Castillo excelled. Bucs had 2 guys who would have done that job - Newman and Castillo - and got rid of both. Who is our backup shortstop? Won't be Peguero.

Maybe the Pirates decision came down to keeping either Castillo or Castro to be Cruz's back-up. The two of them seem interchangeable.
2drfischer@gmail.c

5967626A7961616A4A6F786B3C0E0 wrote: A neutral arbitrator has reinstated Trevor Bauer by capping his suspension at 194 games.  The Dodgers have 14 days to decide whether or not to add him to their 40-man roster.  He's under contract for 2023 for $32 million.  Will they have him back, try to trade him, or simply release him?  Would another organization want him?
Well, the Cleveland Browns took back Deshaun Watson and he did a lot worse

I don't know who Watson is or what he did. But if he behaved worse than Bauer, it's hard for me to understand why any organization, regardless of their business, would want someone like him representing them.