4/5 Game Thread-Game 2-Bucs vs. Red Sox

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

080003342207202F410 wrote: That was an ugly inning.  Not sure why he didn't let Nicasio pitch 2 innings.
Exactly totally head scratching move.  Nicasio is your long guy and for sure Bastardo is a one player reliever, if even that.  Hurdle is just awful.

I know you guys are just venting, but I'm going to disagree.  It's game 2...of 162.  Against an AL team, who won't be competing against us for a division title, or a WC birth.  If we throw Nicasio for two innings tonight, that's an inning he might not have in the tank in August against St. Louis or the Mets.  I know, it's only one inning.  But an extra inning here, an extra inning there, they add up.  Not that you throw these games away, but in terms of importance, interleague games are objectively the least important games of the year.

Still worried about #22. :-/

I disagree with you IA. Every game counts the same and every game that's a W or and L counts the same as well especially early in the season. We have seen the Pirates poor April's come back to haunt them in the past costing them a division title and forcing them to play in the wildcard round so I don't believe in the theory that these games don't mean as much right now because they do. They don't give you an extra 1/2 win for winning a game against your division or a wildcard contender, as opposed to winning a game against an AL team like the Red Sox. A few years ago the Pirates had one of the better records in baseball against the AL and in Interleague play, and that was a big reason why they won 94 games in 2013, and 98 games in 2015. I'm not playing to win a game in July or August in April now and worrying about that yet. The Pirates need to win games now. If they don't win games now those games later on in the season that you speak of against the Cardinals or the Mets in August aren't going to matter much because the Pirates could be out of contention by then if they don't win enough games now.
Tintin

Post by Tintin »

We should have left Osuna and Williams on the 25 for this series, if only for insurance of a game like last night.

notes34

Post by notes34 »

656D6E594F6A4D422C0 wrote: That was an ugly inning.  Not sure why he didn't let Nicasio pitch 2 innings.
Exactly totally head scratching move.  Nicasio is your long guy and for sure Bastardo is a one player reliever, if even that.  Hurdle is just awful.

I know you guys are just venting, but I'm going to disagree.  It's game 2...of 162.  Against an AL team, who won't be competing against us for a division title, or a WC birth.  If we throw Nicasio for two innings tonight, that's an inning he might not have in the tank in August against St. Louis or the Mets.  I know, it's only one inning.  But an extra inning here, an extra inning there, they add up.  Not that you throw these games away, but in terms of importance, interleague games are objectively the least important games of the year.

I will admit I missed a lot of the game last night as my son had a scrimmage. I only saw one of Cutch's AB's and Pedroia made an outstanding play on what looked like a hit. What did he look like in the other AB's, I know he went 0-5 but that doesn't always tell the story.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

776B6670707A030 wrote: That game really frustrated me.

Why was Marte asked to sac bunt?

Why was Cutch given the green light on a 2-0 count and Marte on first?

Why was Gosselin even in the game?

Why was Bastardo left in after walking two and throwing to an uncovered base?
Why was Jaso wasted? A guy who is basically just a LH pinch hitter who was removed from 1B last year in late innings for defense now goes in for defense at 1B for Bell who has been fine there. Two innings later, Gosselin hits for Jaso. I've never been impressed with Hurdle.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

7A5D4C484D506F5B4C4D4D50290 wrote: That was an ugly inning.  Not sure why he didn't let Nicasio pitch 2 innings.

I disagree with you IA. Every game counts the same and every game that's a W or and L counts the same as well especially early in the season. We have seen the Pirates poor April's come back to haunt them in the past costing them a division title and forcing them to play in the wildcard round so I don't believe in the theory that these games don't mean as much right now because they do. They don't give you an extra 1/2 win for winning a game against your division or a wildcard contender, as opposed to winning a game against an AL team like the Red Sox. A few years ago the Pirates had one of the better records in baseball against the AL and in Interleague play, and that was a big reason why they won 94 games in 2013, and 98 games in 2015. I'm not playing to win a game in July or August in April now and worrying about that yet. The Pirates need to win games now. If they don't win games now those games later on in the season that you speak of against the Cardinals or the Mets in August aren't going to matter much because the Pirates could be out of contention by then if they don't win enough games now.

I have to agree with Freddy. While early losses mean little in terms of standings, a loss is a loss and when we see if the record is good enough at the end of the season to make the playoffs, they don't discount losses that were early or to AL teams. IMHO, every game is of equal importance. Unless you've already clinched a playoff spot, there's no game on the schedule that's less important to win. I understand that we aren't competing with Boston for a playoff berth. But we just added one to the L column that we can never get back and that can be the difference between the Pirates playing a WC game or watching it on TV. If they finish a game out of the WC spot, it won't be any consolation that Nicasio was rested after 1 inning on April 5.
PMike

Post by PMike »

776B6670707A030 wrote: That game really frustrated me.

I didn't have a problem with the bunt. The question for me was why couldn't he execute the stupid thing.

The green light for 2-0 was fine. Perfect count to hit. Again, why didn't Marte take off on the first 2 pitches. What on earth was he waiting for?

Why was Gosselin in the game? Because you have to use as many of the bench players as possible, every game, right? ::)

Why was Bastardo still in the game? Exactly. There was no-one even warming up.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

My concern continues to be offense in general, power (or lack thereof) in particular.

Through 2 games the difference in both games has been a home run. Boston got a 3-run HR in each game, the Pirates of course did not.

I'm afraid that may be a theme throughout the year ... the opponent being much more likely to get a quick-strike score than the Pirates.

And man I am worried about Cutch. We need a .290-25-90 kind of year out of him, and I'm not seeing it.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Watching guys like Marte,Cutch, and Polanco hit sometimes when they are struggling is brutal. They swing at bad pitches, they do stupid stuff when they are ahead in the counts. and you just have that feeling when they come up that they aren't going to get it done. It's very frustrating to see time and time again.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

Hurdle said that Marte was bunting on his own. He can be pretty exasperating sometimes. At this point in his career he should which side of the field to bunt toward.
thessy

Post by thessy »

534E6A6866030 wrote: That game really frustrated me.

I didn't have a problem with the bunt.  The question for me was why couldn't he execute the stupid thing.

The green light for 2-0 was fine.  Perfect count to hit.  Again, why didn't Marte take off on the first 2 pitches.  What on earth was he waiting for?

Why was Gosselin in the game?  Because you have to use as many of the bench players as possible, every game, right?   ::)

Why was Bastardo still in the game?  Exactly.  There was no-one even warming up.

The bunt could be debated I guess, and he should have been able to get it down. Maybe this is more of a hindsight complaint. I realize it was a scoreless game to that point, but I don't like playing for a single run in that situation. Marte is your best hitter and you're on the road up against what's expected to possibly be the most potent offense in baseball. If a lesser hitter than Marte were up along with maybe a faster guy than Mercer on base (or if you're at home in the bottom half of the inning) then go for the sac bunt, but I just don't like the call in that situation last night.

I don't like the 2-0 green light because I don't think the numbers support it. Fudging things a bit here but but with league average .250 hitters the likelihood of back to back hits is 1/16. If Marte steals at a 50% clip the likelihood of a successful steal and a Cutch hit to knock him in are 1/8. Of course Cutch could have clobbered the 2-0 pitch over the green monster, anything can happen and it's a debatable call, I just don't like it given that particular set of variables (who was on base, who was batting, that point in the game, etc.).