June 7th vs Orioles

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

June 7th vs Orioles

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

3235232B2532757900272D21292C6E232F2D400 wrote: I don't know if I've ever seen a more discouraging series, or games more thrown away.  This series demands a response from the Pirates.

What kind of response?

Two very bad losses. The Pirates are 91-5 when leading after the 8th inning since last year. Three of those losses happened in the last month.
skinnyhorse

June 7th vs Orioles

Post by skinnyhorse »

4E454D4144455E1B1D6A534B4245450449452A0 wrote: I don't know if I've ever seen a more discouraging series, or games more thrown away.  This series demands a response from the Pirates.

What kind of response? 

Two very bad losses. The Pirates are 91-5 when leading after the 8th inning since last year. Three of those losses happened in the last month.

How about this from our illustrious leader, "Watson still my closer". That's what I expect.
rucker59@gmail.com

June 7th vs Orioles

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

55707373664D70787A6D1F0 wrote: What's another loss.  There is zero commitment to winning in this origanization. 

Prospective: if we could reverse 3 of the blown saves the Pirates would be at .500 and only 1 1/2 games out of first.

And the killer is, these are 2 and 3 run saves that are being blown. No excuses.
I'm curious.

Being on the West Coast; I do not get to hear what the locals are saying. I have not heard a peep out of NH, FC, or Nutting himself.

Is the Burgh solely focused on the Pens run for the Cup?

Has apathy set in with the Pirates?

Pens deflect a lot of attention, but there is a very different mood around town at least from what I see and hear. The "barber shop" talk that I hear pretty much mocks the organization. The paper and especially talk radio is starting to throw sharp jabs at the FO and Nutting. I don't know, but suspect attendance is down.

Honestly, I think Nutting is risking a ton.

And you're correct: not a peep out of the FO.
skinnyhorse

June 7th vs Orioles

Post by skinnyhorse »

Hurdle is now in Lloyd McClendon territory, how much lower can he go.
rucker59@gmail.com

June 7th vs Orioles

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

2E252D2124253E7B7D0A332B2225256429254A0 wrote: I don't know if I've ever seen a more discouraging series, or games more thrown away.  This series demands a response from the Pirates.

What kind of response? 

I would like the Pirates to address their expectations and plans. Things are going south, obvious holes all over the place - do they expect this team to play better, do they expect to fill holes.

I don't know, I'm just frustrated the way things are going. The FO has set on this team since winter - personally I'd love to have the FO address the state of the team.

I don't expect anything to happen.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

June 7th vs Orioles

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Kuhl probably save his job tonight. Taillon is on the same pitching schedule and should be back after tonight.

A pitching move is going to happen. 

Bell is in a slump. Frazier is in a slump.

Moroff looks good out there. I like him over the other back up infielders.

Should Freese play more 1B? 

Diaz is looking good. His arm is special.
CarolinaBucco

June 7th vs Orioles

Post by CarolinaBucco »

My point it this ...

Wins are hard to get (especially for this team). When they are sitting RIGHT THERE in front of you, you do what you have to do to take the win.

No one knows what's going to happen tomorrow ... we may be behind by 10 runs, or up by 10 runs, or rained out. Who knows. We may not need Rivero at all for the next 3-4 days.

But we needed him in Baltimore to LOCK DOWN two big wins.

On Tuesday, he was removed after 15 pitches (even though he was fully rested).

On Wednesday, he was available but not used (at least not when it mattered).

Just inexcusable in my opinion. Take the wins when you can get them and worry about tomorrow tomorrow.
UtahPirate

June 7th vs Orioles

Post by UtahPirate »

Here's what I hated the most. With the O's being such a power lineup, Barbato gets a second inning. I was breathing a sigh of relief that he got through one. Now with two runners on "and a save situation" established, we get Watson.

Just trot Watson out with a 4-run lead in a non save situation. This closer only comes in for a statistical save is pure nonsense. Even if Watson had given up something, he had 4 runs to work with.

Or, if you had Rivero, throw him in the 9th in a non-save situation. Barbato? WTF!
skinnyhorse

June 7th vs Orioles

Post by skinnyhorse »

0B293A27242126290A3D2B2B27480 wrote: My point it this ...

Wins are hard to get (especially for this team). When they are sitting RIGHT THERE in front of you, you do what you have to do to take the win.

No one knows what's going to happen tomorrow ... we may be behind by 10 runs, or up by 10 runs, or rained out. Who knows. We may not need Rivero at all for the next 3-4 days.

Just inexcusable in my opinion. Take the wins when you can get them and worry about tomorrow tomorrow.
My feeling exactly.
Ecbucs

June 7th vs Orioles

Post by Ecbucs »

6D4F5C414247404F6C5B4D4D412E0 wrote: My point it this ...

This is right on target. IMO, it is time to manage like every game is a game 7, no saving the bullpen for the future, no resting someone for a future game unless they need a rest.

That may be fine strategy when season is young and there is a good chance the team will be contention in September.

Not so much now when the odds are you will be playing for next year in August.