Re-thinking Polanco

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

Re-thinking Polanco

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I think the constant "Apologist" thing is what I miss least about the PMB and why I quit along with so many others.  I'd have hoped it would have died along with the board. 
mouse

Re-thinking Polanco

Post by mouse »

On Polanco, it could be management is convinced the NL will have the DH next year and figures if no one picks up Polanco, he might have some value there.
SammyKhalifa

Re-thinking Polanco

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Seems a bit pointless if this is the plan, but we'll see I guess.
Ecbucs

Re-thinking Polanco

Post by Ecbucs »

so did the Pirates want everyone to know that Polanco was on waivers? It only makes sense to me if they know he is gone.

CarolinaBucco

Re-thinking Polanco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Polanco starting in RF tonight.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Re-thinking Polanco

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

273C313039353A540 wrote: Now that Frazier is gone and all but $3 million of Polanco is gone, the Apologists can immediately leap on Colon Moran.  He is the next highest paid Pirate.  After all, [highlight]he is injury prone and he doesn't hit enough HR's for a 1B and he is not part of the "future"[/highlight] when we are good, blah, blah, blah.  We must continue to pre-aplologize for making BOB richer and richer.  Even though the team salary keeps going down and down, these are not salary dumps (at least until Cherington is fired), then it will be OK to criticize him.

Um, wouldn’t those be good reasons to find a better 1Bman?
johnfluharty

Re-thinking Polanco

Post by johnfluharty »

3C6A7C68677D6D666B7C4E69636F6762206D0E0 wrote: Now that Frazier is gone and all but $3 million of Polanco is gone, the Apologists can immediately leap on Colon Moran.  He is the next highest paid Pirate.  After all, [highlight]he is injury prone and he doesn't hit enough HR's for a 1B and he is not part of the "future"[/highlight] when we are good, blah, blah, blah.  We must continue to pre-aplologize for making BOB richer and richer.  Even though the team salary keeps going down and down, these are not salary dumps (at least until Cherington is fired), then it will be OK to criticize him.

Um, wouldn’t those be good reasons to find a better 1Bman?

As long as he's making more than the minimum it's always a salary dump - even if he's 0 for 500.
fjk090852-7

Re-thinking Polanco

Post by fjk090852-7 »

As we knew ,Polanco cleared waivers this afternoon, and he is still on the roster. It doesn’t appear they are going to release him during this season, but I wonder if he will come up with some minor injury in September, so his roster spot could be taken by one of the prospects. The September roster is only 28 players again this season, so the Bucs may need Polanco’s spot to add one of the minor league players.
Bobster21

Re-thinking Polanco

Post by Bobster21 »

4A46471C151C14191E011B2C0 wrote: As we knew ,Polanco cleared waivers this afternoon, and he is still on the roster. It doesn’t appear they are going to release him during this season, but I wonder if he will come up with some minor injury in September, so his roster spot could be taken by one of the prospects. The September roster is only 28 players again this season, so the Bucs may need Polanco’s  spot to add one of the minor league players.
I think the limit to 28 in September is a bad idea and an overreaction to the old rule of as many as 14 (with 26 of the 40 on the active roster already). The expanded roster was also a chance to bring back players from the IL without having to send someone out. So it wasn't only about bringing up minor leaguers. Also, teams always used to bring up a 3rd catcher just for emergencies. But only 2 extras isn't enough if you want an extra catcher, have 1 or 2 injured and due back soon and have 1 or 2 prospects to give some MLB expedience. I would like to see the September rosters expanded by as many as 5. But since that's not the rule, Polanco should be released if they can't fake an injury.
Ecbucs

Re-thinking Polanco

Post by Ecbucs »

725F52434455420201300 wrote: As we knew ,Polanco cleared waivers this afternoon, and he is still on the roster. It doesn’t appear they are going to release him during this season, but I wonder if he will come up with some minor injury in September, so his roster spot could be taken by one of the prospects. The September roster is only 28 players again this season, so the Bucs may need Polanco’s  spot to add one of the minor league players.
I think the limit to 28 in September is a bad idea and an overreaction to the old rule of as many as 14 (with 26 of the 40 on the active roster already). The expanded roster was also a chance to bring back players from the IL without having to send someone out. So it wasn't only about bringing up minor leaguers. Also, teams always used to bring up a 3rd catcher just for emergencies. But only 2 extras isn't enough if you want an extra catcher, have 1 or 2 injured and due back soon and have 1 or 2 prospects to give some MLB expedience. I would like to see the September rosters expanded by as many as 5. But since that's not the rule, Polanco should be released if they can't fake an injury.

yes, I don't see the point in limiting it to 28 either. I don't think any team ever used all 40 spots at the mlb level, probably adding 6 or 7 was common. I always considered it a nice perk for minor league players to get the call in September.