Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

FIRE SALE!!

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Why is Glasnow no longer a prospect?
Aaron

FIRE SALE!!

Post by Aaron »

4C474F4346475C191F685149404747064B47280 wrote: Why is Glasnow no longer a prospect?
To be considered a prospect by BA you must have less than 130 ABs or 50 IPs.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

FIRE SALE!!

48687B6667090 wrote: Why is Glasnow no longer a prospect?
To be considered a prospect by BA you must have less than 130 ABs or 50 IPs.

Gotcha. The Pirates probably still consider him a huge prospect.
JollyRoger

FIRE SALE!!

Post by JollyRoger »

7C777F7376776C292F586179707777367B77180 wrote: Harrison, Mercer, maybe a healthy Cervelli?  Kang?  Why didn't you include them in the core?

Polanco is a fine addition.  He might not be a super star like some hoped, but he is a fine second tier player.  He is still improving.  He is only in his third year and can be here for another six years.  He can duplicate 2016 with even more power and a higher average.[/quot

Weren't you one of the regulars that wanted rid of Harrison anyway? I'm pretty sure last season you said his contract was bad for the Pirates. Now you include him in your core going forward?

I am not a fan of Harrison.  He is under contract, he is playing very well.  No one can deny that.  He deserves the All Star Game.  He is signed.  A bad contract can still be part of the core.  I don't think he is going to be worth $10 million, $10.5 and $11.5 the next three years.  I hope I am wrong.

I don't know how anybody could not be a fan of Harrison. He plays the game the way it should be giving 110% every game. He plays multiple positions extremely well. 2 time all star for a guy without a permanent position is impressive. While Cutch may be the face of the franchise, Harrison is the leader. Yes he makes some baserunning blunders but that is out of aggressiveness trying to make something happen. Most players on this team dont even go from first to third on a hit to RF. Harrison would be sorely missed if he were traded. He definitely has earned his contract.
dmetz

FIRE SALE!!

Post by dmetz »

There's isn't a bad core here.   As much as I agree with the sentiment, pretty much, in this thread, I'm stubbornly convinced that we aren't sitting in a bad spot to ADD TALENT and get competitive again almost immediately. 

Especially considering that a lot of these guys know what it means to win in the bigs.Yeah, I understand we're never going to ACTUALLY do that (add to a core of talent). 

Pittsburgh hoping that we can rebuild yet again and end up with a better, cheaper core of talent 3-4 years from now than what we have right now is a gigantic waste of time.  it's not a guarantee not to happen, but we will be sitting at approximately the same place. about a .500 team (with all hands on deck) and the need to make a 2-3 moves.  

The pirates championship should be .500 ball teams.  If you end up .500 or above as often as you don't while maintaining the 26th-30th highest payroll year after year, you're the Bob Nutting Champion. Give us a trophy.

Cleveland is calling folks. There are pirates fans out east who drive further to see a pirates game than 50% of Pirates fans would otherwise have to drive to see an Indians game.

JollyRoger

FIRE SALE!!

Post by JollyRoger »

1332272E162F34273223460 wrote:

Keith Law had our systemranked 4th and baseball America had it ranked 7th. 

Our bullpen is a mess, the defense is a mess, the hitting a mess, but we have a decent core and there is nothing wrong with our farm.

Josh Bell and Tyler Glasnow are no longer considered prospects.

Austin Meadows has been injured and not performing well.

Kevin Newman has not hit.

Mitch Keller is the only top prospect performing well.

Baseball America will likely drop the Pirates 5-10 spots in their rankings to the middle of the pack.

All system have guys graduate and not produce..

They had 11 all stars in Bradenton, good pitching through the system.  Kramer, the kid from Wake, Ke'bryan, Tucker, Luplaw have all had good seasons

Throw in what I think is a real good draft and we'll easily hold where we are .

There are a whole lot of systems devoid of talent.

The top 5 BA minor leagues systems are Braves, Yankees, Astros, Dodgers, White Sox. The Braves have sold pieces for two years now and were #3 in 2016, but #29 in 2015. The Yankees were #17 in 2016 and White Sox #23. Both teams got their prospects and ranking from selling highly rated players at the deadline last year -- Chapman and Sale. Astros and Dodgers have drafted well.

If we do sell seriously at the deadline (meaning either Cutch or Cole) you'll see our system move up from #7, not down, even though we've graduated several prospects. Both of those players will bring more than one top prospect. If the Dodgers want the ring this year, I can see them make a serious move at the deadline for Cutch. That weakens their system while strengthening ours.

Too bad it will have been a year of two too late to nab Bellinger
RichD

FIRE SALE!!

Post by RichD »

Luplow OF making a move this year. Now at AAA . Hope he keeps it up. His power has showed up.

Craig 1b down in A+ should get a promotion AA. The power isnt there yet but he knows what hes doing at the plate.Might need to start playing some 3rd/OF

2 guys that give me hope.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

FIRE SALE!!

Harrison was pretty bad in 2015 and 2016.  He can hold his own on defense at many positions, but only last year he played a solid defense all year round.  Probably helped staying at one position the whole time.

Part of it for me is that he replaced a very smart ball player.  A ball player who I thought was better on the field too. 

I would never doubt his hustle.  He takes a lot of extra bases, but a lot comes on luck too.  People love how he got out of those run downs years ago, but he should have never been in those run downs.  Even a few times this year he got safe a few times because a fielder dropped the throw or a bad throw to the bag. 

He is having a fine season this year.  No doubt.  Overall, I just don't know.  One good season, followed by two bad seasons, and now this season has him even.  Hopefully, this is the Harrison we see going forward and not the one in 2015 and 2016.
dmetz

FIRE SALE!!

Post by dmetz »

1B26213B26214F0 wrote:

Keith Law had our systemranked 4th and baseball America had it ranked 7th. 

Our bullpen is a mess, the defense is a mess, the hitting a mess, but we have a decent core and there is nothing wrong with our farm.

Josh Bell and Tyler Glasnow are no longer considered prospects.

Austin Meadows has been injured and not performing well.

Kevin Newman has not hit.

Mitch Keller is the only top prospect performing well.

Baseball America will likely drop the Pirates 5-10 spots in their rankings to the middle of the pack.

All system have guys graduate and not produce..

They had 11 all stars in Bradenton, good pitching through the system.  Kramer, the kid from Wake, Ke'bryan, Tucker, Luplaw have all had good seasons

Throw in what I think is a real good draft and we'll easily hold where we are .

There are a whole lot of systems devoid of talent.

You're living and dying on the low minors.  That's always a red-flag that it's not real. If a system has a bunch of highly rated guys in AA and AAA, that's one thing. These guys are too far away to have much of any idea what's going to happen.

How many times does looking at a young pup and projecting him into something great going to burn people before they stop counting chickens in A ball?

At least wait until these hitters have to face AA pitching before even thinking about them being "nice prospects".     Especially if they're college hitters.
notes34

FIRE SALE!!

Post by notes34 »

4B424A5B552F0 wrote: There's isn't a bad core here.   As much as I agree with the sentiment, pretty much, in this thread, I'm stubbornly convinced that we aren't sitting in a bad spot to ADD TALENT and get competitive again almost immediately. 

Especially considering that a lot of these guys know what it means to win in the bigs.Yeah, I understand we're never going to ACTUALLY do that (add to a core of talent). 

Pittsburgh hoping that we can rebuild yet again and end up with a better, cheaper core of talent 3-4 years from now than what we have right now is a gigantic waste of time.   it's not a guarantee not to happen, but we will be sitting at approximately the same place.  about a .500 team (with all hands on deck) and the need to make a 2-3 moves.  

The pirates championship should be .500 ball teams.  If you end up .500 or above as often as you don't while maintaining the 26th-30th highest payroll year after year, you're the Bob Nutting Champion.   Give us a trophy.

Cleveland is calling folks.   There are pirates fans out east who drive further to see a pirates game than 50% of Pirates fans would otherwise have to drive to see an Indians game.   

You're right about the core if its all here. That would push some of the other guys into the role they should be in. Freese, Frazier, ect. If you kept everyone(except Polanco who I would trade) including Cutch and added to this team, yes I think it could be very good. We all know that isn't going to happen.