Who will Bucs add to handle catching

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

An option makes the Maile signing look more like he's a depth option and someone else will be signed.

If we were going to carry 3 catchers then I think grabbing one in the Rule V would have happened. Someone mentioned that the Phillies (not sure if it was them but that's what I recall) didn't protect two catchers who had fairly good prospect status. With 26 players this year I thought we might do that.
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

7A5B4E477F465D4E5B4A2F0 wrote: An option makes the Maile signing look more like he's a depth option and someone else will be signed.

If we were going to carry 3 catchers then I think grabbing one in the Rule V would have happened. Someone mentioned that the Phillies (not sure if it was them but that's what I recall) didn't protect two catchers who had fairly good prospect status. With 26 players this year I thought we might do that.
Your memory is true, Utah. The Phillies' 13th and 17th ranked catchers were unprotected: Rafael Marchan and Rodolfo Duran. I share your disappointment.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

If the Bucs new management decides to go with the two-way player why not let Brault work behind the plate. He sure as heck could hit better than Maile! And it would be a real oddity with a LH catcher! ;D ;D ;D
Leyland1948

Post by Leyland1948 »

Possum, I seem to recall a left handed catcher way back for the Pirates. My old memory could be 100% wrong. Do you recall one?
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

58716D78757A70252D202C140 wrote: Possum, I seem to recall a left handed catcher way back for the Pirates. My old memory could be 100% wrong. Do you recall one?

Benny Distefano caught 3 games playing 6 innings in 1989.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... be01.shtml
Quail

Post by Quail »

705945505D52580D0508043C0 wrote: Possum, I seem to recall a left handed catcher way back for the Pirates. My old memory could be 100% wrong. Do you recall one?

Ed Ott and Jesse Gonder were both left-hand hitting catchers for the Bucs. There may be others, but those two came to mind right away.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

4367737B7E120 wrote: Possum, I seem to recall a left handed catcher way back for the Pirates. My old memory could be 100% wrong. Do you recall one?

Ed Ott and Jesse Gonder were both left-hand hitting catchers for the Bucs. There may be others, but those two came to mind right away.
Smoky Burgess batted left handed. He was a heck of a pinch hitter. I think Bob Prince would say Smoky could get a hit even if you would wake him up on Christmas.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

Milt May, Lavalliere, Doumit switched
Leyland1948

Post by Leyland1948 »

Thanks guys but I was referring to a left handed catcher not a left handed hitting catcher. Sorry for the mix up!
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Jason Castro has signed with the Angels. The veteran free agent catching depth is becoming less and less.