Bryan Reynolds

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

NewMexicoLobo

Bryan Reynolds

Post by NewMexicoLobo »

4D786F6F645D6F6F64636F0A0 wrote: Nobody likes being lowballed.  Nobody.  It leaves a sour taste in one's mouth.

I guarantee that, even though the Yankees finally coughed up the money to pay Aaron Judge what he was looking for, that Judge will never forget what he had to do to get it through Steinbrenner's mind before he paid it.

I'm not banging on Reynolds.  Far from that.  Let's face it.  He isn't Andrew McCutchen, who was a fairly recent MVP, who helped lead his club to three post-season appearances.  Even so, the Pirates didn't pay him what he as seeking.  And, that was a lot less than I'm sure what Reynolds expects.

They are $50 million apart.  No one disputed the numbers much.  $50 million.  That's how much they're apart.  The Pirates aren't known to go that high in total on many players.

And, that only addresses the money factor.  It doesn't even begin to consider whether Reynolds will think that the Pirates will be a top-contending club anytime soon. 

I'd be surprised if Reynolds is not dealt at the TDL.It's $50 million total, BUT, and this is a big but, per year it is $3 million.

I'm thinking if the Bucs went $100 million for six years it would get his attention, and then they could talk an option year, etc. Bucs could also front-end load the deal a little, paying him more for his prime years.

I think it could all still be doable.
Surgnbuck

Bryan Reynolds

Post by Surgnbuck »

I think the Pirates are going to keep Reynolds for all of 2023. He'd still have a year of control for a trade for 2024, so a team can keep him then do what I suggested earlier and they can offer the QO, flip him at the deadline themselves if they aren't going anywhere. There's still a lot of meat on the trade bone if the Pirates keep him all season, I don't buy his trade value goes down because of not getting traded this season.

I still think this scenario: the Pirates are going to play him all this season, and try talking about extension again after the season is over. If they still don't like what they're offered, they'll keep him and see what teams will offer at the trade deadline in 2024 to see if some team is desperate enough to overpay for a rental, or he plays out his guaranteed time here in Pittsburgh, he gets the QO, he rejects it, and the Bucs get the comp pick.
Bobster21

Bryan Reynolds

Post by Bobster21 »

113730252C20372129420 wrote: I think the Pirates are going to keep Reynolds for all of 2023. He'd still have a year of control for a trade for 2024, so a team can keep him then do what I suggested earlier and they can offer the QO, flip him at the deadline themselves if they aren't going anywhere. There's still a lot of meat on the trade bone if the Pirates keep him all season, I don't buy his trade value goes down because of not getting traded this season.

I still think this scenario: the Pirates are going to play him all this season, and try talking about extension again after the season is over. If they still don't like what they're offered, they'll keep him and see what teams will offer at the trade deadline in 2024 to see if some team is desperate enough to overpay for a rental, or he plays out his guaranteed time here in Pittsburgh, he gets the QO, he rejects it, and the Bucs get the comp pick.
Reynolds is under control thru 2025. Even tho he was called up early in 2019, he missed enough days of the season so that 2019 did not qualify as a service year. So he isn't a FA until 2026. So they could trade him after this year and the new team would still have him for 2 years.
Surgnbuck

Bryan Reynolds

Post by Surgnbuck »

6B464B5A5D4C5B1B18290 wrote: I think the Pirates are going to keep Reynolds for all of 2023. He'd still have a year of control for a trade for 2024, so a team can keep him then do what I suggested earlier and they can offer the QO, flip him at the deadline themselves if they aren't going anywhere. There's still a lot of meat on the trade bone if the Pirates keep him all season, I don't buy his trade value goes down because of not getting traded this season.

Reynolds is under control thru 2025. Even tho he was called up early in 2019, he missed enough days of the season so that 2019 did not qualify as a service year. So he isn't a FA until 2026. So they could trade him after this year and the new team would still have him for 2 years.
thank you for the correction
ChillinStation

Bryan Reynolds

Post by ChillinStation »

Hopefully he gets off to a hot start and then they can trade him at the deadline. Already sick of him and those 62 rbi .
mouse

Bryan Reynolds

Post by mouse »

The outside factor on keeping him another year or two is that he'll be coming up for arbitration soon. The arbitrators might give him more that the Pirates are willing to pay. That could speed him being traded.
Bobster21

Bryan Reynolds

Post by Bobster21 »

4269686D6D686F52756075686E6F010 wrote: Hopefully he gets off to a hot start and then they can trade him at the deadline. Already sick of him and those 62 rbi .
It's hard to drive in runs when people don't get on base. Nearly half of those 62 RBIs were for himself with his 27 HRs. The Pirates had the worst team OBP in the NL and only 2 AL teams were worse. He batted 2nd in all but 19 of his starts. People weren't getting on base at the bottom of the order. Vogelbach often batted 1st in front of him and clogged the bases. Hayes, Cruz and Newman split most of the leadoff duty and none were getting on base like a leadoff batter should. The year before that he was in a better RBI spot, hitting 3rd with Frazier having an outstanding year leading off until the TDL. Reynolds had 90 RBIs and Frazier, who was gone by July 26, scored the 2nd most runs on the team (Reynolds was 1st).
MaineBucs

Bryan Reynolds

Post by MaineBucs »

Salaries continue to explode.

Reynolds is a professional baseball player who was ranked among the top 6 - 8 center fielders in the recent MLB Top Ten Players by position. He wants to be paid what he is worth.

It appears that he doesn't want to be pushed out of Pittsburgh because he doesn't like the team or the City, it is simply a matter of being compensated fairly for his production.

Reynolds' first half last year frustrated me to no end. That said, he is the most likely player on the team to perform as an above average player. I believe the Pirates should do what is necessary to keep him on the team.

My thoughts:

1) If Plawecki is as valuable as suggested by Hill, try to move Hedges (who has demonstrated that he can't hit a lick) and free up $2.5 to $3.5 mil this season and go with a tandem of Plawecki and Heineman until Rodriguez is ready to assume some of the catching duties.

2) I continue to advocate moving Choi rather than paying him $4 - $5 mil.

3) If both of the above moves occurred, perhaps the Bucs could free up $6 - $8 mil. Use this money to help sign Reynolds to a 6 year deal that is front loaded. He is already owed $6.75 mil this year. Bump up this year's salary to $18 mil and next year's salary to $20, and then 4 years in the $16 mil range with some performance bonuses. In 2024, the Bucs will not be paying Hill ($8 mil), Santana ($6.75 mil) and Cutch ($5 mil), and most of the younger players who will remain will not be earning much. Total package in the range of $100 mil plus.

The Bucs have the money based on the free agent spending they have done this year. Keep your best player and show the younger Pirates that the team is willing to pay to compete. Demonstrate to the fans that the team is willing to compete. Create some more excitement and good will after the signing of Cutch.

And lastly, if the team doesn't perform, and Reynolds is having even decent years, teams will trade talent for a LF'er who is signed for 4 or so years at $16 mil per year.

Ecbucs

Bryan Reynolds

Post by Ecbucs »

7358595C5C595E63445144595F5E300 wrote: Hopefully he gets off to a hot start and then they can trade him at the deadline. Already sick of him and those 62 rbi .

why be sick of him after one low rbi year? It happened to Clemente, Stargell and Parker too (Stargell 31 homers and 85 rbi and he dropped from 102 to 73 from 1966 to 67 for example) '

Reynolds had 90 the in 2021. I don't see any reason to be sick of Reynolds unless you are sick with every player on the team.
GreenWeenie

Bryan Reynolds

Post by GreenWeenie »

7A565E595275425444370 wrote: Salaries continue to explode.   

Reynolds is a professional baseball player who was ranked among the top 6 - 8 center fielders in the recent MLB Top Ten Players by position.  He wants to be paid what he is worth.

It appears that he doesn't want to be pushed out of Pittsburgh because he doesn't like the team or the City, it is simply a matter of being compensated fairly for his production.

Reynolds' first half last year frustrated me to no end.  That said, he is the most likely player on the team to perform as an above average player.   I believe the Pirates should do what is necessary to keep him on the team.

My thoughts:

1)  If Plawecki is as valuable as suggested by Hill, try to move Hedges (who has demonstrated that he can't hit a lick) and free up $2.5 to $3.5 mil this season and go with a tandem of Plawecki and Heineman until Rodriguez is ready to assume some of the catching duties.

2)  I continue to advocate moving Choi rather than paying him $4 - $5 mil.

3)  If both of the above moves occurred, perhaps the Bucs could free up $6 - $8 mil.   Use this money to help sign Reynolds to a 6 year deal that is front loaded.  He is already owed $6.75 mil this year.  Bump up this year's salary to $18 mil and next year's salary to $20, and then 4 years in the $16 mil range with some performance bonuses.  In 2024, the Bucs will not be paying Hill ($8 mil), Santana ($6.75 mil) and Cutch ($5 mil), and most of the younger players who will remain will not be earning much.   Total package in the range of $100 mil plus.

The Bucs have the money based on the free agent spending they have done this year.   Keep your best player and show the younger Pirates that the team is willing to pay to compete.  Demonstrate to the fans that the team is willing to compete.  Create some more excitement and good will after the signing of Cutch. 

And lastly, if the team doesn't perform, and Reynolds is having even decent years, teams will trade talent for a LF'er who is signed for 4 or so years at $16 mil per year.   

How often do we hear that a player in Reynolds' position doesn't like playing on their team or in their city?

It doesn't sound like a smart thing for a player to say those kinds of things.  It makes life tougher for them and the people around them, and it's less attractive to potential suitors. 

None of us knows that the guy's thinking.  We only know what he's saying publicly. 

He didn't sound very convincing to me yesterday, but I don't draw a conclusion from it.

I think he's getting poor advice from someone. I think he should let his play do his talking. His play's a lot better.