Cutch Hitting .211

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Cutch Hitting .211

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

63617B7D6B0E0 wrote: The announcers have said that he is working hard to correct his swing, and feels more free to do that in a lower spot in the batting order, as the team needs someone to produce in the three spot. So in that sense there is more to it.

Why is that better in the sixth spot than third? The team needs everyone to produce. Players shouldn't have different expectations based on their spot in the line up.

McCutchen has had an advantage as he was never moved on a daily basis. Guys like Harrison, Freese, Mercer are shuffled around like crazy.

I guess his comments about having less pressure and feeling relieved still bother me. Why can't he just think he is batting sixth all the time? Once the game starts, the line up changes throughout the game. He could end up batting third in many innings during a game.
CutchisaBoss

Cutch Hitting .211

Post by CutchisaBoss »

9 games in after they sat Cutch and he adjusted the mechanics...

Currently with an OPS of 1.242 in that time...maybe some reason for hope...
Bobster21

Cutch Hitting .211

Post by Bobster21 »

070C04080D0C175254231A020B0C0C4D000C630 wrote: The announcers have said that he is working hard to correct his swing, and feels more free to do that in a lower spot in the batting order, as the team needs someone to produce in the three spot. So in that sense there is more to it.

Why is that better in the sixth spot than third?  The team needs everyone to produce. Players shouldn't have different expectations based on their spot in the line up.

McCutchen has had an advantage as he was never moved on a daily basis. Guys like Harrison, Freese, Mercer are shuffled around like crazy.

I guess his comments about having less pressure and feeling relieved still bother me. Why can't he just think he is batting sixth all the time?  Once the game starts, the line up changes throughout the game. He could end up batting third in many innings during a game.

It does matter, Dog. Sure, everyone should produce regardless of where they bat. But human nature plays into it. Slumps can obtain a mental component when they become prolonged. For example, there are different expectations for a lead-off batter and a #8 batter. The lead-off batter feels a responsibility to consistently get on base. There's no pressure when all is going well. But when he's failing to do that he feels he's letting his team down more than the #8 hitter feels he's letting his team down if he similarly is not consistently reaching base. Both want to produce but there is a greater expectation and more pressure when the lead-off guy slumps. It may cause him to press more than the #8 hitter might when both are slumping. And when you press, you do too much thinking instead of just doing by rote what had always worked.

Similarly, there is a certain expectation for a #3 hitter that he should be a consistent run producer. Historically, teams have put their best overall hitter in that spot because of that expectation. Also historically, teams have put guys at #6 who may not hit for a high average but hopefully have a little power to drive in runs set up by the expected contributions of the #3-5 guys. You usually didn't see Clemente, Stargell or Bonds hitting 6th because more was expected of them. But Stargell occasionally hit there when he wasn't hitting for average. They had power but also generally high batting averages which shows more consistency. What's generally good enough for #6 is usually below expectations for #3 or 4. When all is going well there's no pressure. But for way too long Cutch has not adequately performed as a #3. He knew he was letting his team down and pressing more. Moving him to #6 removed the burden of letting his team down when so much was expected of the #3 batter. He indicated as much when interviewed. He was honest and candid. He's probably more relaxed now and able to stop pressing and just do what always came naturally. It probably won't be long now before they take advantage of his resurgence and move him back to #3, where he'll get more ABs and more chances to drive in Frazier and Harrison when they are on base as they are expected to be. Players aren't robots. They feel pressure when they are failing like anyone else in any line of work. And when they put added pressure on themselves, it only makes things worse.
notes34

Cutch Hitting .211

Post by notes34 »

1B363B2A2D3C2B6B68590 wrote: The announcers have said that he is working hard to correct his swing, and feels more free to do that in a lower spot in the batting order, as the team needs someone to produce in the three spot. So in that sense there is more to it.

Why is that better in the sixth spot than third?  The team needs everyone to produce. Players shouldn't have different expectations based on their spot in the line up.

I guess his comments about having less pressure and feeling relieved still bother me. Why can't he just think he is batting sixth all the time?  Once the game starts, the line up changes throughout the game. He could end up batting third in many innings during a game.

It does matter, Dog. Sure, everyone should produce regardless of where they bat. But human nature plays into it. Slumps can obtain a mental component when they become prolonged. For example, there are different expectations for a lead-off batter and a #8 batter. The lead-off batter feels a responsibility to consistently get on base. There's no pressure when all is going well. But when he's failing to do that he feels he's letting his team down more than the #8 hitter feels he's letting his team down if he similarly is not consistently reaching base. Both want to produce but there is a greater expectation and more pressure when the lead-off guy slumps. It may cause him to press more than the #8 hitter might when both are slumping. And when you press, you do too much thinking instead of just doing by rote what had always worked. 

Similarly, there is a certain expectation for a #3 hitter that he should be a consistent run producer. Historically, teams have put their best overall hitter in that spot because of that expectation. Also historically, teams have put guys at #6 who may not hit for a high average but hopefully have a little power to drive in runs set up by the expected contributions of the #3-5 guys. You usually didn't see Clemente, Stargell or Bonds hitting 6th because more was expected of them. But Stargell occasionally hit there when he wasn't hitting for average. They had power but also generally high batting averages which shows more consistency. What's generally good enough for #6 is usually below expectations for #3 or 4. When all is going well there's no pressure. But for way too long Cutch has not adequately performed as a #3. He knew he was letting his team down and pressing more. Moving him to #6 removed the burden of letting his team down when so much was expected of the #3 batter. He indicated as much when interviewed. He was honest and candid. He's probably more relaxed now and able to stop pressing and just do what always came naturally. It probably won't be long now before they take advantage of his resurgence and move him back to #3, where he'll get more ABs and more chances to drive in Frazier and Harrison when they are on base as they are expected to be. Players aren't robots. They feel pressure when they are failing like anyone else in any line of work. And when they put added pressure on themselves, it only makes things worse.
One of the best posts I've seen on here in a long time. Perfect explanation!
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Cutch Hitting .211

Good post, I understand that. Its kind of the "clutch" discussion. Some players do very well in certain situations as others fail, even if the failing player is the better player. I would still rather pitch to Bobby Brown, Sean Casey or Lloyd McClendon than Alex Rodriguez or Barry Bonds.

I guess I am really surprised how much of a difference has occurred already for McCutchen. I didn't think he was such a mental player as his talent is one of the tops in the game.
Quail

Cutch Hitting .211

Post by Quail »

2C272F2326273C797F083129202727662B27480 wrote: Good post, I understand that.  Its kind of the "clutch" discussion.  Some players do very well in certain situations as others fail, even if the failing player is the better player.  I would still rather pitch to Bobby Brown, Sean Casey or Lloyd McClendon than Alex Rodriguez or Barry Bonds.

I guess I am really surprised how much of a difference has occurred already for McCutchen.  I didn't think he was such a mental player as his talent is one of the tops in the game. 

What makes you think that Cutch's improvement is related to his mental state? It's been widely publicized that he's recently been made aware of an issue with the mechanics of his swing involving the timing of the rotation of his torso. His improvement coincided with the revelation that he believed this was the root of his hitting problems and he was now working to correct it.

Coincidentally he was moved to the 6 spot in the batting order. Did it help to put Cutch in a lower pressure spot in the batting order while he worked on correcting his mechanics? Maybe. But it doesn't matter how great your mental outlook is when you have an undetected physical issue that is causing your problem.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Cutch Hitting .211

I agree, Quail. That is why I am kind of surprised if it was a mental issue.

We heard he has been correcting his swing for a while now. Even before he was moved in the line up. In his own words he said he was relieved to have less pressure. He actually said that, out loud. I know we (me) shouldn't assume, but that is why I put that assumption together.
Roberto218

Cutch Hitting .211

Post by Roberto218 »

Mental and physical in baseball-- I don't think that you can separate it. I think that batting Cutch #6 tells him that he doesn't have to carry the team on his back and that he can relax a bit. At which time, he starts to carry the team again!
Bobster21

Cutch Hitting .211

Post by Bobster21 »

4E454D4144455E1B1D6A534B4245450449452A0 wrote: I agree, Quail.  That is why I am kind of surprised if it was a mental issue.

We heard he has been correcting his swing for a while now.  Even before he was moved in the line up.  In his own words he said he was relieved to have less pressure.  He actually said that, out loud.  I know we (me) shouldn't assume, but that is why I put that assumption together.
He didn't go into a slump because of a mental issue and that's not what I said. But once a player goes into a slump for whatever reason whether it's mechanical or just bad luck, then the slump can take on a mental component when the player becomes frustrated, feels he's letting his team down and puts additional pressure on himself. A guy hitting #3 and slumping over a year is likely to feel more pressure because of the expectations of hitting #3. Moving him down in the order can result in him putting less pressure on himself, which should enhance the chance of getting out of the slump. But I don't think anyone has said Cutch slumped BECAUSE of a mental issue.
dmetz

Cutch Hitting .211

Post by dmetz »

Hopefully he keeps hitting and gets that Avg and Slugging up to more respectability.  He's going to have to hit the cover off the ball to make up for the defense and baserunning this year. 

We've seen this song and dance before. Comes back around early summer, plateaus... then comes on strong late in the year.

We need him to explode right now and keep exploding right up until he's traded.