Who will Bucs add to handle catching

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Saw where Washington has not picked up Yan Gomes contract. He would not be a bad addition. We certainly need to improve behind the plate. What do other Pirate Fans think?

Beat'em Bucs 8-)
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

645345556047484F486167260 wrote: Saw where Washington has not picked up Yan Gomes contract. He would not be a bad addition. We certainly need to improve behind the plate. What do other Pirate Fans think?

Beat'em Bucs   8-)

One of Austin Romine or Travis d'Arnaud
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

5747467167676B040 wrote: Saw where Washington has not picked up Yan Gomes contract. He would not be a bad addition. We certainly need to improve behind the plate. What do other Pirate Fans think?

Beat'em Bucs   8-)

One of Austin Romine or Travis d'Arnaud

Gomes or Romine would be nice additions. They need a strong defensive catcher, who is also an excellent pitch framer.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

Trade Diaz and Stallings for whatever you can get. Go with two roster filler types. If you can’t find takers for Diaz and Stallings, play them, hope they improve, and that there's a desperate team at the deadline. They need to punt this year. Sell so many people that Nutting'd dog starts hiding under the couch cause it thinks it’s next.
mouse

Post by mouse »

There are those who would argue that Diaz and Stallings are roster filler types. Do you see the Pirates getting much in trade for either? I would expect Diaz to bounce back a bit this year. That early illness last year got him off track. Stallings will be a good backup. Given what are certain to be continuing limits on resources, there are other areas I'd shore up first.
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Would love to see them get Romine or Gomes. We need someone who can catch and hit. Gomes is my 1st choice! Still don't know what happened to Diaz this spring.

Beat'em Bucs 8-)
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

How about Travis d'Arnaud? He has some pop and can play the position well enough. Get rid of Diaz and keep Stallings around as a backup and once or twice a week starter.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

2D2F353325400 wrote: There are those who would argue that Diaz and Stallings are roster filler types. Do you see the Pirates getting much in trade for either? I would expect Diaz to bounce back a bit this year. That early illness last year got him off track. Stallings will be a good backup. Given what are certain to be continuing limits on resources, there are other areas I'd shore up first.

Yes, they are. And I’d be ok hanging onto them, especially Diaz, as I think he’s better than he played last year. Catching is always a position of need, so if they think they’re selling low now and can get a better return at the trade deadline, I’m ok with that route. What I absolutely don’t want is bringing in a guy like Gomes who will be 33 next year. There are more holes on this team than a Swiss cheese factory. Next year is already a lost year. The sooner they realize that, the better. I want moves made with an eye towards 2022 at the earliest. I don’t care if they go 0-162 next year, honestly. That’s really not all that different from 72-90. Trade them now or at the deadline; I don’t really care, as long as they maximize the return with an eye on the team three to five years from now.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

0C0E141204610 wrote: There are those who would argue that Diaz and Stallings are roster filler types. Do you see the Pirates getting much in trade for either? I would expect Diaz to bounce back a bit this year. That early illness last year got him off track. Stallings will be a good backup. Given what are certain to be continuing limits on resources, there are other areas I'd shore up first.

Not too long ago, I thought Diaz was going to be more than a filler roster spot. Times have severely changed.
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

MLB Trade Rumors released its Top 50 FA list and D'Arnaud and Castro were on it, but, though listed as a team of interest, they didn't predict Pittsburgh as a landing place for either.

I'm cool with Stallings/Diaz in 2020. I want to see us make a trade for a catcher with some upside at the AA level. We could offer one of Crick, Rodriguez or Feliz and/or AAA INF Kevin Kramer in trade. Toronto and Atlanta have multiple catchers on their Top 30 prospect lists. Kramer is blocked in our system.

Heck, I'd be happy to welcome back Reese McGuire, who is ranked below two other Blue Jay catching prospects.

For what it's worth, they thought we'd get RF Kole Calhoun, former Angel, on a 1 yr.-6M deal, and LHSP Drew Smyly on a 1-yr., 3M deal. I'd be happy to get Kalhoun at that price!