4/15 game: Glasnow vs Arrieta

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

2921223523232F400 wrote: Watson struggled again, but SO of Russell and the Buccos WIN

What a great win!!

Watson gave up two weak grounders and a hr that was on the end of the bat that wouldn't have gone to the warning track on a normal day.  I am growing tired of him walking someone every inning, though.

I agree. I thought Marte was going to catch that HR. the wind was nasty today and helped the long balls. Watson really got Schwerber and Rizzo out. Both lefty too.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

I'm late to the party, but a few thoughts ...

* I apologize to the Pirates for giving them ZERO chance to win a game in this series. But I have to say I was pretty certain about that prediction and I was VERY wrong.

* I'm still in a minor state of shock, coming from 4 runs down in the 6th inning with Arrieta on the mound. I would have never believed it.

* Enormous win for the team psychologically. Has to be a HUGE boost for the team moral, team chemistry, confidence, etc...

* Single biggest development was Glasnow showing some legit stuff. He wasn't great. But he showed that maybe he can be.

* 2nd biggest development was Cutch having what may have been his first really clutch, late, game-changing home run (or any kind of hit) in what seems like a long, long time. What a great moment that was.

* I really like Adam Frazier offensively.

* I do not like our defense.

* I don't think our bullpen is as good as everyone thought it would be at the start of the season. It's good. It's not great.

* If Mercer goes down for an extended period of time, we have no one on the roster to play SS. What would happen? Call up Gift?

* Man I would love to finish off the sweep tomorrow. No team I hate more than the Cubs and it's not even close. But even if we lose this has been a good, successful weekend in Wrigley. Hope Taillon is dealing tomorrow to give us the shot at the sweep.

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Frazier has the arm for SS. He might not get to many balls, but I think he can fill in. The Pirates' shifts helped him a lot today.

I'm glad you realized the game is played on the field and not on paper. The Pirates came through with key hits all afternoon. It is something they can do often considering they had three bench players in the line up today too.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I think confidence is important to a young pitcher and Glasnow didn't previously seem to have any. He had a couple bad innings out of 5 today. And giving up 6 runs isn't usually a confidence booster. But he saw he could pitch well enough to give his team a chance to beat Arrieta at Wrigley. It'll be interesting to see if he makes further progress next time out.