The Milwaukee Series ... THIS. IS. IT.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

2229212D2829327771063F272E2929682529460 wrote: Besides not challenging the call at the plate, it was a well managed game by Hurdle.

I liked starting Osuna and then replacing him for Frazier on defense. A double switch was done right with Freese and Moroff.

The bullpen did their job. Polanco got four hits all against a lefty. McCutchen hustled down the line and stole a base. Kuhl pitched well overall. Got ripped off by the official scorer. Polanco with a huge assist at the plate.

Great game to attend and watch. Raise it!

I think Hurdle should have left Kuhl in to finish the 6th.

Crazy that Hudson comes in and gives up a potential go ahead single to the only batter he faced and he gets the win.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

113437372209343C3E295B0 wrote:

Crazy that Hudson comes in and gives up a potential go ahead single to the only batter he faced and he gets the win.

And things got a little dicey with Watson-2 hits and a walk. Then Nicasio gave up a hit to his first batter. But the scorebook shows 3.1 innings of scoreless relief. Thank goodness for Rivero.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Daniel Hudson‏

@DHuddy41

Me : “pitcher Ws are such a dumb stat.”

Also me, after vulturing a W throwing 2 pitches and giving up a single : “W’s are great!”

8:38 PM - 17 Jul 2017
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

I couldn't watch the game last night, but was following on At Bat app. At one point, the app said the Brewers were up 4-0 with bases loaded, and I figured, "Shoot. Same ole Pirates. Big win, then the come out and lay an egg." So, I quit paying attention. I happened to check back like 15 minutes later, just to see if it was now 7-0 or something like that, and was very pleasantly surprised to see a 2-2 score. Did this happen to anyone else? Or am I losing my mind?
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

595152657356717E100 wrote: Did this happen to anyone else?  Or am I losing my mind?
It could be both. :D :D :D
iabucco

Post by iabucco »

565E5D6A7C597E711F0 wrote: I couldn't watch the game last night, but was following on At Bat app.  At one point, the app said the Brewers were up 4-0 with bases loaded, and I figured, "Shoot.  Same ole Pirates.  Big win, then the come out and lay an egg."  So, I quit paying attention.  I happened to check back like 15 minutes later, just to see if it was now 7-0 or something like that, and was very pleasantly surprised to see a 2-2 score.  Did this happen to anyone else?  Or am I losing my mind?

It happened to me. It was odd they even had the plays listed that scored the runs but I couldn't understand because it looked like the brewers had a sac fly with two outs.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

4D45465147474B240 wrote: I couldn't understand because it looked like the brewers had a sac fly with two outs. 

CURSE YOUR RYAN BRAUN!!!
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

52777474614A777F7D6A180 wrote:

I think Hurdle should have left Kuhl in to finish the 6th.

Kuhl hasn't got out of the sixth numerous times this year. He threw 8 strikes and 7 balls that inning. He walked two batters. The last batter had a 3-0 count. I think he was done.

If there was confidence in the bullpen, this was a no brainer. The bullpen is scary. Polanco saved the game at that point with a strong throw.

(Great tweets by Hudson)
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

6644574A494C4B44675046464A250 wrote: Note: This post is assuming that we play 4 games vs. MIL this week with no rainouts.

So this is it. When the Brewers series is over, the Pirates could be as close as 3 games out of 1st or as far back as 11 games. So yea there's a ton on the line.

Here's how I see the various results:

3 games out -- (PIT sweep). Pirates have swept the Brewers, have a ton of momentum and are in the thick of a playoff race.

5 games out -- (PIT 3 of 4). Pirates are still very much in contention and the front office should make plans to try to win a winnable division.

7 games out -- (SPLIT 2-2). Pirates have blown a golden opportunity, split the series, have gained no ground and are heading out West on a 10-game road trip. I would declare the season essentially over, barring a miracle, and I would make plans to sell.

9 games out -- (MIL 3 of 4). Season over.

11 games out -- (MIL sweep). Season over.

Bottom line ... if the Pirates can take 3 of 4, they are still very much in this race. Anything short of that, and it's time to focus on 2018 and beyond.

Well, we'll either be 3, 5, 7, or 9 games out after this series. You have to like the pitching matchups the rest of the series. We could really use seven or eight strong from Nova tonight, or a big night from the offense. Would be nice to jump out to a four or five run lead and just let Nova coast.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

200D00111607105053620 wrote: Funny how Wehner pointed out that Shaw almost made an error. I didn't know Shaw has a chance to break his record.

I am also shocked the Pirates haven't made more errors than the first place Brewers.
Wehner shares the record with Jeff Cirillo for most games at 3B without an error. Big difference though: Cirillo was a starter and Wehner was a reserve and late inning defense replacement. Wehner didn't play a lot of innings.

Do you know how many innings each played? I think it is closer than we might think. Wehner played more 3B in his career than any other position. I wonder how many chances each had too.

I remember when Cirillo was chasing Wehner, being a Wehner fan. I know there were games where Cirillo had only one or two plays thinking that wasn't fair (ha ha, I was young).