Troy Tulowitski...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

Troy Tulowitski...

Post by SteadyFreddy »

What are the chances if any of the Pirates possibly signing him?? I don’t know how much he is going to cost and he has had health issues too but he has played under Clint before and has a relationship with Tulo from back in their Colorado days. I don’t know if this is the right move but this team has to do something at Shortstop. You can’t go into this season with guys like Newman and Gonzalez as your potential starting shortstops. They have saved a ton of money in salary now with Nova being gone go out and sign a bat that can help this offense score some runs.
GermanTownship

Troy Tulowitski...

Post by GermanTownship »

The Pirates should see if he would be interested in playing for them. It's not like it would cost them much. They've been successful in getting other players that wore out their welcome with other clubs (Burnett & Liriano). Plus, he also played for Hurdle in Colorado.
Bobster21

Troy Tulowitski...

Post by Bobster21 »

Tulo would only cost the MLB minimum of $600,000 as the Blue Jays are responsible for the rest. He's guaranteed 20 million for 2019, 12 million for 2020 with a 4 million buyout for 2021. So money isn't the issue for him or for the team that signs him. He'll likely seek a team that would start him and give him a chance to resurrect his career. That would work for the Pirates who--at the minimum salary--would have nothing to lose by seeing if he can fill the hole at SS until Newman or Tucker is ready. And if Tulo didn't work out, he could be released at no more cost than releasing a minimum salary rookie.
OrlandoMerced

Troy Tulowitski...

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I imagine Tulo will have a number of options for 2018. I would imagine if he's looking to rehab value for one more big money deal, playing in PNC Park would not appeal to him.
SammyKhalifa

Troy Tulowitski...

Post by SammyKhalifa »

How is he on the "even able to play at all" front? I know it's been a while, is he still injured? I have not been keeping track.

It was a shame what happened to his career with the injuries, though.
BucsFaninGA

Troy Tulowitski...

Post by BucsFaninGA »

I would take a chance on Tulo! Why not, guy had good results with Hurdle. I wonder what the Pirate Brian Thrust will do here...We sure need a reliable and proven good glove shortstop....Beat'em Bucs 8-)
SammyKhalifa

Troy Tulowitski...

Post by SammyKhalifa »

6C5B4D5D684F404740696F2E0 wrote: I would take a chance on Tulo! Why not, guy had good results with Hurdle. I wonder what the Pirate Brian Thrust will do here...We sure need a reliable and proven good glove shortstop....Beat'em Bucs 8-)
But is he reliable though? I don't have a good grasp on that, but I imagine if he were the Blue Jays wouldn't just cut him for nothing . . .
BenM

Troy Tulowitski...

Post by BenM »

64565A5A4E7C5F565B5E5156370 wrote: I would take a chance on Tulo! Why not, guy had good results with Hurdle. I wonder what the Pirate Brian Thrust will do here...We sure need a reliable and proven good glove shortstop....Beat'em Bucs 8-)
But is he reliable though?  I don't have a good grasp on that, but I imagine if he were the Blue Jays wouldn't just cut him for nothing . . .

No.

Heel injuries, which required surgery to both feet, caused the 34-year-old Tulowitzki to miss the entire 2018 season. He has not appeared in a big league game since July 28, 2017, and a variety of injuries caused him to miss 545 of 1,134 possible games from 2012-18.
BucsFaninGA

Troy Tulowitski...

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Sounds like Tulo is definitely grounded with bad wheels... :(
IABucFan

Troy Tulowitski...

Post by IABucFan »

At one time, I considered Tulo the best SS in MLB by a wide margin. When I lived in Denver, I'd get to a handful of Rockies games a year, whether they were playing the Pirates or not. He was head and shoulders better than pretty much every other player on the field. Great glove, great arm, hit for power, hit for average. Not much speed, but I'll take four of five tools. Regardless, I don't think that guy exists anymore. I think Tulo is done, sadly. At one time, I thought he would be a surefire Hall of Famer. Of course, I thought the same about Cutch. I think he's just about done, too. And Tulo is older, and more injured. If it were five years ago, I'd be all over this. Now, I'd rather just roll with Newman and see what happens.