Official Game Thread - 8/23 - Bucs vs DBacks

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

4E686F7A737F687E761D0 wrote: I feel the Pirates have to do better than Newman at SS.  He's a capable player, and one who would work out well if he played in a strong offensive line-up, as Mercer did.  He's fine defensively, but not spectacular.  I think he'd best serve the team as a back-up infielder, getting 200-250 at bats each year.
I think offensively (and defensively actually) he's far superior to Jordy Mercer and Clint Barmes. I agree with WVBucco, his hitting especially for some pop has really been noticeable, and it's been sustained over a good bit of time. He may have already had a career year back in 2019, but over the last 30 days his slugging has improved from .265 to .312, his BA from .207 to .227, and his OBP from .246 to .266.  Consider that he's a MLB qualified stats player, so with as many AB/PA's as he's had, to make those kinds of gains this late in the season is quite remarkable.  If August is closer to the real Kevin Newman, if he's finally putting it back together, he's top half in MLB, and a keeper.

The stats don't lie, and he has been playing better over the past month. However, he just seems ordinary or average to me, which is okay when he's surrounded by better offensive players. But I don't expect the Pirates to ever have three or four top-notch hitters in the line-up so I'd like to have a SS who can carry a bigger part of the offense.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

744A4F47544C4C476742554611230 wrote: Nice play by Newman in the 9th to rob a hit.
There is no question about Newman's fielding. One of the better fielding shortstops. I can see him sticking around when his replacement (whoever that is) is ready.

Like Pat Mears did with Jack Wilson in 2001.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

0A3834342012313835303F38590 wrote: I feel the Pirates have to do better than Newman at SS.  He's a capable player, and one who would work out well if he played in a strong offensive line-up, as Mercer did.  He's fine defensively, but not spectacular.  I think he'd best serve the team as a back-up infielder, getting 200-250 at bats each year.
Well, we seem to have a bunch of possible candidates up and coming.  And if Newman turns his bat back around I'm fine with that too. 

I'd have liked to have seen Park play SS for an extended time while he was here, and I'd also like to watch Marcano for a couple of weeks.  I've seen enough of Cole Tucker.  I don't think he'll ever be even an average major league player.

But if Newman ends up being the SS, I could live with it as long as he plays an above-average defense.