Huntington on the fan today...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BenM

Post by BenM »

6F424F5E59485F1F1C2D0 wrote:

And we saw the Liriano savings immediately invested 3 weeks later by extending Freese. This is how tight the budget is. They have to unload a SP and 2 prospects to save enough money just to sign a utility player.   ::)

That's what I find so frustrating about this going forward. It's not like they managed to unload an A Rod/Rangers sized contract.
Quail

Post by Quail »

The discussion about Liriano's (dumped) salary being used to pay Freese has thus far been off the mark in terms of its equivalency.

Liriano was owed $13.66M in 2017 (another ~$3.5M was dumped on the Blue Jays for 2016). David Freese will make $6.25M in 2017 (and was paid ~$750K after Liriano was dealt in 2016).

Although Freese will make another $9.75M on his contract in 2018 and 2019 that money doesn't have to be paid until that time. It has nothing to do with the Pirates financial situation in 2017. The only thing of real importance is that the Pirates will spend $7.41M less in 2017 than they would have if they had retained Liriano if one chooses to just look at the contracts of Freese and Liriano in a vacuum. In reality the Pirates haven't spent all of Liriano's money on Freese. It won't be clear that they've spent any of it until the total payroll for 2017 is established and can be compared to total payroll in 2016.

It's pretty clear that the Pirates will continue to produce revenue each year. The value of the franchise will continue to increase every year adding to the hundreds of millions of dollars in equity that ownership has already accrued since they purchased it. Financially the Pirates operate from year to year. Costs that are delayed should be viewed in the year they come due not for the life of a contract, just as the car I'm going to buy in 2019 is not an expense I will put on my books in 2016.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Quail

Post by Quail »

7D505D4C4B5A4D0D0E3F0 wrote: Interesting article in the PPG.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/zeis ... 1610040154

Good read. Thanks for posting!
mouse

Post by mouse »

That really is an interesting article. The scary thing is, from NH's comments, he may have already gotten a low budget number for next year.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

3C3E242234510 wrote: That really is an interesting article. The scary thing is, from NH's comments, he may have already gotten a low budget number for next year.

Maybe this is because attendance dropped this year so it is the fans fault. (just kidding).
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

7A5C5D4A5C4C3F0 wrote: That really is an interesting article. The scary thing is, from NH's comments, he may have already gotten a low budget number for next year.

Maybe this is because attendance dropped this year so it is the fans fault. (just kidding).

Correct! They need to keep up the record attendance so that the Pirates can maintain one of MLB's lowest payrolls. ::)
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Good Article in the Post Gazette. Thanks for sharing it. I agree with the columnist, the front office need to give the GM more $$ to work with. Baseball teams and newspapers are not the same business. Kevin McClathy found that out. With the vets we have and young players, a vet with experience would help us be competitive. Look at what Cleveland did in bringing in Napoli. A guy with experience, a leader, and their up and coming team is playing quite well against the deep pocket RedSox. You aren't going to get it a Champagne Team on a Pepsicola budget/pocketbook.... Beat'em Bucs
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

5760766653747B7C7B5254150 wrote: Good Article in the Post Gazette. Thanks for sharing it. I agree with the columnist, the front office need to give the GM more $$ to work with. Baseball teams and newspapers are not the same business. Kevin McClathy found that out. With the vets we have and young players, a vet with experience would help us be competitive. Look at what Cleveland did in bringing in Napoli. A guy with experience, a leader, and their up and coming team is playing quite well against the deep pocket RedSox. You aren't going to get it a Champagne Team on a Coca Cola budget/pocketbook....  Beat'em Bucs

Just think you should be more GA appropriate with your metaphors! ;)
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Good one Utah. I didn't think about that when I was typing. :D