Spring Training Baseball

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

Spring Training Baseball

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Chad Kuhl only gave up one hit in three innings!

(and three runs on two walks, an error, wild pitch and HBP)
OrlandoMerced

Spring Training Baseball

Post by OrlandoMerced »

Osuna is raking again today. I think he makes the team out of ST. With Kang in limbo and Freese put into an everyday role, that opens up a bench spot.

Stewart, Frazier, Jaso, Gosselin/Hanson & Osuna.

I like Osuna as guy that could spell either Bell or Polanco when they face a LH pitcher.
SammyKhalifa

Spring Training Baseball

Post by SammyKhalifa »

or is he Mark Merchant?
Bobster21

Spring Training Baseball

Post by Bobster21 »

013C222F202A21032B3C2D2B2A4E0 wrote: Osuna is raking again today. I think he makes the team out of ST.  With Kang in limbo and Freese put into an everyday role, that opens up a bench spot.

I like Osuna as guy that could spell either Bell or Polanco when they face a LH pitcher.
If Freese starts at 3B, Jaso is the backup at 1B. Wouldn't be anything for Osuna to do but sit and PH. He'd be better off playing at Indy and the extra bench spot more likely makes room for both Gosselin and Hanson who are versatile.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Spring Training Baseball

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

5D607E737C767D5F7760717776120 wrote: Osuna is raking again today. I think he makes the team out of ST.  With Kang in limbo and Freese put into an everyday role, that opens up a bench spot.

Still too many players if you want a five man bench.

Where is Freese playing? If he plays third, then Kang is on the bench. If he plays 1B, then Bell is on the bench. (Kang has plenty of time to get to the states)

I am not sure if they DFA Hanson when Osuna has options. I think Osuna should go play the outfield in Triple A. He can be the first outfielder called up if needed.
Jerseykc

Spring Training Baseball

Post by Jerseykc »

5C717C6D6A7B6C2C2F1E0 wrote: Osuna is raking again today. I think he makes the team out of ST.  With Kang in limbo and Freese put into an everyday role, that opens up a bench spot.

If Freese starts at 3B, Jaso is the backup at 1B. Wouldn't be anything for Osuna to do but sit and PH. He'd be better off playing at Indy and the extra bench spot more likely makes room for both Gosselin and Hanson who are versatile.

Neither Gosselin or Hanson are going to make any Allegheny River splashes - maybe Osuna would :)
Bobster21

Spring Training Baseball

Post by Bobster21 »

6E415657415D4F47240 wrote: Osuna is raking again today. I think he makes the team out of ST.  With Kang in limbo and Freese put into an everyday role, that opens up a bench spot.

Neither Gosselin or Hanson are going to make any Allegheny River splashes - maybe Osuna would  :)

Sure. But I doubt they keep him if he doesn't play. Versatility on the bench is important and Jaso has none. They won't add yet another player who only plays Bell's position. And they know Osuna will become a better player playing regularly at Indy (where he's played only 63 games) than he will sitting on the Pirates' bench in hopes he hits an occasional PH HR. If Kang is delayed and Freese starts, it gives both Gosselin and Hanson a chance to stick and see which is more valuable to keep when Kang returns. I don't think it's realistic to expect that spot to go to Osuna.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Spring Training Baseball

I doubt they will risk losing Hanson to make room for Osuna. Osuna needs to play the outfield in Indy in my opinion.
fjk090852-7

Spring Training Baseball

Post by fjk090852-7 »

With just over 3 weeks until opening day I doubt Kang will be on the roster and who knows he may still not be back in the states by then. I think by Kang not being on the roster gives Hanson some additional time to show the Bucs he can provide help off the bench.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Spring Training Baseball

5C50510A030A020F08170D3A0 wrote: With just over 3 weeks until opening day I doubt Kang will be on the roster and who knows he may still not be back in the states by then. I think  by Kang  not being on the roster gives Hanson some additional time to show the Bucs he can provide help off the bench.

Huntington said they are waiting for the US Government to file his work visa. It is no longer in the Korean courts.

Huntington said it could be asking a lot of Freese at his age to play every day for two months. And why Harrison, Frazier, Hanson and Gosselin can be moved around. Huntington also said Kang was going to play some SS to giver Mercer a break.

This was all form his interview on The Fan 93.7.

I sure hope Kang isn't out for two months. That would be a huge blow. How much time do other guys take to get back into the country? Every year, you hear about issues with visas. Yes, I know this is a different case with Kang.