Re-thinking Polanco

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Re-thinking Polanco

Post by fjk090852-7 »

664B46575041561615240 wrote: As we knew ,Polanco cleared waivers this afternoon, and he is still on the roster. It doesn’t appear they are going to release him during this season, but I wonder if he will come up with some minor injury in September, so his roster spot could be taken by one of the prospects. The September roster is only 28 players again this season, so the Bucs may need Polanco’s  spot to add one of the minor league players.
I think the limit to 28 in September is a bad idea and an overreaction to the old rule of as many as 14 (with 26 of the 40 on the active roster already). The expanded roster was also a chance to bring back players from the IL without having to send someone out. So it wasn't only about bringing up minor leaguers. Also, teams always used to bring up a 3rd catcher just for emergencies. But only 2 extras isn't enough if you want an extra catcher, have 1 or 2 injured and due back soon and have 1 or 2 prospects to give some MLB expedience. I would like to see the September rosters expanded by as many as 5. But since that's not the rule, Polanco should be released if they can't fake an injury.
I like your idea for 5 extra players for the month of September. That gives the team the additional catcher, a couple bench additions, and two extra pitchers. Maybe the Players Union will discuss that in the upcoming contract discussions.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Re-thinking Polanco

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

505C5D060F060E03041B01360 wrote: As we knew ,Polanco cleared waivers this afternoon, and he is still on the roster. It doesn’t appear they are going to release him during this season, but I wonder if he will come up with some minor injury in September, so his roster spot could be taken by one of the prospects. The September roster is only 28 players again this season, so the Bucs may need Polanco’s  spot to add one of the minor league players.

I hope they're not keeping him because they feel he's earned it. He's not one of the great players in Pirates history, so receiving special treatment doesn't add up.  They don't owe him anything.  He's going to be paid whether he's here or not so, again, keeping him is causing another player an opportunity.  It makes no sense.
DemDog

Re-thinking Polanco

Post by DemDog »

I have been one of Polanco's biggest bashers this season but now that is time in Black & Gold is almost over and not in a really nice way, I have to change my tune.

Gregory sure did not become the All-Star we hoped he would be, maybe it all happened from the time he was a kid about little league age. He was not taught the basic fundamentals. I question that by the time he got to PNC and had to play RF and the Clemente Wall, why didn't the OF coach spend hours hitting fungoes off the wall and teaching Gregory how to play the wall.

Gregory says he loves Pittsburgh and he does it with a big smile. Do you ever not see him smiling and being great with the fans? And even the Pgh sports media say he is a great interview and pleasant and willing to do so.

Yes, Gregory, your time as a Buc is ending very soon. Thanks Gregory for the memories, both good and bad. I wish you well.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Re-thinking Polanco

Nice sentiment, Possum. As I said in another thread, Polanco seems like a real good guy, and I wish him well, also. But he’s no longer able to play the game at the level required and, as what happens to all players who reach that point, his time to go has come.

Financially, if he’s been diligent, he should never know want. He’s become set for life from his time in baseball in general and from the Pirates in particular, so he’s owed nothing more. Keeping him around just prolongs the inevitable separation and unnecessarily delays both he and the Pirates from moving on. I really don’t know what the club is waiting for.
ArnoldRothstein

Re-thinking Polanco

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

04252D042F27400 wrote: I have been one of Polanco's biggest bashers this season but now that is time in Black & Gold is almost over and not in a really nice way, I have to change my tune.

Gregory sure did not become the All-Star we hoped he would be, maybe it all happened from the time he was a kid about little league age.  He was not taught the basic fundamentals.  I question that by the time he got to PNC and had to play RF and the Clemente Wall, why didn't the OF coach spend hours hitting fungoes off the wall and teaching Gregory how to play the wall. 

Gregory says he loves Pittsburgh and he does it with a big smile.  Do you ever not see him smiling and being great with the fans?  And even the Pgh sports media say he is a great interview and pleasant and willing to do so.

Yes, Gregory, your time as a Buc is ending very soon.  Thanks Gregory for the memories, both good and bad.  I wish you well.

This is just obnoxious at this point. I haven't objected because it's your place, and your place, your rules, but the abuse thrown at the guy has been just relentless.
GreenWeenie

Re-thinking Polanco

Post by GreenWeenie »

Couldn't agree more. He's bashed every GDT, including on games he doesn't start. Why? Because something's said about the game before. @@@@

It's not Polanco's fault that he is on the team. If anyone deserves to be banged on, it's the guys who have kept him.

We can't be critical of them.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Re-thinking Polanco

1A293534373F09342F33282F3E32355B0 wrote: I have been one of Polanco's biggest bashers this season but now that is time in Black & Gold is almost over and not in a really nice way, I have to change my tune.

Gregory sure did not become the All-Star we hoped he would be, maybe it all happened from the time he was a kid about little league age.  He was not taught the basic fundamentals.  I question that by the time he got to PNC and had to play RF and the Clemente Wall, why didn't the OF coach spend hours hitting fungoes off the wall and teaching Gregory how to play the wall. 

Gregory says he loves Pittsburgh and he does it with a big smile.  Do you ever not see him smiling and being great with the fans?  And even the Pgh sports media say he is a great interview and pleasant and willing to do so.

Yes, Gregory, your time as a Buc is ending very soon.  Thanks Gregory for the memories, both good and bad.  I wish you well.

This is just obnoxious at this point. I haven't objected because it's your place, and your place, your rules, but the abuse thrown at the guy has been just relentless.

I don't believe anyone has "abused" him. He's been made fun of a few times, but mostly his very poor performance has been the focus, which is completely fair, rather than anyone attacking him personally. My frustration lies mostly with either Nutting/Cherington/Shelton making sure he's in the line-up day after day, at the expense of a younger player who needs both experience and to be assessed. There isn't anyone else who thinks he should be, except Shed, and that's just him stirring the pot.
johnfluharty

Re-thinking Polanco

Post by johnfluharty »

I don't understand it either. Okay, he's well liked in the clubhouse, but everyone in that clubhouse has to know his option won't be picked up and so he's just a short timer. Understanding that, his teammates should understand if he's benched in favor of other guys who might be around next year. I would love to ask Shelton why in the world he's playing him almost everyday.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Re-thinking Polanco

7A7F787E767C657871626469100 wrote: I don't understand it either. Okay, he's well liked in the clubhouse, but everyone in that clubhouse has to know his option won't be picked up and so he's just a short timer.  Understanding that, his teammates should understand if he's benched in favor of other guys who might be around next year. [highlight]I would love to ask Shelton why in the world he's playing him almost everyday.[/highlight]

Me, too, but I doubt we’d be told the real reason. If the Pirates think Polanco still has something left, they wouldn’t have waived him.