Game Thread - July 31 - Bucs vs Phillies

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Yoshi sneaks one through the left side, again the slap, benefits from shift, and it's 8-2.

Once again, the Pirates are ruining a blow out fan celebration for Phillies faithful.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

1D4B5D49465C4C474A5D6F48424E4643014C2F0 wrote: Good job, Yoshi.  He’ll leave on a high note.
Let's hope that's our final memory of the guy
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Heineman showing frustration. We lead the league in K's, fewest runs scored, and frustration demonstrations
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Nice play by Gregorious to end it with a DP

Sure would have been nice if a couple other Bucs other than Newman and Mitchell showed up.

18-9 Pirates outhit.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

Bucs end a slow, four day death at home to the Phils. Let’s hope we get lots of good news tomorrow that we’ll be watching the final two months with a much younger roster.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

Another pathetic performance. Both pitching and batting leave
much to be desired. The Pirates did however make quite a few
people happy.
All those phillies fans who made the trip to Pittsburgh and were
treated to a 4 game sweep
Bob Nutting who is the beneficiary of those Philly fans filling the seats
Nick Castellanos who has incurred the wrath of the Philly fans for a lousy offensive prior to this series, had 4 hits today and an all around good series
JT Realmuto- another Philly who had a very good series and 3 hits
today
The pitcher who picked off Cruz in last nights game. I think it was
Corey Knebel.

As for me I am heading to Altoona tomorrow to take in a few games. I will report on the trip when I get back. Maybe I will get to leave Altoona happy :D ;D
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

267066727D67777C7166547379757D783A77140 wrote: Bucs end a slow, four day death at home to the Phils.  Let’s hope we get lots of good news tomorrow that we’ll be watching the final two months with a much younger roster.
IF Yoshi and VanMeter are still here after next week, it might do me in
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

4D6B6C79707C6B7D751E0 wrote: I'm really having a tough time listening to Brown and Walk today. They must be going for Joe Block's record of words per broadcast. The entire game has been their cutesy, cutesy banter. I finally switched to the Phillies radio broadcast and muted the TV. 
In all fairness to all of the announcers, they don't have much to get excited about on a day by day basis. Telling us the same old things over and over (too many strikeouts, mistakes on the field, poor situational hitting) is just as boring.

Those catch phrases and such are a lot cuter when the team is winning. Zip zap kazoo Bucs turn two could end up being tomorrows "Bug on a rug".

"Clear the deck, cannonball coming" is the best catch phrase ever IMHO. Too bad for the most part, it's pretty much superfluous over most of Brown's time using it. "We had them all the way" meant a whole lot more because we usually did have them, meaning victories. Lanny's "and there was noooooooo doubt about it" is right up there, but just like the cannonball call, it just rang kind of hollow for the most part.

So I give them a pass. Brown has passion for the team, pretty hard given what he's had to work with over the years.

I agree with everything you say Surgnbuc about the announcers.
Not everyone (in fact no one can compare to Vin Scully)
Bob Prince was even worse than Brown as far as catch phrases ( bug on a rug, can a corn, we had em all the way) stunts like the Green Weenie, Bubushkas. If you want to switch to Hockey then we have heard ( smiling like a butcher’s dog, put the biscuit in the basket, scratch my back with a hacksaw) and of course in foolball the endless yoi and double yoi.
Although I agree that the zip zap kazoo is childish, the “Clear the deck cannonball coming” is one of the best catch phrases in sports.
Greg Brown has been a true professional and continues to provide enthusiasm to a product that continues to be at the bottom dredges of the baseball standings. I give him kudos for keeping his composure in all these years of team ineptitude.

BTW isn’t there a separate topic created for announcer gripes so we don’t have to read the same bitching on new posts??????
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

321413060F0314020A610 wrote: I'm really having a tough time listening to Brown and Walk today. They must be going for Joe Block's record of words per broadcast. The entire game has been their cutesy, cutesy banter. I finally switched to the Phillies radio broadcast and muted the TV. 
In all fairness to all of the announcers, they don't have much to get excited about on a day by day basis. Telling us the same old things over and over (too many strikeouts, mistakes on the field, poor situational hitting) is just as boring.

Those catch phrases and such are a lot cuter when the team is winning. Zip zap kazoo Bucs turn two could end up being tomorrows "Bug on a rug".

"Clear the deck, cannonball coming" is the best catch phrase ever IMHO. Too bad for the most part, it's pretty much superfluous over most of Brown's time using it. "We had them all the way" meant a whole lot more because we usually did have them, meaning victories. Lanny's "and there was noooooooo doubt about it" is right up there, but just like the cannonball call, it just rang kind of hollow for the most part.

So I give them a pass. Brown has passion for the team, pretty hard given what he's had to work with over the years.
IMHO, they are trying so hard to entertain us in the booth that they don't realize we are tuning in for the game and not for them. When I watch other games, they talk about the players and they talk about the plays. There is even some silence between pitches. There is very little personal stuff related to the announcers. With good teams they don't have to be cheerleaders and with bad teams they don't have to focus on themselves rather than the game.

With the influx of new, young players on the Pirates there is so much to talk about! Fans want to know about these guys. But any pairing of Pirate announcers results in a 3 hour gabfest as they chat about each other, their friends, their favorite foods, the uniform numbers of former Phillies (gosh, that was thrilling today), puns, the experiences of the analyst, nicknames and catch phrases. I like "cannonball coming." Sometimes a clever, off the cuff remark becomes a popular catch phrase. I think that's how most of Bob Prince's began. But Greg Brown is so desperate for nicknames and catch phrases that he forces them. Today, he commented on Aaron Nola not hustling to cover 1B by saying "he wasn't building an ark." Really? Awkwardly conflating Nola with Noah to try to be funny. It was cringe worthy. Bob Walk wisely didn't comment on that. But Brown is constantly of the mindset they we need him to entertain us.

Seems to me that most fans either find the broadcasters annoying or give them a pass for the reasons you mentioned. But I don't know of anyone who really enjoys them and feels that even a bad game is enjoyable because of their antics. Sometimes "less is more." That would be a good lesson for the Pirate announcers to learn.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Brubaker now has a career record of 8-25. :(