We need to sell.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

We need to sell.

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

331405010419261205040419600 wrote: I'm not going to single out  any post because clearly I'm the outlier on this board.  Almost everyone on here is apparently selling and especially Malancon.   

I don't get it. 

To made even the wildcard is huge, a lot of WS teams have come from the WC.

At this moment we're 2 games out with a favorable schedule.  I'm not trading anyone that gives this team its best chance to advance.  Especially I'm not trading Malancon nor anyone on our bench.  I'd consider Jaso in order to free a spot for Bell and free some money.  Add one pitcher (I like Matt Moore as a solid addition to this team and the next couple years through his options) and this team could be the team to beat by October. 

The Pirates can easily be a contender if the vets start playing as expected and one (just 1 Neal!) legitimate pitcher is added to the rotation. 

We've hung in the race despite subpar performances from key players and a brutal schedule.  If they get swept in Milwaukee maybe I'll feel different.  But I expect the Pirates to inch a bit closer by the end of the weekend.  I'm buying.     I agree VA you cant punt on this season just yet. People say "yea it's only the wildcard" but as you mentioned wildcard teams have won the World Series numerous times since this system was put into play. All you have to do is win one game and you are in a playoff series where anything can happen. You might not get this close every year to make the playoffs. You simply have to take advantage of it and cannot take it for granted.

The Cards are playing the Marlins this weekend and beat them last night to move into a tie with them for the second wildcard spot. We are going to see in the next few weeks if the Marlins are for real or not before they come into PNC Park in about 3 weeks for a weekend series. They play at Chicago and at Colorado next week, then play the Giants and the White Sox before they play the Bucs. The Pirates schedule is definitely easier over the next 2-3 weeks then the Marlins so you gotta take advantage of this. 

The Pirates desperately need to win in Milwaukee this weekend. If you do you are guaranteed to pick up at least one full game each time on either the Cards or the Marlins. Keep in mind the Bucs also have two full games in hand on both the Cardinals and the Marlins.

Yeah, the Marlins have a tough schedule and I'll be shocked if they're in front or even with the Pirates when they meet.  I don't think the acquisitions by the Marlins change this.  But that trade could keep the Marlins close, making the series with them huge.

The same can be said for the series with the Braves in Atlanta next week for the Pirates. I feel they almost need to sweep that series seeing how bad the Braves are at home this season and have the worst record in baseball. Plus, with the Marlins playing the Cubs if you still have aspirations of catching the Cubs for the division which is not totally out of reach just yet then by winning in Atlanta you are guaranteed to either gain on the Marlins in the wildcard or the Cubs in the division. The Cardinals starting next week play their next 9 games against both the Reds and Braves so the Pirates desperately need to win a lot over the next 2 weeks here before heading out West to LA and San Fran.

I agree 100% - Pirates need a few sweeps over the next couple of weeks.
SammyKhalifa

We need to sell.

Post by SammyKhalifa »

"Convinced yet that it's a sellers market? Per BA, 4 top 100 prospects already traded: Espinoza (15), Torres (27), Mejia (91), Naylor (100)."
PirateGold

We need to sell.

Post by PirateGold »

I'm in the camp that is in favor of not selling and trying to make the post-season.
Ecbucs

We need to sell.

Post by Ecbucs »

4D746F7C69785A7271791D0 wrote: I'm in the camp that is in favor of not selling and trying to make the post-season.

yep, too close to playoff spot to not go for it. Starting pitching is going to have to come through in order to make it.
SammyKhalifa

We need to sell.

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I'm generally on the side of not selling, but if a crazy offer comes across for Melancon . . .
OrlandoMerced

We need to sell.

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I think you can see the Pirates taking the conservative approach. I'd rather they went against the grain into sell mode. The entire pitching staff is held together with duct tape right now and they're stuffing problems into the bullpen with Locke and Niese. I'm just not sure that they have a match in the current trade market without doing a three way trade. The team does not need to accrue more prospects, what they need is to flip short term assets like Melancon, Freese and Joyce into controllable bullpen and inning eater starting pitchers.
ArnoldRothstein

We need to sell.

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

I think it's funny that the Major League Baseball Trade Rumors website hasn't sent through even a rumor about the Pirates in the last 6 days.
MaineBucs

We need to sell.

Post by MaineBucs »

Commenting on the Trade Rumors site ---- they don't even mention Pirate players when they do a piece on who is available for a particular position. For example, no mention of Joyce in their article on corner outfielders.

And for all of those who don't want to sell, some of whom have frequently criticized NH for not doing enough to put the team in a competitive position, I ask ---

1) Exactly who do you envision among the current starters who you believe will effectively contribute to the starting rotation?

2) How much are you willing to part with to acquire a pitcher who could make a difference for the next 2 months?

I recognize that this is baseball, and that anything can happen, particularly because many of the teams the Pirates are competing against for a wild card spots are flawed, but I have a hard time envisioning the starting pitching enabling this team to be really competitive. Also, so many of the current position players are in a prolonged slump - McCutchen, Kang, Harrison, Jaso, and to a lesser extent Polanco and Cervelli - and there does not appear to be any great evidence that several of the above players are ready to go on a positive run.

OrlandoMerced

We need to sell.

Post by OrlandoMerced »

507C7473785F687E6E1D0 wrote:

I recognize that this is baseball, and that anything can happen, particularly because many of the teams the Pirates are competing against for a wild card spots are flawed, but I have a hard time envisioning the starting pitching enabling this team to be really competitive.   Also, so many of the current position players are in a prolonged slump - McCutchen, Kang, Harrison, Jaso, and to a lesser extent Polanco and Cervelli - and there does not appear to be any great evidence that several of the above players are ready to go on a positive run.

I'm just not sure this team has truly recovered from that 6-20 spell. The team had some life right before the all -star break and Josh Bell seemed to bring some excitement to the club. I know this seems a little sensational, and probably simplistic, but I blame the leadership on the team and I put that on McCutchen and Liriano. They seem to wade between frustrated, indifferent and pouty. McCutchen is obviously part of this team's renaissance, and Liriano and Burnett lead the pitching staff when the team broke through. This just doesn't seem like the same team, not that they can relive 2013 over and over again. But I think there is something about a leader falling the way McCutchen has.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

We need to sell.

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I don't think McCutchen is a leader. I am not sure who the leader is anymore. Burnett had that role when he was here. Martin did too.

Just because McCutchen is the best player doesn't mean he is the leader.