Offseason Outlook: Pittsburgh Pirates (MLBTR)

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

303C3D666F666E63647B61560 wrote: "Per source, Pirates have 'genuine interest' in free-agent RHP Kyle Gibson and the two sides recently talked via a video call.

Last season, Gibson was second on the Phillies’ staff with 31 starts and went 10-8 with a 5.05 ERA." - Biertempfel

https://twitter.com/RobBiertempfel/stat ... 0199836672
Gibson has been signed by Baltimore per sources. The Pirates will have to look to someone else to sign.

perhaps someone better than Gibson (sometimes I am a dreamer).

I would prefer a left handed starting pitcher. I am guessing Quintana is out of their price range.
After struggling for most of the past 5 years including being primarily in the bullpen in 2021, Quintana took advantage of the Pirates' offer to again be a starter and try to resurrect his failing career. The better teams couldn't afford to take a chance on him but the Pirates had nothing to lose. It turned out to be a successful move for Quintana who showed MLB that he was back on track as an effective starter. He even pitched 5.1 scoreless innings for St.L. in a playoff game. He's now in position to get a good contract from a competitive team. He's not about to parlay last season's success into a chance to tie himself to the woeful Pirates for several years to come. That's not what he was working to achieve last season.
3pirates3

Post by 3pirates3 »

"Per sources: Pirates have expressed interest in catcher Tucker Barnhart. Two-time Gold Glove winner has spent the bulk of his career with Reds. Coming off down year with Detroit. Looking for bounce-back. Excellent fit." - Mackey

https://twitter.com/JMackeyPG/status/16 ... 7841964032
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

0D4E574C5F4A5B4D0D3E0 wrote: "Per sources: Pirates have expressed interest in catcher Tucker Barnhart. Two-time Gold Glove winner has spent the bulk of his career with Reds. Coming off down year with Detroit. Looking for bounce-back. Excellent fit." - Mackey

he isn't as injury prone as Perez and likely to hit over 200! He made 7.5 million last year, maybe Bucs can get for 3-4 million since he had a bad year.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

024158435045544202310 wrote: "Per sources: Pirates have expressed interest in catcher Tucker Barnhart. Two-time Gold Glove winner has spent the bulk of his career with Reds. Coming off down year with Detroit. Looking for bounce-back. Excellent fit." - Mackey

Yes but does he speak Spanish? :D
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

5F5352090009010C0B140E390 wrote: Ryan Yarbrough was designated by the Rays tonight. He has had some success in the past, so possibly the Bucs may claim him. He appears to be similar to the signing of Tyler Anderson a couple years ago. A lefty pitcher in PNC Park, who possibly could get back on track.
As far as I know Yarbrough has not signed with any team yet, and since guys like Quintana have signed elsewhere I think the Pirates should offer this guy a one year deal. The starting staff needs a lefty pitcher, and he could fill that need.
3pirates3

Post by 3pirates3 »

"Source: Pirates bringing back Tyler Heineman. Would imagine on a minor league deal.

Played 52 games in Pittsburgh last year, hitting .211 with a .531 OPS. Makes sense if he or Jason Delay winds up as the other half of Perez/Barnhart/whomever, serving as bridge to Davis/Endy." - Mackey

https://twitter.com/JMackeyPG/status/16 ... 1567546373

"It is indeed a minor league deal with an invitation to spring training." - Mackey

https://twitter.com/JMackeyPG/status/16 ... 6444020736
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

4A46471C151C14191E011B2C0 wrote: Ryan Yarbrough was designated by the Rays tonight. He has had some success in the past, so possibly the Bucs may claim him. He appears to be similar to the signing of Tyler Anderson a couple years ago. A lefty pitcher in PNC Park, who possibly could get back on track.
As far as I know Yarbrough has not signed with any team yet, and since guys like Quintana have signed elsewhere I think the Pirates should offer this guy a one year deal. The starting staff needs a lefty pitcher, and he could fill that need.
Forget that idea, Yarbrough signed with the Royals today. In my opinion the Pirates still need to add a lefty starting pitcher to the roster. Hopefully they can convince a free agent to sign a contract with the Pirates.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Each day more starting free agent pitchers are signing with teams other than the Pirates.Several weeks ago Ben C. discussed with the media that he would be willing to sign a pitcher to a multi year contract if possible. Many of the remaining free agent pitchers probably are not going to get more than a single year contract, and I wonder if the Pirates will sign one. I hope Nutting hasn’t given some order to BC to stop signing any additional free agents since they have already spent about 12 million on 3 free agent players this offseason. I guess I wonder when something does not happen as discussed,I am inclined to think Mr. Nutting could be the very reason why it didn’t happen.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I kind of wonder since the free agent signings have stopped, if there are strong discussions going on regarding a Reynolds trade. If a part of the return for Reynolds is pitching then I can see why the Pirates have not signed any additional free agent starting pitching. If they are going to move Reynolds I hope it happens soon in order to continue to build through the offseason.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

With Garcia, and now Hedges being signed, the Pirates need to drop two players from the 40 man roster. I am guessing that Underwood will be one of the players, and possibly Swaggerty will be designated for assignment. I would hate to see Swaggerty go, but it seemed that the FO was not overly impressed with him last season. His stay at Pittsburgh was very short, and they did not bring him back at the end of the season.