Game Thread: 8-15-17 Bucs vs. Brewers

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

567071667060130 wrote: I didn't say quality was added. I responded to the comment that Huntington won't add a few million to compete. But he literally did that. He added millions to the current roster. Literally.

Don't you think it is stupid to add millions to the current roster and not improve quality?

I didn't say I liked the moves or thought they were good moves. I liked Kontos, but I didn't think Rodriguez was going to make that impact that was needed as a bench player. But if you just want someone who can play the outfield defensively, Rodriguez is that guy. That's what many wanted, that's what the Pirates got.

Sometimes I forget who can nit-pick and who can't. The original comment wasn't meant literally (learned after the fact), yet my response is still getting picked away.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

65757443555559360 wrote: The reality has fully settled in that Huntington is a realist.  He assessed the off season roster along with the loss of Marte and Kang and made the decision that they could not afford to replace those losses.  He decided then that this team was not the squad to make substantial investment in.  I believe he has known since April that he was playing for 2018.  It is us, not he, who is delusional. But, like you, I have made the conscious decision to quit being a fan only to have my heart stray back to that scandalous ex-girlfriend who's perfume scent will haunt you forever even though you know she is toxic. 

Then why did he hold Nicasio at the deadline when good  pen pitchers were getting solid trade returns?

Did any trade returns for bullpen help bring back major league ready players? 

I would think holding onto Nicasio is for next year as he would be needed next year not some kid a few years away. 

Perhaps holding out for an even better deal in August.  I'm pretty sure he is a free agent after this season.

Yes, you are correct.  He is a free agent after this season.  Huntington said he wasn't traded because they still wanted to win this year.  I know many don't believe that statement, but that is why someone like Nicasio wasn't moved.  I assumed the return was pretty bad as I thought Nicasio would have been dealt for sure.

So NH wants to compete this year.  But won't take on a few million and lose a scrub prospect for an outfielder. 

Got it.

He took on over $7 million since August???

He didn't bring in quality.  Sorry.  Big difference.  Sure, he took on more, but where is the quality.  Stop defending.  S. Rod, Kontos and the garbage arm from Philly, Benoit aren't what I would constitute as difference makers.  You make it sound like quality was added.

This is MLB not the little league. So what if the Pirates took on even a "whopping" $7M this year (Dog's math, not mine or anyone else's)! BIG DEAL! Pocket change in the world of MLB.

To be using these microscopic deals within the context of a year of literal pennypinching as evidence that the Pirates spend money is absurd.

However, to make this silly matter worse, Rodriguez is not due 5.7 million by October. To try to act like Neal has taken on that much new money is ridiculous.

Here's what Nutting needs to do to be a hero (obviously, he all ready is) to some people: go into 2018 with a $30M payroll, add TEN MILLION DOLLARS at the trade deadline and we can celebrate how awesome our owner is! "See, look how much Faithful Owner LOVE us!"

My gosh, the season is tough enough. To be using the August acquisitions as evidence of anything is like fingernails on a blackboard. I liked the two deals for what they are. But to see them to be used to advance Nutting propaganda just leaves a very sour taste.