Official Game Day Thread - 4/7 - Bucs vs O's

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

bucs607179

Re: Official Game Day Thread - 4/7 - Bucs vs O's

Post by bucs607179 »

I'm an O's fan I'd be pretty excited about our defense. I just re-watched those great plays they made.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Surgnbuck wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:28 am Getting to watch the game replay now, it's in the first, doubt I'll make it through to the end. We knew before there was even a replay that Hayes was out, we were laughing because we said, "this review will be the fastest in history".

What I'd like to know for those who got to see the game on television and the replays that I'm certain were shown of the play, do you think Hayes beats it out if he slides head first? The replay on the board looked like he slowed just a bit to prepare for the feet first slide.

Just now found out how Jose Hernandez was added to the roster, I didn't know it had occured until he entered the game. The Pirates were also able to trade Colin Selby for a 22 year old minor league pitcher Connor Oliver to the Royals. He's a LHP, and was assigned to Bradenton. Welcome aboard matey!

I share a similar concern with Doc about Cruz, but I don't call it laziness, because I don't think he is. I call it aloof, and we've seen it before here, with Starling Marte. I think they both love playing, but I don't think either of them grasp the importance of what they do to everyone else around them. Neither of them impress me as being the type who want to do what it takes to be a great ball player. I hope I'm wrong on Cruz.
I agree it might be a better choice of words but the distance between "aloof" and "lazy" is but one short step. I think Cruz could benefit from an enlightening chat with a respected veteran. McCutchen is just the guy.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Surgnbuck wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:34 am Saw the replay of the Cruz double....Triolo had slowed down before he hit second base, that was a bad read on his part, and obviously, Rabelo made a bad call sending him, I don't think he payed attention to Triolo and that he had slowed down. I have no idea why Triolo slowed down, what he possibly could have been reading.

But hey, we are the Pirates. We give away so many outs and runs and still win. It's like they want to give the other team a chance.
It looked like Triolo thought Cruz had hit a HR and began to trot as he approached 2B. Didn't appear to be any chance of the ball being caught and Triolo wasn't coming to a near stop before reaching 2B (as he would if he thought he might have to get back to 1B on a catch).

IMHO, Rabelo exhibits as poor judgment as any 3B coach the Pirates have ever had. It shouldn't matter if he saw Triolo slow down around 2B. Rabelo's only concern should be where Triolo was in relation to the relay throws regardless of why he hadn't gotten farther. Orioles 2Bman (Mateo) caught the relay from the OF just as Triolo was rounding 3B. It appears Rabelo just decided he was going to send him no matter what and just hope for the best. Actually, it was a closer play than many of Rabelo's blunders when guys are out at the plate by 20 feet.

Every year I expect Rabelo to be fired and every year he returns. So Sheltington must approve of him. I know they want the Pirates to be aggressive. But that doesn't excuse being reckless and making bad choices.
There's no basement in the Alamo.