7/20 Game Thread Locke versus Brewers...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

343F373B3E3F246167102931383F3F7E333F500 wrote: I liked the fact that Huntington said he made a mistake in the Walker trade.  I am surprised someone is against him admitting to that? I'm not against him admitting it at all. I loved him saying that. I just wish he would have realized it at the time he made the deal looking at Niese entire body of work that trading Walker for Niese was most likely going to end up bad for him at the end of the day.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Well like I said I wanted another 3 and him as a 4, though I'd add that the Giants' rotation currently features a rotation with only two pitchers below 4.00 ERA.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

The Pirates still need both Liriano and Cole to pick up both of their games and pitch a hell of a lot better. Liriano better damn well pitch a good game tonight as the Pirates really need to win this game against the Brewers and at the very least take 2 out of 3. Garza is pitching for the Brewers who is 0-3 with an ERA close to 9. So you gotta be able to score a bunch of runs off of him.

The Pirates blew a huge opportunity last night with 3 of the 4 teams they are chasing in the wildcard race losing. Things like this just cant happen moving forward here if the Pirates hope to jump these teams in the wildcard standings. You cant lose to teams at home like the Brewers when 3 of the 4 teams you are chasing lose on the same night.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Yeah we need Liriano to come back to where he was or IMO I would not bother trading any assets to try to improve this years' team, there isn't a point.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

7E4C40405466454C41444B4C2D0 wrote: Yeah we need Liriano to come back to where he was or IMO I would not bother trading any assets to try to improve this years' team, there isn't a point. The best trades they can make is letting the young guys like Taillon,Glasnow,and Kuhl pitch in favor of guys like Locke and Niese, and call Bell back up who you know can help the offense out in a big way. If they do all of this I will have no problem with them not making any moves at the deadline.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

64435256534E71455253534E370 wrote: Yeah we need Liriano to come back to where he was or IMO I would not bother trading any assets to try to improve this years' team, there isn't a point. The best trades they can make is letting the young guys like Taillon,Glasnow,and Kuhl pitch in favor of guys like Locke and Niese, and call Bell back up who you know can help the offense out in a big way. If they do all of this I will have no problem with them not making any moves at the deadline.

You have to clear space to bring those guys up. Bell comes up, who goes down? To give the young players a place, someone has got to go, either traded or DFA'd. Frazier is the only one on the 25-man roster that can be sent down for Bell without having to do something major.

It's not as easy as just bringing a guy up right now. Trades or major decisions have to clear the way.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

7C5D484179405B485D4C290 wrote: Yeah we need Liriano to come back to where he was or IMO I would not bother trading any assets to try to improve this years' team, there isn't a point. The best trades they can make is letting the young guys like Taillon,Glasnow,and Kuhl pitch in favor of guys like Locke and Niese, and call Bell back up who you know can help the offense out in a big way. If they do all of this I will have no problem with them not making any moves at the deadline.

You have to clear space to bring those guys up. Bell comes up, who goes down? To give the young players a place, someone has got to go, either traded or DFA'd. Frazier is the only one on the 25-man roster that can be sent down for Bell without having to do something major.

It's not as easy as just bringing a guy up right now. Trades or major decisions have to clear the way. Exactly which is why I am trying to trade both Locke and or Niese and Jaso as I have been talking about before as soon as possible to clear the way for both Glasnow and Bell. If you want to give yourself the best possible chance to win a wildcard spot then these moves need to made sooner rather then later.

The Pirates have had time to take a hard look at all of this stuff both before and during the All Star Break. You can't sit around and twiddle your thumbs forever like the Pirates continually do when it comes to making these roster decisions. Moves have to be made to get these guys up here and they have to be made within the next 10 days or so in my opinion before you enter August.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

67405155504D72465150504D340 wrote: Yeah we need Liriano to come back to where he was or IMO I would not bother trading any assets to try to improve this years' team, there isn't a point. The best trades they can make is letting the young guys like Taillon,Glasnow,and Kuhl pitch in favor of guys like Locke and Niese, and call Bell back up who you know can help the offense out in a big way. If they do all of this I will have no problem with them not making any moves at the deadline.

It's not as easy as just bringing a guy up right now. Trades or major decisions have to clear the way. Exactly which is why I am trying to trade both Locke and or Niese and Jaso as I have been talking about before as soon as possible to clear the way for both Glasnow and Bell. If you want to give yourself the best possible chance to win a wildcard spot then these moves need to made sooner rather then later.

The Pirates have had time to take a hard look at all of this stuff both before and during the All Star Break. You can't sit around and twiddle your thumbs forever like the Pirates continually do when it comes to making these roster decisions. Moves have to be made to get these guys up here and they have to be made within the next 10 days or so in my opinion before you enter August.

You don't know that they are not trying to trade those three. And those are three very questionable assets at this point in time. Do you give them away for near nothing, or will you end up DFAing Locke or Niese if there is not enough value to be gained? Are other teams waiting us out because they'd take those guys if we end up DFAing them, but won't give up an asset for them? The Pedro situation was really similar. We wanted trade to get something for him, but no one was interested. We couldn't make a value match.

We want things to happen fast, and they just don't. It's not just the Pirates, it's the nature of the baseball beast. Things are quiet and then suddenly dominoes start falling. Having a deadline of August 1 helps. But that is still a week and a half away.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

54756069516873607564010 wrote: Yeah we need Liriano to come back to where he was or IMO I would not bother trading any assets to try to improve this years' team, there isn't a point. The best trades they can make is letting the young guys like Taillon,Glasnow,and Kuhl pitch in favor of guys like Locke and Niese, and call Bell back up who you know can help the offense out in a big way. If they do all of this I will have no problem with them not making any moves at the deadline.

You don't know that they are not trying to trade those three. And those are three very questionable assets at this point in time. Do you give them away for near nothing, or will you end up DFAing Locke or Niese if there is not enough value to be gained? Are other teams waiting us out because they'd take those guys if we end up DFAing them, but won't give up an asset for them? The Pedro situation was really similar. We wanted trade to get something for him, but no one was interested. We couldn't make a value match.

We want things to happen fast, and they just don't. It's not just the Pirates, it's the nature of the baseball beast. Things are quiet and then suddenly dominoes start falling. Having a deadline of August 1 helps. But that is still a week and a half away. At this point if I cant trade Jeff Locke immediately I either DFA him or give him a fake disabled list stint for the next few weeks like they did with Taillon for different reasons in order to clear a roster spot for Glasnow.

I don't know if Locke has any Minor League options left at this point but he would be the one to go for me in favor of Glasnow on Saturday when they call him up. I'm not sending a guy like Frazier down who has earned the right to stay up here and can add versatility to your bench.

You have enough young arms in the Minors as I keep stating in Glasnow, Kuhl, Brault, and even a guy like Trevor Williams that you can afford to DFA a guy like Locke now if you absolutely cannot trade him. DFA'ing Jeff Locke if the Pirates absolutely have too wont be the end of the Pirates franchise or the end of the world. Life will go on and so will the Pirates franchise.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6647525B635A41524756330 wrote:

You don't know that they are not trying to trade those three. And those are three very questionable assets at this point in time. Do you give them away for near nothing, or will you end up DFAing Locke or Niese if there is not enough value to be gained?
Their trade value is very limited. So, yes, I would give them away for near nothing since that is all they are worth. If the Pirates are holding out for a significant return, no deal will ever be made for these guys. But there's always a market for a LH starter. I would take just about any A or AA player that was offered. The Bucs aren't shopping for replacements for them. They just need to get rid of them.