Brandon Nimmo for Josh Harrison?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

I really don't think the Muts and our GM would be in agreement for anything. If I'm the Muts GM and I want to keep Nimmo, I go the free agent route.

The options of NH sending Harrison out are shrinking. Toronto was an option at one point. That is gone. The Muts don't seem willing to send the one name our GM wants. Milwaukee could use him, but they would be dumb to send Santana back.
Quail

Post by Quail »

38313928265C0 wrote: Frazier may be an decent leadoff man, and I agree that LF is his best defensive spot, but the offense is never going to produce as a unit without more power and slugging.  

Frazier, Marte and Polanco.   Woeful pop out there.  Marte's career .439 slugging is tops lol.  That's ridiculous.    Which means you need people driving the ball who play the infield to balance it.

Moran?  cross fingers.  Mercer? no,  J-Hay? yes his slugging counts  Bell, yes.  Cervelli? absolutely not.

I really don't see any feasible offesnive plan.  It's all nonsense from an offensive standpoint.   No real power in the pipeline.   No plan to improve the offense.    

There's little offensive future in this organization.  Which means you better start trading our so-called projectable pitching and getting some kids who can drive the baseball somewhere in return.   And that's assuming Moran has legit power. 

if Moran is a 15 hr guy? you can forget about it... 

All the more reason that sending Harrison and Nova to the Brewers for Santana and his 25-30 HRs would make sense. Then if you can swing a deal with Miami around Meadows and Glasnow for Realmuto it gives you a catcher with at least 10-15 HR power.

If you add Santana and Realmuto, use SRod at 2b, Bell at 1b and Moran hits 15 HRs from the 3b position you've got at least a modicum of power throughout the lineup. Even more if Polanco and Marte can just bring a little more pop than they did last year.

SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

6541555D58340 wrote: Frazier may be an decent leadoff man, and I agree that LF is his best defensive spot, but the offense is never going to produce as a unit without more power and slugging.  

Frazier, Marte and Polanco.   Woeful pop out there.  Marte's career .439 slugging is tops lol.  That's ridiculous.    Which means you need people driving the ball who play the infield to balance it.

Moran?  cross fingers.  Mercer? no,  J-Hay? yes his slugging counts  Bell, yes.  Cervelli? absolutely not.

I really don't see any feasible offesnive plan.  It's all nonsense from an offensive standpoint.   No real power in the pipeline.   No plan to improve the offense.    

There's little offensive future in this organization.  Which means you better start trading our so-called projectable pitching and getting some kids who can drive the baseball somewhere in return.   And that's assuming Moran has legit power. 

All the more reason that sending Harrison and Nova to the Brewers for Santana and his 25-30 HRs would make sense. Then if you can swing a deal with Miami around Meadows and Glasnow for Realmuto it gives you a catcher with at least 10-15 HR power.

If you add Santana and Realmuto, use SRod at 2b, Bell at 1b and Moran hits 15 HRs from the 3b position you've got at least a modicum of power throughout the lineup. Even more if Polanco and Marte can just bring a little more pop than they did last year.

They might go for Nova and Harrison for Santana. It's cheaper than paying XXX for Darvish or Arrietta and kills two birds with one stone.

I don't see NH doing that deal with Florida, even though it would be another shrewd move. Does Florida do that? I think someone would offer more than that.

Then you need to find another starter for the rotation.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

7161605741414D220 wrote: Frazier may be an decent leadoff man, and I agree that LF is his best defensive spot, but the offense is never going to produce as a unit without more power and slugging.  

They might go for Nova and Harrison for Santana.  It's cheaper than paying XXX for Darvish or Arrietta and kills two birds with one stone.

I don't see NH doing that deal with Florida, even though it would be another shrewd move.  Does Florida do that?  I think someone would offer more than that. 

[highlight]Then you need to find another starter for the rotation. [/highlight]

That task should be easy for TBMTIB. Just find some broken down AAAA starter and let Searage and Meccage do their magic and turn him into a 20 game winner!
Quail

Post by Quail »

1606073026262A450 wrote: Frazier may be an decent leadoff man, and I agree that LF is his best defensive spot, but the offense is never going to produce as a unit without more power and slugging.  

They might go for Nova and Harrison for Santana.  It's cheaper than paying XXX for Darvish or Arrietta and kills two birds with one stone.

I don't see NH doing that deal with Florida, even though it would be another shrewd move.  Does Florida do that?  I think someone would offer more than that. 

Where's Ryan Vogelsong? John Niese?

Seriously, with all of the pitching NH and company have been drafting and stockpiling over the years they'll have enough arms. Will the pitching staff be a strength? Probably not, but how likely would it be that a rotation of some combination of Taillon, Kuhl, Williams, Brault, Kingham, Keller, Hearn, Glasnow, Musgrove, reclamation FA, etc would be worse than the one in 2016 that featured Niese, Vogelsong, and Locke?

Trading Nova doesn't ruin a potentially great pitching staff. It isn't going to be much more than average anyway. Using him in a deal to acquire Santana improves a team lacking power in a way that desperately needs to be addressed.

I'm not suggesting that acquiring Santana (and Realmuto) instantly makes the Pirates a post season contender, but it does provide a solid foundation for a rebuild that can possibly do that in a couple of years.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I can't believe there's much of a market for Nova. He hadn't pitched well for several years before the Pirates acquired him in 8/16. The switch to the NL seemed to help as he did well the last part of 2016 and the first half of 2017. But for the second half of 2017 he was awful: 2-8, 5.83 ERA, 1.613 WHIP. He's due 9.1 million this year and next with no buyout. Even without Cole, he's probably not one of the 5 best the Bucs could now put out there behind Taillon, Williams, Kuhl, Musgrove, Brault, and who knows about Kingham or Glasnow.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

0A272A3B3C2D3A7A79480 wrote: I can't believe there's much of a market for Nova. He hadn't pitched well for several years before the Pirates acquired him in 8/16. The switch to the NL seemed to help as he did well the last part of 2016 and the first half of 2017. But for the second half of 2017 he was awful: 2-8, 5.83 ERA, 1.613 WHIP. He's due 9.1 million this year and next with no buyout. Even without Cole, he's probably not one of the 5 best the Bucs could now put out there behind Taillon, Williams, Kuhl, Musgrove, Brault, and who knows about Kingham or Glasnow. 

Nova is a tease. He certainly looked like a Cy Young candidate when he was acquired. He jumped out of the game strong in 2017 too. Despite his struggles, I would rather have him over Kuhl, Musgrove, Brault, Kinghan and Glasnow right now. I really am not big on any of those names.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

0420343C39550 wrote: Frazier may be an decent leadoff man, and I agree that LF is his best defensive spot, but the offense is never going to produce as a unit without more power and slugging.  

Where's Ryan Vogelsong? John Niese?

Seriously, with all of the pitching NH and company have been drafting and stockpiling over the years they'll have enough arms. Will the pitching staff be a strength? Probably not, but how likely would it be that a rotation of some combination of Taillon, Kuhl, Williams, Brault, Kingham, Keller, Hearn, Glasnow, Musgrove, reclamation FA, etc would be worse than the one in 2016 that featured Niese, Vogelsong, and Locke?

Trading Nova doesn't ruin a potentially great pitching staff. It isn't going to be much more than average anyway. Using him in a deal to acquire Santana improves a team lacking power in a way that desperately needs to be addressed.

I'm not suggesting that acquiring Santana (and Realmuto) instantly makes the Pirates a post season contender, but it does provide a solid foundation for a rebuild that can possibly do that in a couple of years.

You don't have to sell me on the ideas. The problem is we have a GM and an owner who wouldn't have any interest in either of those two ideas. We aren't trying to add anyone good.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

Milwaukee is rumored to be talking to Tampa for Archer. If there are legs to this, Santana would be going there. I hope Milwaukee gets him and that would throw more mud in the face of the owner and GM of our's.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Appears that Mets have a deal in place to sign Todd Frazier pending a physical. I would assume they no longer need Harrison.