Managerial Candidates???

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Managerial Candidates???

Post by fjk090852-7 »

525A596E785D7A751B0 wrote: I read an article on the At Bat app that identified three names:

Jeff Banister

Sam Fuld

Derek Shelton

The article said they'd consider other candidates, but it sounds like these three are definitely on the list of candidates. And At Bat is official MLB, so I suspect the team might have pushed these names out there intentionally.
It seems that Shelton is being mentioned quite often. I did read that he and Huntington worked together while they were employed by the Indians. My guess is that Bannister may get the job, but I would prefer they hire someone outside of the organization.
ArnoldRothstein

Managerial Candidates???

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

I'm at the point where I think a sizable former connection to NH is a red flag. We need some people who aren't going to accept the culture they're walking into.
BenM

Managerial Candidates???

Post by BenM »

596A7677747C4A776C706B6C7D7176180 wrote: I'm at the point where I think a sizable former connection to NH is a red flag.  We need some people who aren't going to accept the culture they're walking into.

Unless one of those people is Nutting, I'm not sure it matters.
fjk090852-7

Managerial Candidates???

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Sam Fuld has declined to interview with the Cubs, Mets as well as the Bucs. Sounds like from reading about him, he may rather become a GM rather than a manager. He appears to be a very smart individual.
DemDog

Managerial Candidates???

Post by DemDog »

Report from MLBTrs

Ryan Christenson

Never heard of him but he seems to be one TBMTIB likes.
Ecbucs

Managerial Candidates???

Post by Ecbucs »

606C6D363F363E33342B31060 wrote: Sam Fuld has declined to interview with the Cubs, Mets as well as the Bucs. Sounds like from reading about him, he may rather become a GM rather than a manager. He appears to be a very smart individual.

I would rather have him as GM than Neal.

If need be, make Neal President, hire Fuld and let Frank retire or go back to MLB hq.
rucker59@gmail.com

Managerial Candidates???

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

We've all agreed that for the Pirates, the firing and hiring of a manager is little more than window dressing. I do not expect any up-and-coming talent to have any interest in the Pirates. We could do a lot worse that Jeff B, but not much better. Jeff has some intangibles that separate him from other possibilities: He LOVES the Pirates and he knows exactly what the owner is all about. Those two attributes make him the best choice IMHO.

(Actually, my first choice is Joe Block. Get him out of the booth at any costs. But Walkie and Rock...they are more valuable in the booth then they would ever be in the dugout).
SammyKhalifa

Managerial Candidates???

Post by SammyKhalifa »

595E48404E591E126B4C464A4247054844462B0 wrote: We've all agreed that for the Pirates, the firing and hiring of a manager is little more than window dressing. I do not expect any up-and-coming talent to have any interest in the Pirates.  We could do a lot worse that Jeff B, but not much better.  Jeff has some intangibles that separate him from other possibilities: He LOVES the Pirates and he knows exactly what the owner is all about.  Those two attributes make him the best choice IMHO.

(Actually, my first choice is Joe Block.  Get him out of the booth at any costs.  But Walkie and Rock...they are more valuable in the booth then they would ever be in the dugout).

well the first thing i'd look for is that they make sure guys aren't punching each other in the locker room . . .
BenM

Managerial Candidates???

Post by BenM »

55747C557E76110 wrote: Report from MLBTrs

Ryan Christenson

Never heard of him but he seems to be one TBMTIB likes.

Interesting that the leak came from California. I'm pretty sure the Pittsburgh press hasn't broke any stories on the search.

If only this management team were as good at player development, scouting etc. as they are controlling leaks to the press.

(Remember the "secret" extensions?)
Bobster21

Managerial Candidates???

Post by Bobster21 »

33010D0D192B08010C090601600 wrote: We've all agreed that for the Pirates, the firing and hiring of a manager is little more than window dressing. I do not expect any up-and-coming talent to have any interest in the Pirates.  We could do a lot worse that Jeff B, but not much better.  Jeff has some intangibles that separate him from other possibilities: He LOVES the Pirates and he knows exactly what the owner is all about.  Those two attributes make him the best choice IMHO.

(Actually, my first choice is Joe Block.  Get him out of the booth at any costs.  But Walkie and Rock...they are more valuable in the booth then they would ever be in the dugout).

well the first thing i'd look for is that they make sure guys aren't punching each other in the locker room . . .
Yes, there needs to be a special room just for punching. :)