The season's hanging by a thread, thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

thessy

Post by thessy »

220F02131405125251600 wrote:

I disagree. A SB is nice but if he's thrown out down by a run with 1 out already in the 9th, it pretty much seals the loss. It's very risky in that situation and not at all an automatic play. Frazier PR for Freese because he's faster and had a better chance of going from 1B to 3B on a single or scoring on a double. It made sense to have a faster runner at 1B but not necessarily to risk everything on a SB attempt. If either Cervelli or Mercer drives a ball into a gap he scores. Even if Frazier could steal 2B, they still need either Cervelli or Mercer to get a hit. So they gave Cervelli and Mercer the chance to get a hit but didn't risk Frazier being thrown out before that could happen.

I had a bunch of stats here, but decided to remove them. Sending Frazier would have been a gamble, but they took a 'hope for a miracle' approach which IMHO is worse. Cervelli (.304) and Mercer (.380) are #17 and #13 on the team in slugging percentage on the season. Anything can happen in baseball, but to tie that game without sending Frazier they would have needed their worst hitters to string several hits together (the Brewers were playing deep and Frazier was unlikely to score from first on anything that stayed in the ballpark) against a pitcher with a .152 BAA, on a night when the entire team had three hits, and coming off a depressing series sweep. I don't like risk for the sake of risk, but given the circumstances I don't know that sending Frazier would have been a greater risk than not.

That said, I can at least understand playing conservative baseball IF you handle Cervelli's (and subsequently Mercer's) AB differently. You can't have Cervelli, a guy with no power but the second highest walk rate on the team, trying to Hee-man the first pitch he sees into the river in that situation.

Either take the gamble or play smart baseball. They didn't do either one.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

4D464E4247465D181E695048414646074A46290 wrote: I just saw the highlights.

Harrison got thrown out at third base in the 8th inning as the tying run? Why is he so bad on the bases? How is he so bad at this level. But it's ok, he hustles. I would bench him. When will he learn? I hate mental errors. Harrison probably leads the league.

Boneheaded play. Scofield made the call. What's your point about Harrison? Oh, yeah - he's your "get even" guy. The anti-Pedro rebound.

Did you review the rest of the game? Did you see Marte do the same dumb thing on a single to right-center? He was safe but it was every bit as risky a move. Worse yet, did you see Marte "caught stealing"? Except he was safe. I thought I was the only one to see it on replay, but after the game the host in the FAN were talking about how he was absolutely safe on replay but it didn't warrant a review? No review because Marte simply got up, joked it up with their 2nd baseman, and trotted off the field. He didn't care enough to even care.

Did you see Hanson? Put in the game solely to run and gets picked off the VERY FIRST throw over to 1st. It's ok, just trot on back to the dugout.

Did you see their starter only go 3 1/3 and otherwise the mighty Brewer bullpen made the Pirates look dead for the rest of the game?

To use a word I used last night - this team looked putrid. Quitters. They looked too much like the old Pirates, uninterested. But all you saw was Harrison out at 3rd (w/o crediting Scofield)? Trust me, JHay is hardly the biggest problem this team has. He along with several others need to be dealt this offseason 'cause this team is broken and I'm not sure they care all that much.
PMike

Post by PMike »

243835232329500 wrote:

I disagree. A SB is nice but if he's thrown out down by a run with 1 out already in the 9th, it pretty much seals the loss. It's very risky in that situation and not at all an automatic play. Frazier PR for Freese because he's faster and had a better chance of going from 1B to 3B on a single or scoring on a double. It made sense to have a faster runner at 1B but not necessarily to risk everything on a SB attempt. If either Cervelli or Mercer drives a ball into a gap he scores. Even if Frazier could steal 2B, they still need either Cervelli or Mercer to get a hit. So they gave Cervelli and Mercer the chance to get a hit but didn't risk Frazier being thrown out before that could happen.

I had a bunch of stats here, but decided to remove them.  Sending Frazier would have been a gamble, but they took a 'hope for a miracle' approach which IMHO is worse.  Cervelli (.304) and Mercer (.380) are #17 and #13 on the team in slugging percentage on the season.  Anything can happen in baseball, but to tie that game without sending Frazier they would have needed their worst hitters to string several hits together (the Brewers were playing deep and Frazier was unlikely to score from first on anything that stayed in the ballpark) against a pitcher with a .152 BAA, on a night when the entire team had three hits, and coming off a depressing series sweep.   I don't like risk for the sake of risk, but given the circumstances I don't know that sending Frazier would have been a greater risk than not.

That said, I can at least understand playing conservative baseball IF you handle Cervelli's (and subsequently Mercer's) AB differently.  You can't have Cervelli, a guy with no power but the second highest walk rate on the team, trying to Hee-man the first pitch he sees into the river in that situation.

Either take the gamble or play smart baseball.  They didn't do either one.

Great post. Both of your posts on this thread are spot on. Welcome to the board.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

3A3D2B232D3A7D71082F25292124662B2725480 wrote: I just saw the highlights.

Harrison got thrown out at third base in the 8th inning as the tying run? Why is he so bad on the bases? How is he so bad at this level. But it's ok, he hustles. I would bench him. When will he learn? I hate mental errors. Harrison probably leads the league.

Boneheaded play.  Scofield made the call.  What's your point about Harrison?  Oh, yeah - he's your "get even" guy. The anti-Pedro rebound. 

Did you review the rest of the game?  Did you see Marte do the same dumb thing on a single to right-center?  He was safe but it was every bit as risky a move.  Worse yet, did you see Marte "caught stealing"?  Except he was safe.  I thought I was the only one to see it on replay, but after the game the host in the FAN were talking about how he was absolutely safe on replay but it didn't warrant a review?  No review because Marte simply got up, joked it up with their 2nd baseman, and trotted off the field.  He didn't care enough to even care. 

Did you see Hanson?  Put in the game solely to run and gets picked off the VERY FIRST throw over to 1st.  It's ok, just trot on back to the dugout.

Did you see their starter only go 3 1/3 and otherwise the mighty Brewer bullpen made the Pirates look dead for the rest of the game? 

To use a word I used last night - this team looked putrid. Quitters. They looked too much like the old Pirates, uninterested.  But all you saw was Harrison out at 3rd (w/o crediting Scofield)?  Trust me, JHay is hardly the biggest problem this team has.  He along with several others need to be dealt this offseason 'cause this team is broken and I'm not sure they care all that much. 

I said I didn't see the game. I brought up the one play I saw.

Don't blame me because Harrison makes bonehead mistakes. I know you like his hustle. I like smart hustling plays. Harrison just isn't a good base runner. Do you think he is? You would probably be in the minority.

Pedro rebound? I love how people try to throw Pedro in my face. Pedro was the best option to play 1B in 2015. I am not sure why that is so hard to understand. But since you brought it up, would you rather have Jaso over Pedro now? I sure wouldn't. And before you ask, Yes I think the Pirates would have been better with Walker at 2B over Harrison too.

I didn't blame the whole game on Harrison. I blamed him and his coach for that one play in the 8th inning.