Salary flexability

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

Salary flexability

Post by SteadyFreddy »

7C777F7376776C292F586179707777367B77180 wrote: Freddy, you know why Hutchison is in the minors.  Why do you always forget about money and the importance of years of control?  Every team does this, not just the Pirates.  Come on...you are better than this! I understand it totally. So you think there is no way possible that Hutchinson who has actually had some big league success in the last year or so could be any worse then a guy like Locke?? They would rather pitch Jeff Locke up here who sucks instead of maybe giving Hutchinson a shot right now when you desperately need quality arms in this rotation. This is why I have a problem with this. Because right now when the Pirates are still 3 games out of a playoff spot and they desperately need pitching help and a guy like Hutchinson could potentially help them now, and they are more worried about keeping him in the Minors so that they don't lose him in 2023. 

I don't think he would be worse than Locke.  I don't want Locke on the team.

But I (and the Pirates) do not want to use Hutchison for 4 starts and lose 30-35 starts from him down the road.  It makes sense.  It is smart business. 

I like to live in the now and worry about the now so we can agree to disagree. I see your point but maybe Hutchinson would come up now and pitch great and help you get that 2nd wildcard spot when you still have a decent shot to get it. You don't know what is going to happen "down the road" a few years from now. You have a chance to still make the playoffs right now and you cant take it for granted.
SammyKhalifa

Salary flexability

Post by SammyKhalifa »

022534303528172334353528510 wrote: Freddy, you know why Hutchison is in the minors.  Why do you always forget about money and the importance of years of control?  Every team does this, not just the Pirates.  Come on...you are better than this! I understand it totally. So you think there is no way possible that Hutchinson who has actually had some big league success in the last year or so could be any worse then a guy like Locke?? They would rather pitch Jeff Locke up here who sucks instead of maybe giving Hutchinson a shot right now when you desperately need quality arms in this rotation. This is why I have a problem with this. Because right now when the Pirates are still 3 games out of a playoff spot and they desperately need pitching help and a guy like Hutchinson could potentially help them now, and they are more worried about keeping him in the Minors so that they don't lose him in 2023. 

But I (and the Pirates) do not want to use Hutchison for 4 starts and lose 30-35 starts from him down the road.  It makes sense.  It is smart business. 

I like to live in the now and worry about the now so we can agree to disagree. I see your point but maybe Hutchinson would come up now and pitch great and help you get that 2nd wildcard spot when you still have a decent shot to get it. You don't know what is going to happen "down the road" a few years from now. You have a chance to still make the playoffs right now and you cant take it for granted.

Maybe Freddie. But five years of your "living for the now" by now would have had us cutting half of the team and trading away the other half before they even got to the majors because you were "sick of waiting for 2016." ;) :D
Bobster21

Salary flexability

Post by Bobster21 »

624554505548774354555548310 wrote: Drew Hutchinson is awesome though.
Freddy, FYI-It's Hutchison. Not HutchiNson. Think of all the time you'll save now by not having to type that extra N. ;)
SteadyFreddy

Salary flexability

Post by SteadyFreddy »

0D202D3C3B2A3D7D7E4F0 wrote: Drew Hutchinson is awesome though.
Freddy, FYI-It's Hutchison. Not HutchiNson. Think of all the time you'll save now by not having to type that extra N.  ;)

Haha yes that's a few seconds out of my life I will never get back typing that extra N all of those times.
dave3BA

Salary flexability

Post by dave3BA »

795E4F4B4E536C584F4E4E532A0 wrote: Freddy, you know why Hutchison is in the minors.  Why do you always forget about money and the importance of years of control?  Every team does this, not just the Pirates.  Come on...you are better than this! I understand it totally. So you think there is no way possible that Hutchinson who has actually had some big league success in the last year or so could be any worse then a guy like Locke?? They would rather pitch Jeff Locke up here who sucks instead of maybe giving Hutchinson a shot right now when you desperately need quality arms in this rotation. This is why I have a problem with this. Because right now when the Pirates are still 3 games out of a playoff spot and they desperately need pitching help and a guy like Hutchinson could potentially help them now, and they are more worried about keeping him in the Minors so that they don't lose him in 2023. 

Explain why in one post you say Hutchison is so great they sent him to AAA (sarcastically) and then in another post you wonder if he could be up right now and "be awesome."

Sure seems like you're double-talking.
SteadyFreddy

Salary flexability

Post by SteadyFreddy »

2E2B3C2F79080B4A0 wrote: Freddy, you know why Hutchison is in the minors.  Why do you always forget about money and the importance of years of control?  Every team does this, not just the Pirates.  Come on...you are better than this! I understand it totally. So you think there is no way possible that Hutchinson who has actually had some big league success in the last year or so could be any worse then a guy like Locke?? They would rather pitch Jeff Locke up here who sucks instead of maybe giving Hutchinson a shot right now when you desperately need quality arms in this rotation. This is why I have a problem with this. Because right now when the Pirates are still 3 games out of a playoff spot and they desperately need pitching help and a guy like Hutchinson could potentially help them now, and they are more worried about keeping him in the Minors so that they don't lose him in 2023. 

Explain why in one post you say Hutchison is so great they sent him to AAA (sarcastically) and then in another post you wonder if he could be up right now and "be awesome."

Sure seems like you're double-talking. I don't know if he could be really good or really bad. The Pirates wont allow us that opportunity to see if he is good or bad because they are interested in saving a year of service time on this guy instead of maybe putting him in the rotation when you desperately need pitching help now and seeing if he can still help you potentially make the playoffs this season. Winning is never the top priority with this organization it seems like. Saving service time and saving money on players seems to overshadow winning.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Salary flexability

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

0B3935352113303934313E39580 wrote: Freddy, you know why Hutchison is in the minors.  Why do you always forget about money and the importance of years of control?  Every team does this, not just the Pirates.  Come on...you are better than this! I understand it totally. So you think there is no way possible that Hutchinson who has actually had some big league success in the last year or so could be any worse then a guy like Locke?? They would rather pitch Jeff Locke up here who sucks instead of maybe giving Hutchinson a shot right now when you desperately need quality arms in this rotation. This is why I have a problem with this. Because right now when the Pirates are still 3 games out of a playoff spot and they desperately need pitching help and a guy like Hutchinson could potentially help them now, and they are more worried about keeping him in the Minors so that they don't lose him in 2023. 

Maybe Freddie.  But five years of your "living for the now" by now would have had us cutting half of the team and trading away the other half before they even got to the majors because you were "sick of waiting for 2016."  ;)  :D

Exactly.
dave3BA

Salary flexability

Post by dave3BA »

0B2C3D393C211E2A3D3C3C21580 wrote: Freddy, you know why Hutchison is in the minors.  Why do you always forget about money and the importance of years of control?  Every team does this, not just the Pirates.  Come on...you are better than this! I understand it totally. So you think there is no way possible that Hutchinson who has actually had some big league success in the last year or so could be any worse then a guy like Locke?? They would rather pitch Jeff Locke up here who sucks instead of maybe giving Hutchinson a shot right now when you desperately need quality arms in this rotation. This is why I have a problem with this. Because right now when the Pirates are still 3 games out of a playoff spot and they desperately need pitching help and a guy like Hutchinson could potentially help them now, and they are more worried about keeping him in the Minors so that they don't lose him in 2023. 

Sure seems like you're double-talking. I don't know if he could be really good or really bad. The Pirates wont allow us that opportunity to see if he is good or bad because they are interested in saving a year of service time on this guy instead of maybe putting him in the rotation when you desperately need pitching help now and seeing if he can still help you potentially make the playoffs this season. Winning is never the top priority with this organization it seems like. Saving service time and saving money on players seems to overshadow winning.

Isn't the most likely answer to this that it solves two problems? One, they get the extra year of service time and second they wanted to tweak some mechanics to try to help him be successful in the future.
SteadyFreddy

Salary flexability

Post by SteadyFreddy »

47425546106162230 wrote: Freddy, you know why Hutchison is in the minors.  Why do you always forget about money and the importance of years of control?  Every team does this, not just the Pirates.  Come on...you are better than this! I understand it totally. So you think there is no way possible that Hutchinson who has actually had some big league success in the last year or so could be any worse then a guy like Locke?? They would rather pitch Jeff Locke up here who sucks instead of maybe giving Hutchinson a shot right now when you desperately need quality arms in this rotation. This is why I have a problem with this. Because right now when the Pirates are still 3 games out of a playoff spot and they desperately need pitching help and a guy like Hutchinson could potentially help them now, and they are more worried about keeping him in the Minors so that they don't lose him in 2023. 

Isn't the most likely answer to this that it solves two problems? One, they get the extra year of service time and second they wanted to tweak some mechanics to try to help him be successful in the future.

Probably it's a fair assessment.
dmetz

Salary flexability

Post by dmetz »

I think it makes all the sense in the world to keep Hutchison down. He's definitely not good right now. There's a chance he might end up good and starting him now while he stinks for 4 starts at the cost of a POSSIBLE 25 starts when he might actually be good would be dumb.

We have plenty of bad starters who can struggle through 4 games while our playoff chances disappear.

There's no way in the world I'm going to wait and see what we spend the extra 15 million on because I'm still waiting on where we are spending the extra money we had this year from last year's paltry payroll.

Margins keep increasing gentlemen. It's undeniable. Y'all can wait and see what extra crumbs Master Nutting throws to the floor after this most recent windfall if you like. I won't. It's a dump of young controllable talent to save about $15 million off a payroll obligation that is already woeful