Upcoming Rule 5 Draft

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Upcoming Rule 5 Draft

Post by Bobster21 »

1F393E2B222E392F274C0 wrote: With the guys protected from Rule 5 now on the 40 man roster, by my count the 40 man is 25 Cherington guys and 15 Huntington guys. The three best players from last year, Reynolds, Hayes, and Cruz are all NH guys. Newman and Castro, both significant contributors last season, are NH guys. Keller, JT Brubaker, and Luis Ortiz are all from the NH regime. Ji Wan Bae is expected to contend for playing time in 2023 and also a NH guy.

Still quite a heavy touch of NH, but a lot of those guys were high pedigree too. As I've said before, Cherington's guys are primarily A-AA with some of his picks finally going to AAA. But it's starting to look like Cherington has made some good trades, Roansey Contreras in the Taillon trade, Suwinski in the Frazier trade, though I think Marcano was supposed to be the big get, but even with Frazier having done nothing after leaving Pittsburgh, Marcano has done less than that. Endy Rodriguez can bring value from the Musgrove trade and if Bednar can get back to his pre-injury form, that trade might be considered a break even, though All Star caliber starting pitchers are hard to top.

Liover Peguero was part of the Marte trade. Brennan Malone was also part of the trade, but 2020 he didn't pitch, 2021 he had blister issues. He made it to A ball last season, remains to be seen if he's assigned to AA or not, he'll be 23 this year. So far, that trade yet to pan out. The Bell trade is so far pretty poor, though Wil Crowe started out like gang busters after being converted to a relief pitcher. Eddy Yean hasn't made it out of A ball, and posted a 6.75 ERA as a relief pitcher in Greensboro, but he's only 21 right now.

I'm a little surprised there aren't more NH guys on the protected list, only because of the time frames involve. The rule is "Players signed at age 18 or younger need to be added to their club's 40-Man roster within five seasons or they become eligible for the Rule 5 Draft. Players who signed at age 19 or older need to be protected within four seasons."

BC was hired in November 2019 and his first draft was the summer of 2020. So players he signed haven't been in the system even 4 years yet whereas most of NH's signees would have been 4 or more years ago. So the protected 40 shows that BC has made a number of acquisitions (signed by other teams at least 4-5 years earlier) and that a lot of NH's signees either washed out, were traded, or aren't worth protecting.
3pirates3

Upcoming Rule 5 Draft

Post by 3pirates3 »

"Earlier today, the Yankees claimed RHP Junior Fernández off waivers from the Pittsburgh Pirates." - Yankees

https://twitter.com/Yankees/status/1593715701105278976
UtahPirate

Upcoming Rule 5 Draft

Post by UtahPirate »

As part of this Rule 5 strategy, BC added this to the mix, which I hadn't considered fully:

“We expect that we’re going to be adding more players to the 40-man over the course of the offseason and we need spots to do that,” Cherington said. “So, you try to account for how many spots you’ll need and predict that the best you can and work backwards from that."

I would assume that is several spots given who is left on the 40-man and not just a couple more spots.

https://www.mlb.com/news/pirates-gm-dis ... le-5-draft
MaineBucs

Upcoming Rule 5 Draft

Post by MaineBucs »

With this year's draft looming, I am almost equally concerned regarding who the Pirates may lose than who they may select.
Ecbucs

Upcoming Rule 5 Draft

Post by Ecbucs »

1E323A3D3611263020530 wrote: With this year's draft looming, I am almost equally concerned regarding who the Pirates may lose than who they may select.

my guess is that Gorski will be selected.
MaineBucs

Upcoming Rule 5 Draft

Post by MaineBucs »

Well, we lose Sabol in the 4th pick, but we gain a 24 year old LH pitcher from the Dodgers, Jose Hernandez, who pitched 38 innings at AA last year after advancing from high A. He had more strike-outs than innings pitched. Hope he is worth the $100,000 the team spent to take a look at him.

MaineBucs

Upcoming Rule 5 Draft

Post by MaineBucs »

Actually, the Pirates had 11 players (almost half a roster/team of players) selected from their system in the minor league phase of the draft. Some were players like Jared Oliva and Peter Solomon who have seen time in the majors, but most were folks who I am not familiar with, and who were not among the team's Top 30 prospects.

Frankly, I view this as a sign that the Pirate farm system is improving, because team's, through the 3rd round of the minor league draft, decided the players in the Pirates' minor league system were worth taking a shot on.