The Milwaukee Series ... THIS. IS. IT.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

3D363E3237362D686E192038313636773A36590 wrote:

I think Hurdle should have left Kuhl in to finish the 6th.

Crazy that Hudson comes in and gives up a potential go ahead single to the only batter he faced and he gets the win.

Kuhl hasn't got out of the sixth numerous times this year.  He threw 8 strikes and 7 balls that inning.  He walked two batters.  The last batter had a 3-0 count.  I think he was done.

If there was confidence in the bullpen, this was a no brainer.  The bullpen is scary.  Polanco saved the game at that point with a strong throw.

(Great tweets by Hudson) 

Polanco made a very good throw. But Cervelli saved the game with an incredible tag. It was a very good slide and there looked to be no chance for a tag. Cerville showed amazing speed and athletic ability. One of the best plays by a catcher I've seen.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Not to knock Cervelli, but I don't understand why players reach for the tag. Just go to the plate (or the bag). They have to touch that to score and be safe. Cervelli dove way past the plate to make that tag.

All players do this for some reason. Mercer missed a tag not so long ago reaching for a guy as they did a swim move on him. Harrison has been safe a few times this year on a swim move.

They are just making the play harder for themselves. Cervelli made a great play, but it could have been a lot easier than throwing his body a foot or two past home plate to make the tag. I was glad Cervelli caught it on the fly instead of letting the ball bounce.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

3D363E3237362D686E192038313636773A36590 wrote: Funny how Wehner pointed out that Shaw almost made an error. I didn't know Shaw has a chance to break his record.

I am also shocked the Pirates haven't made more errors than the first place Brewers.
Wehner shares the record with Jeff Cirillo for most games at 3B without an error. Big difference though: Cirillo was a starter and Wehner was a reserve and late inning defense replacement. Wehner didn't play a lot of innings.

Do you know how many innings each played?  I think it is closer than we might think.  Wehner played more 3B in his career than any other position.  I wonder how many chances each had too. 

I remember when Cirillo was chasing Wehner, being a Wehner fan.  I know there were games where Cirillo had only one or two plays thinking that wasn't fair (ha ha, I was young). 
I don't know about the inning strictly during their streaks. But career wise, Cirillo played 11,255 innings with 3,607 chances at 3B and Wehner played 854 innings with 306 chances at 3B.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Well, it was only 99 games. If Cirillo played every game for nine innings that comes to 891 innings. I am sure that didn't happen. With my quick estimate, Wehner was around 590 innings during the streak. I just don't know when the error occurred by each to be exact.

I found it funny last night when Wehner pointed it out as I forgot about the record he shares. Just wondering if anyone remembers the actual numbers. Still impressive by both players. Cirillo had the pressure every day and Wehner played all over the field as a bench player.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6E656D6164657E3B3D4A736B6265652469650A0 wrote: Well, it was only 99 games.  If Cirillo played every game for nine innings that comes to 891 innings.  I am sure that didn't happen.  With my quick estimate, Wehner was around 590 innings during the streak.  I just don't know when the error occurred by each to be exact. 

I found it funny last night when Wehner pointed it out as I forgot about the record he shares.  Just wondering if anyone remembers the actual numbers.  Still impressive by both players.  Cirillo had the pressure every day and Wehner played all over the field as a bench player.
Ok, I went thru their game by game defense stats. A little closer than I thought but still a lot more for Cirillo. He was a starter and his streak was less than a calendar year: 6/20/01-4/19/02. Wehner was a reserve but chipped away over and 8 year span: 8//2/92-9/29/00.

Cirillo: 840 innings, 255 chances.

Wehner: 506 innings, 171 chances.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

1F323F2E29382F6F6C5D0 wrote: Well, it was only 99 games.  If Cirillo played every game for nine innings that comes to 891 innings.  I am sure that didn't happen.  With my quick estimate, Wehner was around 590 innings during the streak.  I just don't know when the error occurred by each to be exact. 

I found it funny last night when Wehner pointed it out as I forgot about the record he shares.  Just wondering if anyone remembers the actual numbers.  Still impressive by both players.  Cirillo had the pressure every day and Wehner played all over the field as a bench player.
Ok, I went thru their game by game defense stats. A little closer than I thought but still a lot more for Cirillo. He was a starter and his streak was less than a calendar year: 6/20/01-4/19/02. Wehner was a reserve but chipped away over an 8 year span: 8/2/92-9/29/00.

Cirillo: 840 innings, 255 chances.

Wehner: 506 innings, 171 chances.

Wow, good job.  Can you put this on Google in case this comes up again?

I do think Wehner's was still impressive as he would get inserted into third base at any time. 
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

Lineup posted for Game 2. Not sure if ya'all want to to keep this the game thread, or not, but figured I'd put this here.

1. Marte-LF

2. Harrison-2B

3. McCutchen-CF

4. Bell-1B

5. Freese-3B

6. Polanco-RF

7. Cervelli-C

8. Mercer-SS

9. Nova-P
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Gosselin was optioned to make room for Marte.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

Not a fan of that lineup. If I were Hurdle, it would be:

Frazier

Harrison

McCutchen

Bell

Marte

Polanco

Cervelli

Mercer

I think Freese would benefit the most from some rest and is a better bat off of the bench. This would be my baseline lineup, and I would then sub Freese in for Harrison or Frazier (great example of why position flexibility is valuable).
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Going with defense. Freese and Harrison are better fielders. Freese, Harrison and Frazier all have been slumping.

I thought Marte would bat second with the others falling in place: Harrison, Marte, McCutchen, Bell, Freese, Polanco, Cervelli, Mercer.