2024 Official Spring Training Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Re: 2024 Official Spring Training Thread

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I am beginning to think they are not going to add another starting pitcher. Whatever their plan is to fill the two remaining starting pitching spots it is going to backfire. I guess we will have another losing season in 2024.
Doc

Post by Doc »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:13 pm I am beginning to think they are not going to add another starting pitcher. Whatever their plan is to fill the two remaining starting pitching spots it is going to backfire. I guess we will have another losing season in 2024.
I agree not obtaining a proven starter or two is the greatest failure of the offseason, but it’s not the only problem. Not getting a legit outfielder and first baseman will likely also prove to be mistakes.

There’s one guy still available who could fit the bill, and then some. The payroll is so low he’s easily affordable, but they don’t care. Proof yet again that winning isn’t the priority.
Possum

Post by Possum »

Doc wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:44 pm
fjk090852-7 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:13 pm I am beginning to think they are not going to add another starting pitcher. Whatever their plan is to fill the two remaining starting pitching spots it is going to backfire. I guess we will have another losing season in 2024.
I agree not obtaining a proven starter or two is the greatest failure of the offseason, but it’s not the only problem. Not getting a legit outfielder and first baseman will likely also prove to be mistakes.

There’s one guy still available who could fit the bill, and then some. The payroll is so low he’s easily affordable, but they don’t care. Proof yet again that winning isn’t the priority.
Don't keep us in suspense Doc. Who is the one guy who could fit the bill, and then some?
Let's Go Bucs
Doc

Post by Doc »

Possum wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:28 am
Doc wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:44 pm

Don't keep us in suspense Doc. Who is the one guy who could fit the bill, and then some?
Cody Bellinger. But we all know Nutting won’t have it, even though Bellinger’s affordable. Nutting simply won’t give, in his view, a common laborer the kind of money a player of Bellinger’s status would receive by a team serious about winning.
Possum

Post by Possum »

How about this article from the PG about Henry Davis?

Davis and Other Prospect Bond

Henry sure as heck looks to be an up-and-coming team leader. If isn't a great catcher it won't be because he isn't trying.
Let's Go Bucs
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

I think Cherington has mastered all the rebuilding buzz words. The irony is that the article is about GMs not wanting to admit they are in rebuilding mode. Cherington wants us to know he's always in rebuilding mode. It's an excuse for poor performance. It's an excuse for a low payroll. It's the excuse for always being something other than a legitimate post season contender. Fans see the same garbage every year: productive players traded to avoid paying them, acquisitions limited to dumpster dives, seasons devoted to player tryouts, many more losses than wins. But it's okay because they're rebuilding. Cherington immerses himself in the cloak of rebuilding because it limits expectations. He'll never have the backing of Nutting to do what's necessary to compete. So Cherington only has to answer for, "How's that rebuilding coming along?" This year, with 1 legit starting pitcher and the subpar acquisitions of Tellez and Grandal, it doesn't look promising. But the season can be deemed a success if Cruz becomes a star and Davis makes progress. Baby steps. We don't expect too much from a rebuilding team.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Bobster wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:21 pm
I think Cherington has mastered all the rebuilding buzz words. The irony is that the article is about GMs not wanting to admit they are in rebuilding mode. Cherington wants us to know he's always in rebuilding mode. It's an excuse for poor performance. It's an excuse for a low payroll. It's the excuse for always being something other than a legitimate post season contender. Fans see the same garbage every year: productive players traded to avoid paying them, acquisitions limited to dumpster dives, seasons devoted to player tryouts, many more losses than wins. But it's okay because they're rebuilding. Cherington immerses himself in the cloak of rebuilding because it limits expectations. He'll never have the backing of Nutting to do what's necessary to compete. So Cherington only has to answer for, "How's that rebuilding coming along?" This year, with 1 legit starting pitcher and the subpar acquisitions of Tellez and Grandal, it doesn't look promising. But the season can be deemed a success if Cruz becomes a star and Davis makes progress. Baby steps. We don't expect too much from a rebuilding team.
I’m filing this under “something I wish I had written”.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

I see the Pirates have reclaimed Canaan Smith -Njigba after he was DFA'd by Seattle.
Somehow that doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. Next it might be Cole Tucker :lol: :lol:
Dutton

Post by Dutton »

4 points:

1. It's not an addition to the rotation, but might be something that had to be done before we could: Mitch Keller has been extended 5 years!

2. On a related note, Roansy Contreras has been reported "looking good" in early Spring Training. Did anyone else read an article about our pitching coaches trying to get Contreras to make changes to his delivery last year? If that has validity, maybe there's a reason for hope for a bounceback.

3. I think that the 13th position player competition will come down to Ji Hwan Bae vs. Josh Palacios. Though I love Palacios as a PH, I hope Bae wins, because a Reynolds-Bae-Suwinsky/Olivares outfield is so much better defensively than Reynolds-Suwinsky-Palacios/Olivares. Bat Bae 9th as an end of the lineup extra leadoff guy.

4. I'm going to post a 2024 AAA lineup soon, and it's going to be a loaded roster!