Official McCutchen trade thread...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

I supported the Pirates trying to trade McCutchen, provided the team received a reasonable return. I am glad that NH did not simply deal him away to save salary.

I don't know why McCutchen fell off the cliff production wise for most of last year, but regardless of why it happened, McCutchen has to realize that he is still only 30 and that there is a lot of money he can still earn if he turns it around.

Dester Fowler is no where near the player that McCutchen was in his prime, he is older than McCutchen, and he just rewarded with a 5 year contract that pays him more each season than McCutchen has ever earned in a year.

So, Cutch, show your pride by accepting a move to LF, and go out and perform like an all-star at the position. Heck, if you do, maybe, just maybe, the Pirates can find their way back to the play-offs (doubtful if the team doesn't get some more pitching), and every other general manager will be licking their wounds for not having added you to their team during this off-season when you could have been had for an expensive, but reasonable amount of talent.

Come May, I hope that I can be watching the team and looking forward to you stepping to the plate rather than cringing as I did for most of last year. Go Andrew.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

There are some reports coming out on Giolito. He has a different release point and has a very low spin rotation on his fastball. With all the stats out there now, maybe this played a big part in not trading for him or at least wanting more.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/p ... bmfLU2r.97

Wade (Cleveland, OH): Do you see the Bucs actually dealing Cutch in the near future? What package of prospects would you ask for in return if your last name was Huntington?

John Perrotto: That’s the million-dollar question. It’s become clear that teams aren’t willing to give up too much for a player coming off his worst season. That being said, the Pirates have painted themselves in a bit of a corner. If they don’t deal McCutchen before spring training then it is going to hang over the team all year until he is finally moved. I know Andrew will handle it professional, as he did last weekend at PirateFest, but it will be an issue that isn’t going away. The best case scenario, if my name were Huntington, would be for McCutchen to have a big first half then deal him for a couple of top prospects along with B- or C-lister at the deadline in July. The worst-case scenario would be for the Pirates to be in contention, trade him and then explain to their fans and players why they dealt a key playrer in the midst of a pennant race, a la Mark Melancon this year.

Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/p ... 5USUY43.99

Preposterous, the best case scenario is for McCutchen to play like an MVP and get the Pirates back into the playoffs. Second best case scenario is for all baseball media outlets to stop treating Perrotto as a Pirates' expert.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Perrotto's answer makes no sense to me. The Pirates had offers of prospects for McCutchen but wanted ML ready talent as well. It wasn't that teams weren't willing to pay, just what form that currency would take. In addition, Melancon was in his last year and if he wasn't traded would have gone without compensation. McCutchen is not in his last year. They will not trade him mid-season unless things are really dire. Next off-season, though, they may look to prospects in return. The lower levels are short on impact talent.

On the other hand, Perrotto is Perrotto.
Speedloader88

Post by Speedloader88 »

Ken Rosenthal is reporting that the Mets are trying to acquire Andrew McCuthen. The article centers around the idea that they have the highest paid outfield in the league but that they are all corner outfielders. The article opines that McCuthen would be their center fielder and that Granderson and Bruce would be jettison from the Mets Roster. No talk as to what the Mets would pony up for Andrew.
Tintin

Post by Tintin »

5D7E6B6B6A62616F6A6B7C36360E0 wrote: Ken Rosenthal is reporting that the Mets are trying to acquire Andrew McCuthen.  The article centers around the idea that they have the highest paid outfield in the league but that they are all corner outfielders.  The article opines that McCuthen would be their center fielder and that Granderson and Bruce would be jettison from the Mets Roster.  No talk as to what the Mets would pony up for Andrew.

I would do Matz, Rosario, Gsellman, and conforto, granderson or bruce for Cutch and Watson.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

003D3A203D3A540 wrote: Ken Rosenthal is reporting that the Mets are trying to acquire Andrew McCuthen.  The article centers around the idea that they have the highest paid outfield in the league but that they are all corner outfielders.  The article opines that McCuthen would be their center fielder and that Granderson and Bruce would be jettison from the Mets Roster.  No talk as to what the Mets would pony up for Andrew.

I would do Matz, Rosario, Gsellman, and conforto, granderson or bruce for Cutch and Watson.

I heard they were offering Bruce and Matz.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

737269786E2E291D0 wrote: Ken Rosenthal is reporting that the Mets are trying to acquire Andrew McCuthen.  The article centers around the idea that they have the highest paid outfield in the league but that they are all corner outfielders.  The article opines that McCuthen would be their center fielder and that Granderson and Bruce would be jettison from the Mets Roster.  No talk as to what the Mets would pony up for Andrew.

I don't think I'd do that, personally. Matz I like. Bruce, not so much. But, he'd probably just be there to bridge the gap to Meadows' Super 2 date. Still, seems low, especially considering the at least even odds likelihood that McCutchen rebounds and really improves his stock between now and July 31.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

4C4447706643646B050 wrote: Ken Rosenthal is reporting that the Mets are trying to acquire Andrew McCuthen.  The article centers around the idea that they have the highest paid outfield in the league but that they are all corner outfielders.  The article opines that McCuthen would be their center fielder and that Granderson and Bruce would be jettison from the Mets Roster.  No talk as to what the Mets would pony up for Andrew.

I don't think I'd do that, personally.  Matz I like.  Bruce, not so much.  But, he'd probably just be there to bridge the gap to Meadows' Super 2 date.  Still, seems low, especially considering the at least even odds likelihood that McCutchen rebounds and really improves his stock between now and July 31.

In that deal the Bucs would be getting Bruce just to save the Mets money. Because of Matz's injuries I think the Bucs should get more than him for Cutch.
Tintin

Post by Tintin »

555D5E697F5A7D721C0 wrote: Ken Rosenthal is reporting that the Mets are trying to acquire Andrew McCuthen.  The article centers around the idea that they have the highest paid outfield in the league but that they are all corner outfielders.  The article opines that McCuthen would be their center fielder and that Granderson and Bruce would be jettison from the Mets Roster.  No talk as to what the Mets would pony up for Andrew.

I don't think I'd do that, personally.  Matz I like.  Bruce, not so much.  But, he'd probably just be there to bridge the gap to Meadows' Super 2 date.  Still, seems low, especially considering the at least even odds likelihood that McCutchen rebounds and really improves his stock between now and July 31.

Yes whichever of comes back would just bridge until Meadows comes up.