7/10 Game Thread - Niese v Lackey

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

If NH and Hurdle go with common sense and logic over salaries and trying to make bad trades look good, then the rotation coming out of the break has to be:

1. Cole

2. Taillon (as soon as he's ready to go)

3. Glasnow

4. Liriano

5. Locke

That gives you Brault, Kuhl, Niese (ugh) and Vogelsong waiting in the wings if needed.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

4C756D626572436F000 wrote: I imagine if you could combine reggie smith and frank thomas you would get a player that looked alot like Josh Bell, kid is impressive on multiple levels.

Hurdle could not see away to start the hottest hitter in baseball. He has to somehow get him only 1 at bat in each of the three games we played. Wonder what he would have done if he had 16 abs instead of 3. Very frustrating to watch this FO and Tony Watson give away a game like this could have easily been won.

Count me frustrated with this team, seems we take 3 steps forward and 2 steps back, and once again that's not going to get it done.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Hintington has been very good in making trades the last three years. He got help and didn't give up much at all.

I don't know who would be moved.

I like the young guys, but might be a lot to ask for a pennant chase. One more veteran starter would be better than shuffling players in or out to start games.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

Niese didn't help anyone with 2 walks to lead off innings.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

7F676562627564637E7F690C0 wrote: I imagine if you could combine reggie smith and frank thomas you would get a player that looked alot like Josh Bell, kid is impressive on multiple levels.

Hurdle could not see away to start the hottest hitter in baseball.  He has to somehow get him only 1 at bat in each of the three games we played.  Wonder what he would have done if he had 16 abs instead of 3.  Very frustrating to watch this FO and Tony Watson give away a game like this could have easily been won.

Count me frustrated with this team, seems we take 3 steps forward and 2 steps back, and once again that's not going to get it done.

Skinny, I hear ya but my real instinct tells me that Bell needs to be where he can play all the time and work on his defense. At this point I think that the FO and Clint might be thinking that way.

They called him up to let him PH these three games before the AS break cause they needed someone to might be able to deliver in the pinch against the Cubs and that he did.

But keeping him despite his 3 terrific plate appearances, single, grand slam, and 9 pitch walk is kinda hard at this point without removing a player from the 25 man. Who goes? How does he go? These are questions that need to be asked. There is not a really bad guy at 1B ala Mike Morris or heaven forbid one Pedro Alvarez to have him replace.

I do believe that he will be here sometime soon. The FO needs to determine who they want to get rid of, how they gonna do it and what can they get for that guy. This is how the management side of the game works. And for the Bucs it has worked pretty darn well.

I do think that I heard Bell maybe staying around after the ASG to go to DC in case Polanco and or Joyce is not ready. I guess they could send him down during the break and bring him back if one of those two goes on DL or whatever. Will be interesting to see.
Steve19981

Post by Steve19981 »

183538292E3F28686B5A0 wrote: I hope Frazier learned his base running mistake.

He learned that one in Little League.  >:(

I didn't watch the end of the game but I had on the radio. It sounded to me like Frazier tryed to steal 2nd and got hung out to try dry on a flyball. Not sure that qualifies as anything other than bad luck.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

With the number of off days after the break, the Pirates can continue to go with a 6 man bench and a 4 man starting rotation.

My guess is that the rotation coming out of the break, is Cole, Liriano, Locke, and Tallion. Bucs have some choices to make with both Cole and Tallion having to come off of the DL.

I think Kuhl goes back to AAA to clear a spot for Cole, and that Bell is sent back when Tallion is needed.

I know the game has changed and that team's need to carry 7 in the pen and 5 in the starting rotation (particularly the Pirates who haven't even been getting 5 innings from their starters), but it sure is nice to have a 6 man bench in the NL.

And while I know this is the game thread, and no the future thread, I too hope that NH can move Niese. I wasn't down on the trade of Walker for Niese, mostly becaue of the option years, but Niese is not working out.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

6641504350040C0C0D04350 wrote: I hope Frazier learned his base running mistake.

I didn't watch the end of the game but I had on the radio. It sounded to me like Frazier tryed to steal 2nd and got hung out to try dry on a flyball. Not sure that qualifies as anything other than bad luck.

He was on third base. Never stopped to find the ball or looked at the third base coach.
Quail

Post by Quail »

2F242C2025243F7A7C0B322A2324246528244B0 wrote: I hope Frazier learned his base running mistake.

He was on third base.  Never stopped to find the ball or looked at the third base coach. 

Looked to me like Frazier mistakenly thought there were two outs instead of just one. The replay I saw seemed to show that he never even looked at the play in the outfield after contact, just kept running to third base.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Probably right. Even so, still just as bad.