Bryan Reynolds

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GermanTownship

Bryan Reynolds

Post by GermanTownship »

Wonder why the Pirates have not announced to the media and us, the amount of money and the number of years they have offered him. With all the talk about him being traded soon, I feel that it would be a big mistake to do so. Remember, he is under team control for three years. With all of the comments from Cherrington about him improving the team for next year, how exactly would trading him improve the team next season? Realistically, if Reynolds wants to increase his contract demands, have him prove it this season. Is Boras his agent? If so, this may be the agent speaking. What fans are left that attend games, will decrease if he’s traded for prospects. Hard to believe that with the recent free agent signings, I am optimistic about next year’s team. Plus, with the shift being eliminated, it should increase batting averages.
Bobster21

Bryan Reynolds

Post by Bobster21 »

He's not represented by Boras.
fjk090852-7

Bryan Reynolds

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I think the ship has sailed for Reynolds future in Pittsburgh. I would be surprised if he is with the team for ST in February. I like Reynolds, but requesting a trade through the media, shows he is no longer happy with the Pirate Organization due to the salary negotiations.

I am on the fence as to whether they should leak the amount of money offered and term of years. We do know it is more money than what Hayes agreed to. My hope is the Pirates can finalize a deal which benefits them now and in the future. Reynolds is under team control for 3 years which is valuable to a team acquiring him.
GreenWeenie

Bryan Reynolds

Post by GreenWeenie »

I hope that the Pirates do not enter into a certain kind of "match" with any player.  I prefer both sides go about business quietly.  It might be just me.

I'm not Aaron Judge, but if I was, I would've been plenty mad when the Yankees went public with an offer.
fjk090852-7

Bryan Reynolds

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Mets are bringing back Nimmo for 8 years at 162 million. I think Reynolds is better than Nimmo, so I could not see the Pirates paying that much for Reynolds. I admit that Nutting pinches pennies, but some of the players salaries are becoming off the chart.
Ecbucs

Bryan Reynolds

Post by Ecbucs »

7B77762D242D25282F302A1D0 wrote: Mets are bringing back Nimmo for 8 years at 162 million. I think Reynolds is better than Nimmo, so I could not see the Pirates paying that much for Reynolds. I admit that Nutting pinches pennies, but some of the players salaries are becoming off the chart.

yeah, I could see that Reynolds camp would say that Nimmo is a comp. Nimmo is free agent but older than Reynolds too. He will be 30 at start of 2023 season. Nimmo is only a comp because Reynolds still has arbitratio n years. This probably means that if Reynolds goes for arbitration is last couple of years he will make close to $20 million a season. The Pirates are going to decide to pay him soon or deal him. Not that my predictions have been great but I think one or the other will happen before spring training.

Nimmo has an injury history, has never hit 300 or had 20 homers and isn't a switch hitter.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Bryan Reynolds

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

466061766070030 wrote: Mets are bringing back Nimmo for 8 years at 162 million. I think Reynolds is better than Nimmo, so I could not see the Pirates paying that much for Reynolds. I admit that Nutting pinches pennies, but some of the players salaries are becoming off the chart.

yeah,  I could see that Reynolds camp would say that Nimmo is a comp.  Nimmo is free agent but older than Reynolds too. He will be 30 at start of 2023 season.  Nimmo is only a comp because Reynolds still has arbitratio n years.  [highlight]This probably means that if Reynolds goes for arbitration is last couple of years he will make close to $20 million a season.  The Pirates are going to decide to pay him soon or deal him.[/highlight]  Not that my predictions have been great but I think one or the other will happen before spring training.

Nimmo has an injury history, has never hit 300 or had 20 homers and isn't a switch hitter.

Nutting's past actions are the best indication as to what decision the Pirates will make regarding Reynolds. It's inconceivable to think that a Pirates player of Reynolds's stature will ever be paid the market rate price that other players of that ability receive. We should never be surprised when guys like him are dealt away.
Bobster21

Bryan Reynolds

Post by Bobster21 »

297F697D726878737E695B7C767A727735781B0 wrote: Mets are bringing back Nimmo for 8 years at 162 million. I think Reynolds is better than Nimmo, so I could not see the Pirates paying that much for Reynolds. I admit that Nutting pinches pennies, but some of the players salaries are becoming off the chart.

yeah,  I could see that Reynolds camp would say that Nimmo is a comp.  Nimmo is free agent but older than Reynolds too. He will be 30 at start of 2023 season.  Nimmo is only a comp because Reynolds still has arbitratio n years.  [highlight]This probably means that if Reynolds goes for arbitration is last couple of years he will make close to $20 million a season.  The Pirates are going to decide to pay him soon or deal him.[/highlight]  Not that my predictions have been great but I think one or the other will happen before spring training.

Nutting's past actions are the best indication as to what decision the Pirates will make regarding Reynolds.  It's inconceivable to think that a Pirates player of Reynolds's stature will ever be paid the market rate price that other players of that ability receive.  We should never be surprised when guys like him are dealt away.
The current Reynolds situation only accentuates what we know all too well about how Nutting's Pirates operate. They don't trade for established players with Reynolds' skill set because players like that come with large contracts that Nutting refuses to pay. They don't sign free agents with Reynolds' skill set because players like that require large contracts that Nutting refuses to pay. They don't retain their own top players when doing so would require large contracts because Nutting refuses to pay. They busted their own myth of "spending when the time is right" by blowing up the 2013-2015 playoff teams instead of spending after receiving the revenue of record attendance in 2015 and having the 2nd best record in MLB. Neither revenue nor performance impacts spending in this organization.

The current process of "building" with prospects (either drafted or traded for) and supplementing with reclamation projects, 2nd or 3rd tier free agents and waiver wire acquisitions is not a precursor to a larger plan of assembling a strong roster by acquiring key players from other teams and paying their own top players to stay. No, what you see is what you get. They are not really building other than benefitting from whatever progress the prospects make before they are traded away for new prospects before they can leave as free agents and make the money they can't make as Pirates. The wins will increase as the young players improve through experience. But then the best of those players have to be moved and replaced by new prospects.

How good will the team be with Cruz, Hayes, Contreras, Suwinski, Castro, Castillo, Peguero, Henry Davis, Endy Rodriguez, Bae, Priester, etc before the best of that lot are moved to avoid paying them market value? Keller is a FA in 2026. So his time as a Pirates will be up in 2024 or 2025 when he is traded with some control left on his contract. That is the process awaiting any of the prospects who find success as Pirates. So they aren't actually building. They are just planning on whatever improvement they can enjoy from the permanent strategy of fielding a team using maturing prospects, reclamation projects, free agents passed over by other teams and waiver wire acquisitions. The revolving door policy will never create a championship team.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Bryan Reynolds

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

705D50414657400003320 wrote: Mets are bringing back Nimmo for 8 years at 162 million. I think Reynolds is better than Nimmo, so I could not see the Pirates paying that much for Reynolds. I admit that Nutting pinches pennies, but some of the players salaries are becoming off the chart.

Nutting's past actions are the best indication as to what decision the Pirates will make regarding Reynolds.  It's inconceivable to think that a Pirates player of Reynolds's stature will ever be paid the market rate price that other players of that ability receive.  We should never be surprised when guys like him are dealt away.
The current Reynolds situation only accentuates what we know all too well about how Nutting's Pirates operate. They don't trade for established players with Reynolds' skill set because players like that come with large contracts that Nutting refuses to pay. They don't sign free agents with Reynolds' skill set because players like that require large contracts that Nutting refuses to pay. They don't retain their own top players when doing so would require large contracts because Nutting refuses to pay. They busted their own myth of "spending when the time is right" by blowing up the 2013-2015 playoff teams instead of spending after receiving the revenue of record attendance in 2015 and having the 2nd best record in MLB. Neither revenue nor performance impacts spending in this organization.

The current process of "building" with prospects (either drafted or traded for) and supplementing with reclamation projects, 2nd or 3rd tier free agents and waiver wire acquisitions is not a precursor to a larger plan of assembling a strong roster by acquiring key players from other teams and paying their own top players to stay. No, what you see is what you get. They are not really building other than benefitting from whatever progress the prospects make before they are traded away for new prospects before they can leave as free agents and make the money they can't make as Pirates. The wins will increase as the young players improve through experience. But then the best of those players have to be moved and replaced by new prospects.

How good will the team be with Cruz, Hayes, Contreras, Suwinski, Castro, Castillo, Peguero, Henry Davis, Endy Rodriguez, Bae, Priester, etc before the best of that lot are moved to avoid paying them market value? Keller is a FA in 2026. So his time as a Pirates will be up in 2024 or 2025 when he is traded with some control left on his contract. That is the process awaiting any of the prospects who find success as Pirates. So they aren't actually building. They are just planning on whatever improvement they can enjoy from the permanent strategy of fielding a team using maturing prospects, reclamation projects, free agents passed over by other teams and waiver wire acquisitions. The revolving door policy will never create a championship team.         

I think you just stated Bob Nutting's business plan.
WildwoodDave2

Bryan Reynolds

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

500610040B11010A071022050F030B0E4C01620 wrote: Mets are bringing back Nimmo for 8 years at 162 million. I think Reynolds is better than Nimmo, so I could not see the Pirates paying that much for Reynolds. I admit that Nutting pinches pennies, but some of the players salaries are becoming off the chart.

I think you just stated Bob Nutting's business plan.

You certainly have hit the nail on the head. I for one, even though I will always be a big Pirate fan, have resigned myself to the fact that as long as this bozo owns the team, your assessment is 100% correct. Also, no salary cap in baseball will doom us for eternity unless Nutting sells.