Troy Tulowitski...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

TBird

Troy Tulowitski...

Post by TBird »

No I don't think that was his only reason not to sign. I know that there were a lot of different factors involved. I am just saying how much Hurdle loves these vets, washed out or not. From what I heard that Tulo had his best seasons with Hurdle at the helm.

I am sorry for ruffling everyones feathers about this. This is just an opinion and nothing else.
SammyKhalifa

Troy Tulowitski...

Post by SammyKhalifa »

06103B2036520 wrote: No I don't think that was his only reason not to sign. I know that there were a lot of different factors involved.  I am just saying how much  Hurdle loves these vets, washed out or not. From what I heard that Tulo had his best seasons with Hurdle at the helm.

I am sorry for ruffling everyones feathers about this. This is just an  opinion and nothing else.
I thought there was a chance for him to come here and play. I'm assuming the no trade thing was a factor, but also I didn't realize the Yankees needed someone.
Bobster21

Troy Tulowitski...

Post by Bobster21 »

73654E5543270 wrote: No I don't think that was his only reason not to sign. I know that there were a lot of different factors involved.  I am just saying how much  Hurdle loves these vets, washed out or not. From what I heard that Tulo had his best seasons with Hurdle at the helm.

I am sorry for ruffling everyones feathers about this. This is just an  opinion and nothing else.

No worries. I looked it up and Tulo and Hurdle have less history than I (and probably others) thought. Tulo's first taste of MLB was an August 30 call-up in 2006. He played most of September and got in 25 games. In his official rookie season of 2007 he was outstanding. But the injuries began a year later when he missed May, most of June and several weeks in July 2008. It was a disappointing season with just 101 games, a .263 BA, 8 HRS, 46 RBIs. He rebounded and had an outstanding season 2009 but Hurdle was fired after just 46 games. So the Tulo/Hurdle history consists only of 25 games in 2006, 1 full season in 2007, an injury shortened season in 2008 and 46 games in 2009.

Re Sammy's point, it's a good question as to why the Blue Jays didn't keep him. I suspect they feel he can no longer be relied upon to start (probably some frustration there), he wasn't even very good when somewhat healthy for them in 2016 and now he's 34 coming off a missed season altogether. As Sammy noted, you would think they could at least put Tulo on the bench but he wanted to play (which was his criteria for teams seeking him) so maybe the Jays just wanted to do him a favor and release him to give him that opportunity (even tho they didn't believe he could handle much playing time and therefore didn't think they were losing much).
SammyKhalifa

Troy Tulowitski...

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Yankees placed SS Troy Tulowitzki on the 10-day injured list with a left calf strain.

Tulowitzki suffered the injury in Wednesday's game against the Yankees and is now looking at yet another extended absence, though manager Aaron Boone categorized it as a "mild" strain. Gleyber Torres will take over as the primary shortstop in New York, with Tyler Wade and recent callup Thairo Estrada probably sharing second base duties. DJ LeMahieu is already filling in for the injured Miguel Andujar (shoulder) at third.

I still would have just kept him if I were Toronto though. They probably have an insurance policy on that giant contract, I'd imagine.
fjk090852-7

Troy Tulowitski...

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Tulowitski announced his retirement today.