Cutch's Struggles Continue

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dmetz

Post by dmetz »

060D05090C0D165355221B030A0D0D4C010D620 wrote: There are a bunch of defensive stats used today:  Putouts, Assists, Double Plays, Total Zone Runs, Range Factor and of course Fielding Percentage. 

McCutchen, over his career, has been pretty high in most categories.  He is up there in some again this year so far too.

I think you can compare outfielders to each other.  They all run down balls so you can see their route running.  They all still have to catch the ball (you know Polanco led the league in errors last year, right?).  It is not like comparing a Sedan to a Sports Car.  CF has more ground to cover, but that is about it. 

Players who are below average don't get nominated for major awards.  You might not think they deserve certain awards, but they still deserve to be nominated.  The "eye test" is an opinion, but the stats also back up my eyes.

The stats dont back up a single point you're trying to make!!!!!!!!! You're not even close.   He is a -9 DRS.   The next worst CF is -5.

He is a -11 UZR/150.   2nd worst of qualified CF.

What the heck are you even looking at?

Do you even know what an assist is?   You mention assists in the same breath you admit his arm is weak and inaccurate and he throws to the wrong bases!   

Pitchers that give up 5 runs in 5 innings kept the team in the game.   The worst defensive CF in the NL is actually above average.

You watch this great game of baseball through funhouse mirrors.    Youve got to move on. No relevant stats support your argument of above average.
Docjon49

Post by Docjon49 »

What is he, 0-for-12 in the past 2 games?

Man, I can NOT believe this.  I really hoped the all-star layoff would do him good.  Maybe they should have put him on the 15-day.  There's been discussion about extending him for many more years, but at this rate he might not make it to the end of his current contract as a starter.  Freakin' luck of the Pirates.

*Edit for clarification
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I heard this morning that in 2013 Cutch had 101 k,s for the year, and last night he struck out for the one hundredth time. He seems so different at the plate. Not hitting those bullets to right center field
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

454948131A131B16110E14230 wrote: I heard this morning that in 2013 Cutch had 101 k,s for the year, and last night he struck out for the one hundredth time. He seems so different at the plate.  Not hitting those bullets to right center field Yea I thought the break would help him as he was starting to come on strong the week before the break. But he is now 2 for his last 18 and still striking out a ton. You cant continue to hit him 3rd in the order if this continues.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I heard Andrew McCutchen has a larger strike out ratio than Pedro Alvarez. Not sure if that is true or if that is just this year or if McCutchen has a higher strike out rate than Alvarez had as a Pirate.

I caught the tail end of the discussion.