I'm sick of Ownership and Management of this team

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Re: I'm sick of Ownership and Management of this team

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Doc wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 4:18 pm
Bobster wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 2:00 pm That's it, Doc. To Nutting, the Pirates are nothing more than a revenue generating business. How they perform on the field is irrelevant. But since a certain degree of public support is necessary, he occasionally has to endure the charade of pretending to care about winning. So we'll get a preseason comment about building a championship team (after which I'm guessing he spits and says, "I'm glad that's over with for another year"). But building a championship team is unnecessary and costs money. So it's not even a consideration. Sometimes, appeasement of the supporters requires a change in GM and manager. But that's just for show. You don't improve on a Huntington and Hurdle by hiring a Cherington and Shelton. One's as good as another. They suffice for Nutting's purposes. It's the mere act of the change that accomplishes the goal of making it look like he cares.

And it seems like whenever he's actually asked about the baseball operation, Nutting mentions the Dominican Academy. It seems more like a money laundering scheme than a pipeline for baseball talent.

("What are you doing with all that profit, Bob?")
("Who, me? Oh...I...uh...oh...I'm a...I'm putting lots of money into that darned Baseball Academy thingy. Yeah, that's what I'm doing! That's the ticket.")
And I wish someone would tell him to button his shirt. I don't know what look he's going for but he looks ridiculous.
Maybe they should put a dunk tank on Federal Street for each home game, and for $5 you get 3 throws to try to put him in the water. That extra money can be used to help pay players salaries.