Cutch Hitting .211

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Cutch Hitting .211

Post by Bobster21 »

Cutch is now batting .357 (5 for 14) with 2 HRs since batting 6th. Maybe a coincidence. But maybe he feels less pressure and it's paying off.
Tintin

Cutch Hitting .211

Post by Tintin »

I've been as frustrated as the next guy with Cutch over the last season and a half, so I was geeked to see him end the game yesterday.

While we as fans have such a "what have you done for me lately" attitude, it was nice to step beck in time and get a flashback of Prime Cutch yesterday.

Not being from the area, or having no ties to Pittsburgh, Cutch is my Clemente or Stargell, in that he's the guy who made them great (never liked Bonds).

It saddens me that he will likely be gone in the next 73 days, and I hope he pulls it together and brings a kings ransom back, but he will always be a Pirate too me. If nothing else, days like today are what I will remember about Cutch.
dmetz

Cutch Hitting .211

Post by dmetz »

What have you done for me in the past 1.5 seasons?   Great that he's hitting homers again now for a spell.   That's what he's been trying to do for a couple years now, glad he's having a bit of success at being that low average, same # of doubles as homeruns Pedro Alverez type hitter.

Congrats to him, swag it up out there.
sdimmick3

Cutch Hitting .211

Post by sdimmick3 »

040D05141A600 wrote: And there are two perfect examples if anyone watches these games anymore.  He's in CF camped out under a fly ball, and he fakes swatting a gnats at the last minute.  Making jokes at Polanco.  Oh how cool, until you drop one of the 5-6 you do every year because you're clowning around

Then, just another perfect example of the almighty Cutch.  Ground ball to short deep in the hole.   Cora is literally pointing right at third.  A complete stop sign, not even "round it" but STOP, because the shortstop was waiting for him to round 3rd to throw him out.

Cutch has his head in left field?? Completely turned around, jogs through the stop sign and gets thrown out at home laughing.

It's not funny Cutch.  You've become one the most fundamentally unsound, "too good" to play the game right,  player I've seen.

It's cool though, because you homered and doubled for the first time in a month.  All good right? Wrong. 

You shouldn't be allowed to wear the name "McCutchen" on the back of your jersey.  You're a shadow of the real McCutchen.  Show me some heart!  ;)

Im not Cutch, but my guess is I would have been benched for that shenanigan. I know, you just don't bench him because he makes too much money, he's the face of the franchise, blah blah....I sure hope he steps it up like he has lately, it will make all his bonehead mistakes go unnoticed.

2-3 today...seriously, why would a drop in the order be needed to kickstart your heart?
johnfluharty

Cutch Hitting .211

Post by johnfluharty »

They have also been working on some swing mechanics.
Bobster21

Cutch Hitting .211

Post by Bobster21 »

26313C38383C363E66550 wrote:

2-3 today...seriously, why would a drop in the order be needed to kickstart your heart?

I've always thought it wise to move a struggling top of the order hitter down in the order. After awhile (and it's been more than a year for Cutch) the frustration-not only of failing to produce in general but also failing to perform in the key role of a #3 batter-creates additional pressure that further hinders the ability to snap out of it. Moving Cutch down eases the pressure. He's no longer the guy who has the responsibility of being a key hitter in the #3 slot. He can go to the plate with a different mindset. This should have been done a long time ago.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Cutch Hitting .211

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I understand the move, but I don't understand the mentality. Why does he have less pressure now? He is doing the same thing, it is still him against the pitcher.

Is he really seeing different pitches? Why doesn't he think he doesn't have to hit in the six hole?

Its not just McCutchen. Alvarez was never a good clean up hitter, but he sure did hit at times in the seven hole.
notes34

Cutch Hitting .211

Post by notes34 »

4C4D5647511116220 wrote: I truly feel bad for Cutch.  He's gotta be embarrassed. 

The substitution of an MVP CFer with a low level AAA player is staggering.  To complicate the matter, the FO has to manage him with the respect of a "star" not some AAAA journey-man. Can't just move him to the 7 or 8 hole.   Very complicated situation.
I would certainly move him. For his good and the good of the team. Maybe it would take some pressure off if he didn't feel like he was letting his teammates down as the #3 bat, of which a great deal is expected. If he starts hitting again, then move him up. If he doesn't start hitting there's nothing he can say and the move would look correct to all. 

Yes I would move him to 6. I will stand by the metrics that he "was" hitting the ball hard and getting poor results. Recently (in the last handful of games) he has looked really bad. I feel for him. I really think the bad results were getting to him and he is now pressing more than ever. He needs a breather, but unfortunately with Marte gone that won't happen. In the 6 spot he can relax a little.

Frazier

Harrison

Bell

Freese

Cervelli

Cutch

Jaso

Mercer

So far so good. Hitting .394 since his move to the 6 spot. Average is still low but has crept up 30 points.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Cutch Hitting .211

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

This is really amazing to me. Does he really carry that much pressure batting third? I sure hope there is more to it than that.
mouse

Cutch Hitting .211

Post by mouse »

The announcers have said that he is working hard to correct his swing, and feels more free to do that in a lower spot in the batting order, as the team needs someone to produce in the three spot. So in that sense there is more to it.