No Deal Neal and Bottom Line Bob

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BenM

Post by BenM »

6F67645345604748260 wrote: Very interesting article. I feel like you could substitute the word "Pirates" every time you see the word "Marlins," and it would read the same.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/1865 ... ure-profit

Loria is faaaar worse than Nutting. He's not just cheap, he is a straight up grifter, going back to his days in Montreal.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

77505B78350 wrote: Very interesting article. I feel like you could substitute the word "Pirates" every time you see the word "Marlins," and it would read the same.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/1865 ... ure-profit

Loria is faaaar worse than Nutting. He's not just cheap, he is a straight up grifter, going back to his days in Montreal.

might have posted this in a different thread but if Nutting did decide to sell the ones who lost out on Marlins could be candidates.
BenM

Post by BenM »

With the caveat that predicting the top of a market is a sucker bet. From a financial standpoint, this actually might be a good time for Nutting to sell.

A lot of the asset appreciation for team valuations in the last couple of decades has come from a media rights arms race that pumped a ton of money into all professional leagues. There's some speculation that that trend might be slowing.

In addition, the Bucs' cable contract is coming up for negotiation. It used to be that was a guaranteed bonanza for the team, but that may no longer be the case.

I suspect that the TV revenues will continue to rise, but there's a lot more uncertainty about the rate continuing like it did for the last twenty years. And that revue growth is why teams are worth over a billion now.