Official McCutchen trade thread...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

071A3E3C32570 wrote: I'd have a hard time moving McCutchen for that package, they really need MLB ready pitchers, so if neither Ross nor Gonzalez were included, that would be tough to make that trade.

It would also be hard to count on Meadows for this upcoming season, aside from limited time at AAA, he's also proven to have a bit of the injury bug.

I agree about a major league pitcher needed.  Though, I think Giolito and Lopez would slot into the rotation.  Sink or swim.

I'm not concerned about Meadows.  He has dominated everywhere.

Right, because they'd be the best options. I've always viewed Giolito as a more polished Glasnow, but both of these guys wiped the floor with lower levels of competition, but hit some struggles against the top competition because they couldn't rely on power stuff alone.

I know little about Lopez, so maybe he would have been able to step right in, but I wouldn't just slot Giolito into the 2017 rotation.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

It is coming out now that the Pirates were never "dangling" him out there. They were listening but they were not the aggressive party.

Who knows what to believe? I am glad they ask for a lot. It never hurts to listen. I'd rather have him than prospects.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

5A6864647042616865606F68090 wrote: Buster Olney:

Huntington's comments about holding McCutchen for PIT echo what rival execs say: PIT's trade talks are exploring value, and not dumping him.

That's important. At least Neal and the Pirates come out looking better.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

5552444C4255121E67404A464E4B0944484A270 wrote: Buster Olney:

Huntington's comments about holding McCutchen for PIT echo what rival execs say: PIT's trade talks are exploring value, and not dumping him.

That's important.  At least Neal and the Pirates come out looking better. 

Pirate fans on Sunday: Management wants to trade McCutchen!!! Team stinks!!!

Pirates fans on Thursday: Management didn't trade McCutchen!!! Team stinks!!!

CutchisaBoss

Post by CutchisaBoss »

I'd like to see them gamble on Tyson Ross...he could be the difference maker...I read someplace yesterday he might be ready by February
PMike

Post by PMike »

4F726C616E646F4D6572636564000 wrote: I'd have a hard time moving McCutchen for that package, they really need MLB ready pitchers, so if neither Ross nor Gonzalez were included, that would be tough to make that trade.

It would also be hard to count on Meadows for this upcoming season, aside from limited time at AAA, he's also proven to have a bit of the injury bug.

I agree about a major league pitcher needed.  Though, I think Giolito and Lopez would slot into the rotation.  Sink or swim.

I'm not concerned about Meadows.  He has dominated everywhere.

Right, because they'd be the best options.  I've always viewed Giolito as a more polished Glasnow, but both of these guys wiped the floor with lower levels of competition, but hit some struggles against the top competition because they couldn't rely on power stuff alone. 

I know little about Lopez, so maybe he would have been able to step right in, but I wouldn't just slot Giolito into the 2017 rotation.

The ironic thing about Glasnow/Giolito is that Glasnow has been far more polished and dominant than Giolito in the minors.  Glasnow has struggled for about a month at the beginning of every level transition and then settled in and dominated.

Career minor leagues:

Glasnow:

500 IP 2.03 ERA  646 SO  1.08 WHIP

Giolito:

369 IP 2.69 ERA  297 SO  1.19 WHIP

AAA

Glasnow:

151 IP  1.96 ERA 181 SO  1.20 WHIP

Giolito:

37 IP  2.17 ERA  40 SO  1.10 WHIP
notes34

Post by notes34 »

This has played out pretty much how I had hoped. The Pirates didn't get a kings ransom for Cutch so he stays a Pirate. I think we will see close to what we are used too out 22. He may not be in the MVP discussion anymore but .290/375/450 could easily happen.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

If Cutch shows up for PirateFest as scheduled, it will be very interesting to hear his comments to the local Pittsburgh media. I am sure all the local media outlets, and beat writers are anxious to interview him.
mouse

Post by mouse »

On the winter meetings wrap-up show last night, the commentators were suggesting the almost-trade of Cutch would be an issue, and they all believed he still would be traded. The prospect guy said not the Dodgers (they didn't have the prospects). The other team where a fit was suggested was the Mets, who have an abundance of pitching.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

53514B4D5B3E0 wrote: On the winter meetings wrap-up show last night, the commentators were suggesting the almost-trade of Cutch would be an issue, and they all believed he still would be traded. The prospect guy said not the Dodgers (they didn't have the prospects). The other team where a fit was suggested was the Mets, who have an abundance of pitching.
Yes, just because he wasn't traded during the winter meetings doesn't mean he won't be traded. Conversations can begin at the meetings and continue or revive afterwards. If nothing else, I expect him to be dealt at the trade deadline in July.