Glasnow needs more time in Minors

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

747F777B7E7F642127506971787F7F3E737F100 wrote: They are WINNING.  They are being COMPETITIVE. 
Entered tonight under .500 and 22 games behind the division leader. Currently losing to the division leader 12-0. I'm so glad they are competitive.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I agree they aren't winning this season and are on their way from going from a 98 win season down to a below .500 season. They were able to get away with that excuse this season seeing that they had 3 straight winning seasons and playoff appearances. That excuse will be done next season as all people will be thinking about now and what a disaster this season was and has been.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

One thing is for certain this season is the Chicago Cubs has completely dominated and embarrassed the Pirates when they have meet head to head. A 3-13 record against them doesn't lie. The Pirates have a long way to go to close the gap between themselves and the Cubs because right now it's not even close. I said back here in April the Cubs would win well over 100 games this season and a lot of people disagreed.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

67405155504D72465150504D340 wrote: I agree they aren't winning this season and are on their way from going from a 98 win season down to a below .500 season. They were able to get away with that excuse this season seeing that they had 3 straight winning seasons and playoff appearances. That excuse will be done next season as all people will be thinking about now and what a disaster this season was and has been.

I agree with Freddy about this. the Bucs management team should be on the hot seat for next year. Making playoffs for 3 straight years is great. everyone can have an off year (such as Cutch and Cole). But if there are two off years in a row when it was stated repeatedly that there was not a window but long term contention for championships, then somebody has to take the fall (quoting Sam Spade).
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

614C41505746511112230 wrote:

Huntington's reasoning could have been if that you want those two prospects for Hutchison, you have to take Liriano too.  Liriano could have been a throw in to make the deal happen. 
According to Toronto's GM, they wanted Liriano. he was not a throw in.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/08/01/ja ... -bolsinger

Why do you believe Toronto's GM? Is it because you want to? Did you really think he would say they didn't want Liriano? Has any GM ever come forward after a trade and say he didn't really want a certain player to get others?
Quail

Post by Quail »

2229212D2829327771063F272E2929682529460 wrote: I don't know why the Pirates didn't sign David Price.  Did Price want to come to Pittsburgh?  Maybe Price said No?  I am sure every team wanted Price.

You blame Huntington for not signing certain guys when they sign elsewhere?  Man, that is a stretch.  I was told on this board that every 1B was available last year but Huntington was stupid for keeping Alvarez and Hurdle was stupid for playing him when they could have had Goldschmidt.  That was a stretch too.

Huntington's reasoning could have been if that you want those two prospects for Hutchison, you have to take Liriano too.  Liriano could have been a throw in to make the deal happen.  When he said " that was part of it" he could have meant the three for one deal.  Not that two prospects went so Liriano could go.  Liriano was a top pitcher for three years straight too.  He could have been answering that part of the trade.  But everyone is twisting it to look like that in order for the Blue Jays to take Liriano, the Pirates had to trade McGuire and Ramirez in the process.  It is twisted that way because the Management team is not liked.  The results of that trade aren't even in yet and people are still saying how bad it was?  Ramirez and McGuire might never make it?  Hutchison might be a great starter.  We just don't know.

Make fun of Walker for Niese.  The results are in.  The Pirates lost.  That makes more sense than twisting a theory around with no end results.

Dog- did you read what I said? I don't blame Huntington. He's savvy enough to have shown an interest in David Price. He clearly understood what Price could add to the value of his MLB roster. I don't think for a minute that he thought Niese and Vogelsong would have anywhere near the positive impact that David Price would. Huntington's comment (which he tried to walk back) in the spring about this being a 'bridge year' for the Pirates tells me he understood perfectly that the Pirates were taking a step back competitively.

I fully expect after this offseason that Huntington will be making comments about 2017 being a 'developmental year' or 'transition year' or some other euphemistic phrase denoting rebuilding because the FA talent pool was poor and he wasn't able to add talented veterans to a very young starting staff.

I blame ownership for placing profit so far ahead of winning that they allowed a 98 win team to stagnate and decline rather than spend what money they reasonably could to improve it.