Kang to miss the start of spring training

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BenM

Post by BenM »

I didn't know this before I read this Deadspin article, but an earlier application for a visa for Kang was apparently rejected.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Here is the problem. With the immagration crackdown, persons with criminal convictions are not to be granted visas. We are seeing that with students who have minor convictions. The question is whether being an athlete overrules the regular rules. If he has been rejected once, that is not a good sign.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

313D3C676E676F62657A60570 wrote: What seems odd is that once Kang went on the restricted list the Bucs added Chase Simpson to the 40 man roster. Simpson  only played at high A Bradenton last season. I would have thought they would have left the spot open due to the possibility of signing or acquiring a player with some MLB experience.
Heard the Neal Huntington Show this afternoon and from his comments there is an open spot on the roster after Kang was placed on the restricted list. The roster on the MLB Pirate site shows Simpson as being listed, but this must be an error. Who knows the Bucs may add a player in the next week or two.

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

222E2F747D747C71766973440 wrote: What seems odd is that once Kang went on the restricted list the Bucs added Chase Simpson to the 40 man roster. Simpson  only played at high A Bradenton last season. I would have thought they would have left the spot open due to the possibility of signing or acquiring a player with some MLB experience.
Heard the Neal Huntington Show this afternoon and from his comments there is an open spot on the roster after Kang was placed on the restricted list. The roster on the MLB Pirate site shows Simpson as being listed, but this must be an error. Who knows the Bucs may add a player in the next week or two.

Hanson botched 3 plays at SS yesterday. Kang was supposed to play some SS this year to give Mercer a break. After yesterday, they may look for an extra infielder who can play SS til Kang returns.
Jerseykc

Post by Jerseykc »

757E767A7F7E652026516870797E7E3F727E110 wrote: That's the easiest prospective interview ever.   Through a translator he says "I have no comment"

The comment "I did not have sexual relations with that woman" was forgiven before. 

Agreed.  No comment.  Move on.

3 DUIs and an "incident" all point to a big "problem" with Kang. Yes, he does well on the field. But off the field, he could kill someone. You don't just move on from that.

I wish the Pirates would "move on" and not bring him back to the team.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I'm really surprised by this move. I thought Kang would miss some spring training, but not actual games. I didn't think a work visa would hold him up.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Just saw a tweet from Rob Biertempel of the Trib and he said Kang is going to appeal his sentence. That sounds like he won't return to the States for a much longer time. If this is true no wonder the Bucs placed him on the restricted list.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Appeal his suspended sentence? That's . . . something . . . now, isn't it?
PMike

Post by PMike »

Just because he is appealing the sentence, it doesn't mean he has to stay in Korea. That's what lawyers are for.

Just because he is appealing the sentence, it doesn't mean that he can't stay right for the next two years. He may feel the sentence is too harsh (even suspended). He also has a whole ton of money and it is probably worth it for him to fight it in the courts and get the disciplinary measures reduced from his record.

Just because he has been nailed for DUI 3 times, does not insinuate that he has a problem or a long history of drinking. To suggest he has done it exponentially more is a bit careless. Body chemistry is a huge thing for a person in regards to alcohol. The video of him driving this last time was shocking. He was crazy out of control. And yet he was only .02 over the legal limit. One would have guessed that he was way over. Maybe his body chemistry doesn't allow him to drink more than one or two drinks with out serious struggle. Maybe he was texting going around the corner and lost the car. Maybe alcohol had nothing to do with it this time.

OTOH, maybe he has a serious problem. I don't know. Nor do any of us.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

595152657356717E100 wrote: This just keeps getting stranger.  If Kang wasn't such a good player on the field, they would have cut bait a long time ago.  Part of me really wants him back (the part of me that's a Pirate fan), but the rational part of me realizes it's time to move on.  As you say...who appeals a suspended sentence? 

At this stage, I'm not expecting Kang to ever wear a Pirates jersey again.  It's my version of plan for the worst, hope for the best.  But, as I see it, there is just too much working against him right now.

-U.S. State Department and getting a Visa

-discipline from the Pirates

-discipline from MLB

-and now whatever time it takes for the appeal to play itself out

As far as I'm concerned, he's done and David Freese is our starting third baseman.  Very disappointing because Kang really lengthens our lineup.

I was having a discussion with some friends of mine, one of whom is an attorney.  He was saying to me that there is a statistic that for every time someone gets caught driving drunk, there are 2,000 other times that the person did it and got away with it.  I have no idea if that statistic is true or not, but if it is, that means Kang has done this approximately 6,000 times.  That's staggering.  Let's say it's even 1% of that number.  That's still 60 times.  He's lucky he hasn't injured or killed anyone yet.

I bring this up in light of this revelation.  I'm kind of answering my own question.  Who appeals a suspended sentence?  Presumably someone who doesn't think he can abide by the terms of said suspended sentence.  (i.e. no drinking and driving for two years.)

Seems like everyone appeals everything now a days. Is there any harm in trying to get it reduced? He certainly has th emoney to do so.

I doubt the Pirates or MLB suspend him or even punish him. The Pirates might fine him, but the Players Union will be all over any discipline. No player has ever been suspended for a DUI.

Those numbers have to be way off. Kang has only been alive for 11,000 days. And someone thinks he has been drunk driving 6,000 of those days? I guess one can drive drunk more than once in a day, but this is a huge stretch in my opinion.

I don't like what he has done. He paid his price, will do his time. I hope he learned and can get back on the field. I would feel that way for any player. I also assume the Pirates know more than we do and I am happy they took action just in case.