Game Thread - July 31 - Bucs vs Phillies

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

466B66777061763635040 wrote: Brubaker now has a career record of 8-25.  :(
Assuming there was the equivalent of the Mendoza line in
regard to pitchers, where would Brubaker fall in that category/
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

1D23262E3D25252E0E2B3C2F784A0 wrote: Bucs end a slow, four day death at home to the Phils.  Let’s hope we get lots of good news tomorrow that we’ll be watching the final two months with a much younger roster.
IF Yoshi and VanMeter are still here after next week, it might do me in

If those two remain on the team after tomorrow, I may choose to discontinue following the team the rest of the way. This has gone on far too long.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

0C5A4C58574D5D565B4C7E59535F5752105D3E0 wrote: Bucs end a slow, four day death at home to the Phils.  Let’s hope we get lots of good news tomorrow that we’ll be watching the final two months with a much younger roster.

If those two remain on the team after tomorrow, I may choose to discontinue following the team the rest of the way.  This has gone on far too long.

In his tenure as GM, BC has taken a flyer on many players and quickly cut them loose when they failed to produce. Troy Stokes, Dustin Fowler, Todd Frazier, Jarrod Dyson, Jake Elmore, JB Shuck all come to mind. And there's nothing wrong with that. If they work out, fine. If they don't, move on. But the VanMeter thing is bewildering. BC took a flyer on a guy who was versatile but could never hit. VanMeter proved to be someone who absolutely cannot hit and is weak defensively, which negates his versatility. But for some unknown reason, BC has not wanted to move on from him. VanMeter has started 45 of 102 games. Nearly half (44%). He has the most starts at 2B on the team. His highwater mark for hitting this year was when he got to .231 on April 19th (his 5th game). It's been a steady decline ever since. He's 6th in the NL in errors at 2B even though he's only 17th in innings played there. This is a team trying to find playing time for prospects. Yet he continues to play and has inexplicably batted in key spots in the order including #1, 2, 4 and 5. He should have been gone months ago. It's difficult to believe he won't be DFA'd but that will raise the question, "What took so long?"
2drfischer@gmail.c

4A676A7B7C6D7A3A39080 wrote: Bucs end a slow, four day death at home to the Phils.  Let’s hope we get lots of good news tomorrow that we’ll be watching the final two months with a much younger roster.

If those two remain on the team after tomorrow, I may choose to discontinue following the team the rest of the way.  This has gone on far too long.

In his tenure as GM, BC has taken a flyer on many players and quickly cut them loose when they failed to produce. Troy Stokes, Dustin Fowler, Todd Frazier, Jarrod Dyson, Jake Elmore, JB Shuck all come to mind. And there's nothing wrong with that. If they work out, fine. If they don't, move on. But the VanMeter thing is bewildering. BC took a flyer on a guy who was versatile but could never hit. VanMeter proved to be someone who absolutely cannot hit and is weak defensively, which negates his versatility. But for some unknown reason, BC has not wanted to move on from him. VanMeter has started 45 of 102 games. Nearly half (44%). He has the most starts at 2B on the team. His highwater mark for hitting this year was when he got to .231 on April 19th (his 5th game). It's been a steady decline ever since. He's 6th in the NL in errors at 2B even though he's only 17th in innings played there. This is a team trying to find playing time for prospects. Yet he continues to play and has inexplicably batted in key spots in the order including #1, 2, 4 and 5. He should have been gone months ago. It's difficult to believe he won't be DFA'd but that will raise the question, "What took so long?"

"Bewildering" is an apt word choice. We can think of numerous reasons why VanMeter shouldn't have been here past mid-May, but not one that would've justified his remaining on the team after that. There are several young players who could've served in VanMeter's role this year, gaining valuable at bats and innings on defense, players who have a chance to be here when the team becomes competitive. The whole VanMeter situation has been a mystery.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

287E687C736979727F685A7D777B737634791A0 wrote: Bucs end a slow, four day death at home to the Phils.  Let’s hope we get lots of good news tomorrow that we’ll be watching the final two months with a much younger roster.

"Bewildering" is an apt word choice.  We can think of numerous reasons why VanMeter shouldn't have been here past mid-May, but not one that would've justified his remaining on the team after that.  There are several young players who could've served in VanMeter's role this year, gaining valuable at bats and innings on defense, players who have a chance to be here when the team becomes competitive.  The whole VanMeter situation has been a mystery.
Well the Pirates have hit rock bottom and are in last place.
I am sure your golfing buddy must be elated. That 3 game

sweep of the Dodgers seems like years ago.
2drfischer@gmail.c

102E2B23302828230326312275470 wrote: Bucs end a slow, four day death at home to the Phils.  Let’s hope we get lots of good news tomorrow that we’ll be watching the final two months with a much younger roster.

"Bewildering" is an apt word choice.  We can think of numerous reasons why VanMeter shouldn't have been here past mid-May, but not one that would've justified his remaining on the team after that.  There are several young players who could've served in VanMeter's role this year, gaining valuable at bats and innings on defense, players who have a chance to be here when the team becomes competitive.  The whole VanMeter situation has been a mystery.
Well the Pirates have hit rock bottom and are in last place.
I am sure your golfing buddy must be elated. [highlight]That 3 game

sweep of the Dodgers seems like years ago.[/highlight]

I'm beginning to think it was all a dream and never really happened.