Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Jerseykc

Pirates Cards Game Thread 9/6...

Post by Jerseykc »

Looks like Zach Duke is headed to the playoffs
Speedloader88

Post by Speedloader88 »

We have all seen this group play less than enthusiastic baseball and I can't help but wonder if internally the message was received that this would not be a pennant year with the trade of Melancon. I didn't mind the deal but I don't play for the Pirates. I wonder if that was a big surrender flag felt by the roster?
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Even though the team was already on life support, that may have been the most painful -- AND MOST INEVITABLE -- loss of the year.

And honestly, there was never one second of the game when I felt like the Pirates would win.

So that's it. It's officially over now.

CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Pirates will DEFINITELY win tomorrow night because it no longer matters.

rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

363D35393C3D266365122B333A3D3D7C313D520 wrote: So if Watson does that in the 8th, it's ok?

It just comes down to the players who were counted on have not had seasons that were expected. Watson has been part of that group too.

Ill just say it again - I can not imagine ANY other team that's in a playoff race trading it's proven closer. It made no sense in July and now we're paying the price for a gamble.

We can say that a lot of players have not preformed. We can also say that this has been a terrible year for the FO - their moves to rewrite baseball economics are proving to be costly.
rucker59@gmail.com

And regarding the Yankees - everyone covering the Yankees recognized that they were sellers this year, willing to concede the playoffs. They did a major restock of their system. They also wound up playing better in August.

The Pirates claimed they were playing to win.
BenM

Post by BenM »

The Yankees also called up Gary Sanchez, who now has an OPS north of 1.000.

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

I feel sorry for Watson. He has been a great performer for the Bucs.

I'm sure he has never given up 3 homers in a game before (maybe not even 2).

But this season is over.

Someone posted on Pirate Chat on Facebook that trading Melancon was a sign of surrender.

Looks like they were right.

It shouldn't be that way but there is a psychology to sports (and life) and maybe that was the kiss of death for this team.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I feel bad for Watson too. He is getting a lot of blame even though Jaso made the worst play of the game. Who knows what would have happened if he threw to second base or stepped on firs base than made a throw?

Imagine how this board would have reacted if that was Pedro? Or everyone in Pittsburgh? OMG...

rucker59@gmail.com

Tony Watson is, from everything I hear, a great guy and a great teammate. I hate that he had to stand out there and experience that inning. I hate that it was to the Cardinals and that their dugout is laughing it up at his (and our) expense.

Funny, I'm less frustrated at Tony than I am at any of the "lazy" plays. Those are the ones I truly hate. Everything else that's going on - hopefully the organization will see its responsibility.

I still believe in this team for the next several years. But I no longer think we'll enter next year as one of the best teams in baseball. Neal's going to have to make some tough decisions. Done well, I think we can contend for a WS. But hopefully this year will cause The FO to rethink its goals and strategy.