Huntington comments on Quintana

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Too much pressure is being put on Glasnow. I feel this pressure is much greater than Cole and Taillon, who were and still are more polished. I would love Glasnow to come up and pitch lights out, but I hope people don't get on him if he doesn't. He is still very young and has a way to go.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

6E656D6164657E3B3D4A736B6265652469650A0 wrote: Too much pressure is being put on Glasnow.  I feel this pressure is much greater than Cole and Taillon, who were and still are more polished.  I would love Glasnow to come up and pitch lights out, but I hope people don't get on him if he doesn't.  He is still very young and has a way to go.

I agree, that's why it would have been nice to add another pitcher so he'd be down there until he started beating the door down.
Speedloader88

Post by Speedloader88 »

I don't think the failure to acquire Quintana is the real issue. I think their failure to acquire ANY meaningful piece is the primary issue.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

On this team Glasnow kind of has to be the guy if the Pirates aren't going to go out and spend money or make a trade for a guy like Quintana which they obviously aren't going to do. This team cant compete for a wildcard spot much less the Cubs in the division if they don't have a strong rotation guys 1-4. They need that x-factor to make the difference and Glasnow has to be that guy. Other teams have young guys come up all the time that are either pitchers or position players that are Glasnow's age and are awesome from day 1. Why cant Glasnow be that guy?? Guys like Hutchison,Brault,and even Chad Kuhl aren't it. As I stated in another thread if Glasnow isn't going to be the guy now and figure it out sooner rather then later then when is he going to be the guy, and when do you consider trading him for a guy like Quintana if you don't think he can be that guy.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

65425357524F70445352524F360 wrote: He said if the fans would have known what the asking price was for Quintana they wouldn't have wanted to make the trade. Why say this?? What makes Neal think that nobody wants the Pirates to trade guys like Glasnow and Meadows in order to try and win now.  At some point this team if the right deal is in place has to go for it and pull the trigger with these prospects if they are close and want to have a chance to seriously win a championship. With the Cubs making the World Series and winning it last season the Pirates now join the Seattle Mariners who have never made the World Series and the Washington Nationals who were originally the Montreal Expos and never made the World Series either for the longest drought of not making it to the World Series as it will be 38 years if they fail to do so this season. Every team currently in baseball right now has at least made the World Series one time since 1979 with the exception of these 3 teams. At some point you gotta go for it.

The Yankees said the White Sox wanted too much.

The Astros said the White Sox wanted too much.

The Pirates said the White Sox wanted too much.

But somehow people given this information draw the conclusion that it's the Pirates that were being unreasonable.  People act as if Quintana punches our ticket to the World Series. There are never any guarantees of that but a rotation of Cole,Taillon,Quintana,and Nova if they stay healthy is pretty damn good and makes you a much better team. I think next to Kershaw and Bumgarner Quintana is the best left handed pitcher in baseball. He is very underrated just because he plays on the White Sox.

Quintana is very good, but one of the top three left handers in baseball, after only Kershaw and Mad Bum?  I think that's stretching it.  Off the top of my head, I'd rank the following above him:

Price, Lester, Hammels, Sale, Keuchel, and even a guy like Matt Moore is arguable.  We haven't even mentioned Gio Gonzalez, Drew Smyly, J.A. Happ, Rich Hill (who had a very good year last year) or Julio Urias. 

Again, Quintana is very good.  Good enough to give up both Meadows and Glasnow?  No.  For one...maybe.  But both?  No way.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

0F07043325002728460 wrote: He said if the fans would have known what the asking price was for Quintana they wouldn't have wanted to make the trade. Why say this?? What makes Neal think that nobody wants the Pirates to trade guys like Glasnow and Meadows in order to try and win now.  At some point this team if the right deal is in place has to go for it and pull the trigger with these prospects if they are close and want to have a chance to seriously win a championship. With the Cubs making the World Series and winning it last season the Pirates now join the Seattle Mariners who have never made the World Series and the Washington Nationals who were originally the Montreal Expos and never made the World Series either for the longest drought of not making it to the World Series as it will be 38 years if they fail to do so this season. Every team currently in baseball right now has at least made the World Series one time since 1979 with the exception of these 3 teams. At some point you gotta go for it.

The Yankees said the White Sox wanted too much.

The Astros said the White Sox wanted too much.

The Pirates said the White Sox wanted too much.

But somehow people given this information draw the conclusion that it's the Pirates that were being unreasonable.  People act as if Quintana punches our ticket to the World Series. There are never any guarantees of that but a rotation of Cole,Taillon,Quintana,and Nova if they stay healthy is pretty damn good and makes you a much better team. I think next to Kershaw and Bumgarner Quintana is the best left handed pitcher in baseball. He is very underrated just because he plays on the White Sox.

Quintana is very good, but one of the top three left handers in baseball, after only Kershaw and Mad Bum?  I think that's stretching it.  Off the top of my head, I'd rank the following above him:

Price, Lester, Hammels, Sale, Keuchel, and even a guy like Matt Moore is arguable.  We haven't even mentioned Gio Gonzalez, Drew Smyly, J.A. Happ, Rich Hill (who had a very good year last year) or Julio Urias. 

Again, Quintana is very good.  Good enough to give up both Meadows and Glasnow?  No.  For one...maybe.  But both?  No way. I would have traded Quintana for Glasnow straight up had that offer been made to me if I was NH without even thinking about it. I don't know if NH would have done that seeing how reluctant he is to part with prospects.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

795A4F4F4E46454B4E4F5812122A0 wrote: I don't think the failure to acquire Quintana is the real issue.  I think their failure to acquire ANY meaningful piece is the primary issue.

I agree. I've been wanting someone else as much as anyone. We as a fanbase have become fixated on the Quintana thing though.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

4B6C7D797C615E6A7D7C7C61180 wrote: On this team Glasnow kind of has to be the guy if the Pirates aren't going to go out and spend money or make a trade for a guy like Quintana which they obviously aren't going to do. This team cant compete for a wildcard spot much less the Cubs in the division if they don't have a strong rotation guys 1-4. They need that x-factor to make the difference and Glasnow has to be that guy. Other teams have young guys come up all the time that are either pitchers or position players that are Glasnow's age and are awesome from day 1. Why cant Glasnow be that guy?? Guys like Hutchison,Brault,and even Chad Kuhl aren't it. As I stated in another thread if Glasnow isn't going to be the guy now and figure it out sooner rather then later then when is he going to be the guy, and when do you consider trading him for a guy like Quintana if you don't think he can be that guy.

What kind of numbers are you expecting? 

Cole, who was drafted in the first round twice, came up and was very good.  He went 10-7 with a 3.20 ERA in 19 starts when he was called up.  Cole was also the first overall pick and a college kid.

Taillon, who was the second overall pick, came up and went 5-4 with a 3.40 ERA.  Taillon was 24 years old, but probably would have been up in 2015 if it wasn't for injuries.

What do you expect from Glasnow, a 5th round pick out of high school, who is 22 years old?  Glasnow wasn't the talent Cole and Taillon were coming out of school.  He went 0-2 with an ERA over 4.20 in four starts, three relief appearances. 

Glasnow is a great prospect, but he isn't as polished as the two before him.  I am not expecting much from him this year.  I expect him to work on the minor stuff this year before he is called up: holding on runners, use a different out pitch.  I really don't know what to expect, but I wouldn't put the season on his shoulders. 
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

17302125203D02362120203D440 wrote: Glasnow had better be the guy then this season if the Pirates aren't going to trade him for Quintana. Huntington cant come out and make a comment like this and then the Pirates not give Glasnow an opportunity to make this rotation. If you weren't going to trade Quintana for him you better damn well make sure he pitches up here and works out his problems at the Major League level. If Glasnow isn't going to be the guy right now then when is he gonna be??
The problem with that is that we are also talking about how the only realistic chance the Pirates have is to win a dogfight for a WC spot. So every single win is vital. Letting Glasnow work out his problems at the Major League level means a few losses that could be avoided as he struggles with control and holding runners on and maybe learning a new pitch. All of which he could work on in AAA. The Cubs could afford to carry such a pitcher. They would probably win the division regardless. But when the Pirates are fighting for a WC spot in September and wishing they had won a few more games earlier in the season, it would seem like a very bad idea to have let Glasnow work out his problems at the MLB level.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

7378707C7978632620576E767F7878397478170 wrote: Too much pressure is being put on Glasnow.  I feel this pressure is much greater than Cole and Taillon, who were and still are more polished.  I would love Glasnow to come up and pitch lights out, but I hope people don't get on him if he doesn't.  He is still very young and has a way to go.

Bob, Neal and Frank have created this pressure, not fans. Unless we're suppose to limit our expectations of this club....