Starting Pitching Depth

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Starting Pitching Depth

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

55544F5E48080F3B0 wrote: The other pitchers weren't 6'8" and 22 years old.

People are expecting too much in my opinion. He just isn't as polished as Taillon or Cole. Glasnow is still very young. He has time.
Exactly. That is why there should've been another pitcher signed!

People are expecting too much from Glasnow. Unless he has a really super and dominant spring, I don't see him starting in the rotation. The Pirates have other guys that can fill in whom I listed.

The rotation is better than last year as four players were replaced. Only Cole started the season in the rotation last year. That's a huge and much needed overhaul.
dmetz

Starting Pitching Depth

Post by dmetz »

Yeah, well you're expecting too much from 4 guys who might make it in the back of the rotation.  Why not pencil Glasgow in while you're at it?

Everybody knows Glasnow could strike out every batter he faced and would still not start the season because of super two.   What are you even talking about, you don't think he will make it? There's absolutely no chance
dmetz

Starting Pitching Depth

Post by dmetz »

79727A767372692C2A5D647C757272337E721D0 wrote: The other pitchers weren't 6'8" and 22 years old.

People are expecting too much in my opinion. He just isn't as polished as Taillon or Cole. Glasnow is still very young. He has time.

People are expecting too much from Glasnow. Unless he has a really super and dominant spring, I don't see him starting in the rotation. The Pirates have other guys that can fill in whom I listed.

The rotation is better than last year as four players were replaced. Only Cole started the season in the rotation last year. That's a huge and much needed overhaul. 

Your next objective is to post something that you DONT like about this team. Try us. See what you can come up with
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Starting Pitching Depth

767F776668120 wrote: The other pitchers weren't 6'8" and 22 years old.

Your next objective is to post something that you DONT like about this team.   Try us.  See what you can come up with

Josh Harrison.

Sorry, I am not expecting Glasnow to be a difference maker for the Pirates in 2017. I said that last year when people wanted to call him up or projected him over Taillon too. Was I wrong?
dmetz

Starting Pitching Depth

Post by dmetz »

212A222E2B2A317472053C242D2A2A6B262A450 wrote: The other pitchers weren't 6'8" and 22 years old.

Your next objective is to post something that you DONT like about this team.   Try us.  See what you can come up with

Josh Harrison.

Sorry, I am not expecting Glasnow to be a difference maker for the Pirates in 2017. I said that last year when people wanted to call him up or projected him over Taillon too. Was I wrong?

Yes, you were wrong.  You said last year that the offseason moves were fine and that we just needed to bridge the gap to call-ups. 

Now this year, the offseason moves are fine too and we're cool with a bunch of lukewarm prospects and or reclamation projects filling in 20% of the rotation, while we pray 1-3 perform well and don't miss any significant time.

Throw a bunch of guys off the wall strategy.  Or lack of strategy.  Because if you don't believe Glasnow will make an impact in 2017, then one of the most talented pitchers in your assembly of misfits is not going to be filling 4 or 5.   

So yeah.  Youre going to rely on kingham after an arm surgery, or brault who lost his control last year or Hutchison who has had no success  and kuhl who actually may not be a bad option for #5.

You're one injury away from having 3/5ths of a rotation filled with proverbial nobodys. 

All is well. Playoffs here we come
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Starting Pitching Depth

Oh, you are using everything I said going into last year? I thought we were staying on the Glasnow topic.

I never said I liked the moves last off season, I understood them. The problem wasn't Vogelsong. The problem was Cole and Liriano. The Niese trade was bad too. I never liked trading Walker for him. I guess we all saw McCutchen and Cervelli to have a down year too? Harrison and Jaso too? No wait, I was right about them.

Your 86 win prediction was wrong too. You must have thought they were a playoff team too to predict that many wins. The Wild Card teams won 87 games.

Trying to prove me wrong all the time might ruin your fun and have you rooting against the Pirates. Don't do that to yourself. Be stress free.

UtahPirate

Starting Pitching Depth

Post by UtahPirate »

I know the conversation has switched to Glasnow, but to take it back to it's origins ... we really need a lefty as a SP and I don't think Quintana is headed here any time soon.

Jorge De La Rossa is still out there in the FA market. Would he benefit from pitching at PNC? He's spent his whole career in Colorado which makes it hard to get a grip on him. He was pretty good several years ago -- but at 35 it seems his best years have passed. Is he a good reclamation candidate? I hate to start the season by running 5 RHPs out there. Who is left?
IABucFan

Starting Pitching Depth

Post by IABucFan »

6041545D655C47544150350 wrote: I know the conversation has switched to Glasnow, but to take it back to it's origins ... we really need a lefty as a SP and I don't think Quintana is headed here any time soon.

Jorge De La Rossa is still out there in the FA market. Would he benefit from pitching at PNC? He's spent his whole career in Colorado which makes it hard to get a grip on him. He was pretty good several years ago -- but at 35 it seems his best years have passed. Is he a good reclamation candidate? I hate to start the season by running 5 RHPs out there. Who is left?

Jeff Locke?

Seriously, I do agree that we need a lefty in the rotation. We have a plethora of them in the pen, but we need one taking the ball every fifth day. Now, I'm not an advocate of having a lefty just for the sake of having a lefty. If we had five studs who all threw with their right hand, great. But, we don't. We've got two, a third who should be pretty decent, and a bunch of question marks.

I have no idea who they could acquire at this stage of the game. Personally, I'm glad we've seemingly passed on Quintana. Obviously, none of us know for sure, but it sure sounds to me like the Sox wanted too much for him. But, there are others out there.

Here are four names (in order of likelihood) that I think NH should at least kick the tires on:

1. Garrett Richards--coming off an injury and I think is a pending free agent. I think he could be a great bounce back candidate. The Angels have a tough road in front of them. They have a ton of money tied up in an aging Albert Pujols and Mike Trout. But even with the best player on the planet, they have a ton of holes and the consensus worst farm system in MLB. They might entertain offers to restock their farm, and given that Richards is a pending FA coming off an injury, it might not take much.

2. Jake Odorizzi--is an Arb. 1 player. Now that they've acquired DeLeon and are in the tough AL East, the Rays might also be looking to the future. I'd think they'd entertain offers on Odorizzi.

3. Sonny Gray--probably seen as untouchable from Oakland's standpoint. But, he's coming off a down year, is first year arbitration eligible (I think) and Oakland doesn't look to be competitive any time soon. Perhaps they would entertain offers for him?

4. Chris Archer--see Odorizzi above, but signed to a longer deal. He has five years left on his contract. Plus, he's a better pitcher. So, what would have to go back to Tampa would be more than for JO. But, again, I could see the Rays listening to offers.

All of these guys are right handed. Frankly, I don't see a deal being made for any of them. It's just not the Pirates MO. I think we roll with a rotation of Cole-Taillon-Nova-Kuhl-??? and see what happens. We're really missing a #4 starter. Kuhl is fine as a #5 guy. Everyone else, assuming they play up to ability is fine 1-3. It's that #4 guy that is lacking.
dmetz

Starting Pitching Depth

Post by dmetz »

040F070B0E0F145157201901080F0F4E030F600 wrote: Oh, you are using everything I said going into last year?  I thought we were staying on the Glasnow topic.

I never said I liked the moves last off season, I understood them.  The problem wasn't Vogelsong.  The problem was Cole and Liriano.  The Niese trade was bad too.  I never liked trading Walker for him.  I guess we all saw McCutchen and Cervelli to have a down year too?  Harrison and Jaso too?  No wait, I was right about them. 

Your 86 win prediction was wrong too. You must have thought they were a playoff team too to predict that many wins.  The Wild Card teams won 87 games.

Trying to prove me wrong all the time might ruin your fun and have you rooting against the Pirates.  Don't do that to yourself.  Be stress free. 

Everything isn't about you.   In fact, nothing is about you, it's about this baseball team and what they plan to do to compete with the cubs and Cards.   

This is 2015 strategy all over again.  We're weak with starting pitching.    Cole had arm fatigue last year and I'm telling you right now, isn't getting through the season unscathed to plan on it is stupidity.   Taillon is in sophomore year and was in danger zone with his innings count last year.   Nova was a bad pitcher throughout his career except for his not even half a season here.     This is the guaranteed 1-3 you're counting on for sure???  All 3 of them to perform well and miss injury??   NO!   Contingency plans are needed.   

We better plan accordingly and a team looking for a championship SHOULD be acquiring another starting pitcher of established ML value as a fallback plan, not relying on a bunch of very modest prospects to fill #4 and #5 of the rotation and praying for perpetual health of 1-3.

If the goal is to have NL average at best numbers from the starting rotation, we're right on track.
SammyKhalifa

Starting Pitching Depth

Post by SammyKhalifa »

78717968661C0 wrote: Oh, you are using everything I said going into last year?  I thought we were staying on the Glasnow topic.

I never said I liked the moves last off season, I understood them.  The problem wasn't Vogelsong.  The problem was Cole and Liriano.  The Niese trade was bad too.  I never liked trading Walker for him.  I guess we all saw McCutchen and Cervelli to have a down year too?  Harrison and Jaso too?  No wait, I was right about them. 

Your 86 win prediction was wrong too. You must have thought they were a playoff team too to predict that many wins.  The Wild Card teams won 87 games.

Trying to prove me wrong all the time might ruin your fun and have you rooting against the Pirates.  Don't do that to yourself.  Be stress free. 

Everything isn't about you.   In fact, nothing is about you, it's about this baseball team and what they plan to do to compete with the cubs and Cards.   

This is 2015 strategy all over again.  We're weak with starting pitching.    Cole had arm fatigue last year and I'm telling you right now, isn't getting through the season unscathed to plan on it is stupidity.   Taillon is in sophomore year and was in danger zone with his innings count last year.   Nova was a bad pitcher throughout his career except for his not even half a season here.     This is the guaranteed 1-3 you're counting on for sure???  All 3 of them to perform well and miss injury??   NO!   Contingency plans are needed.   

We better plan accordingly and a team looking for a championship SHOULD be acquiring another starting pitcher of established ML value as a fallback plan, not relying on a bunch of very modest prospects to fill #4 and #5 of the rotation and praying for perpetual health of 1-3.

If the goal is to have NL average at best numbers from the starting rotation, we're right on track.

I agree with your general feeling (we need another pitcher) but to be absolutely fair, Nova was a more-or-less average pitcher before coming here, not terrible really.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... iv01.shtml

But yeah, counting on everything to go right is no way to go.