4/5 Game Thread-Game 2-Bucs vs. Red Sox

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

2820233422222E410 wrote: That was an ugly inning.  Not sure why he didn't let Nicasio pitch 2 innings.
Exactly totally head scratching move. Nicasio is your long guy and for sure Bastardo is a one player reliever, if even that. Hurdle is just awful.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

0F28393D38251A2E393838255C0 wrote: Cutch is 0 for 9 these first two games so far and has come up numerous times with men on base and in scoring position.  I know it's early but just saying.

If people think he is going to return to the player he was two years ago, they are nuts. They should have dealt him to Washington for what the Nationals were offering. That package was more than adequate for a declining Cutch.
thessy

Post by thessy »

That game really frustrated me.

Why was Marte asked to sac bunt?

Why was Cutch given the green light on a 2-0 count and Marte on first?

Why was Gosselin even in the game?

Why was Bastardo left in after walking two and throwing to an uncovered base?
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

243C3E39392E3F38252432570 wrote: That was an ugly inning.  Not sure why he didn't let Nicasio pitch 2 innings.
Exactly totally head scratching move.  Nicasio is your long guy and for sure Bastardo is a one player reliever, if even that.  Hurdle is just awful.

I know you guys are just venting, but I'm going to disagree. It's game 2...of 162. Against an AL team, who won't be competing against us for a division title, or a WC birth. If we throw Nicasio for two innings tonight, that's an inning he might not have in the tank in August against St. Louis or the Mets. I know, it's only one inning. But an extra inning here, an extra inning there, they add up. Not that you throw these games away, but in terms of importance, interleague games are objectively the least important games of the year.

Still worried about #22. :-/
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Well, there was no doubt how this game was going to end: did anyone really think the Pirates were going to score a run? Watching Marte, Cutch and Polanco put together 15 terrible ABs is pretty hard to overcome.

And how do the Pirates manage to field such rotten 1st basemen. Crazy bad play that has never been addressed by the FO.
massbucsfan

Post by massbucsfan »

0D1D1C2B3D3D315E0 wrote: Cutch is 0 for 9 these first two games so far and has come up numerous times with men on base and in scoring position.  I know it's early but just saying.

If people think he is going to return to the player he was two years ago, they are nuts.  They should have dealt him to Washington for what the Nationals were offering.  That package was more than adequate for a declining Cutch.
I was thinking that when all the rumors were going crazy saying the deal was being worked on ,trade him for a decent return.i guess Washington was smart in getting the other guy
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

54444572646468070 wrote: Terrible throw by Gosselin to 2nd on that pickoff. That play has absolutely got to be made. That throw was beyond horrible.

Be careful ... he was probably our second best pickup in the offseason.  Not that that is saying much.

Always nice to see a great pitching performance by Jameson thrown in the toilet. I didn't like Hurdle taking Bell and his bat out for Jaso in the 8th inning for defensive purposes when Jaso isn't really a much better defensive player then Bell and doesn't hit as well either. That move there forced Hurdle's hand to bat Gosselin for Jaso when the Sox put a lefty into pitch and therefore he had to leave Gosselin in at first base as well where he doesn't have much experience. Little stupid moves like this by Hurdle that might not seem like much end up costing the Pirates games. And that move had a lot to do with the outcome of this game with the poor throw by Gosselin.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

2834392F2F255C0 wrote: That game really frustrated me.

Why was Marte asked to sac bunt?

Why was Cutch given the green light on a 2-0 count and Marte on first?

Why was Gosselin even in the game?

Why was Bastardo left in after walking two and throwing to an uncovered base? All poor decisions by Hurdle. I know it's not his fault these guys can't hit and score runs but all these decisions by him here above were stupid and made no sense and were costly. Hurdle has to do a better job.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

4D4A5C545A4D0A067F58525E5653115C50523F0 wrote: Well, there was no doubt how this game was going to end: did anyone really think the Pirates were going to score a run?  Watching Marte, Cutch and Polanco put together 15 terrible ABs is pretty hard to overcome. 

And how do the Pirates manage to field such rotten 1st basemen.  Crazy bad play that has never been addressed by the FO. Yep you gotta get more out of these 3 guys. They have all stunk pretty badly at the plate these first 2 games.
Quail

Post by Quail »

Frustrating game for a number of reasons but there were some very good things as well. Taillon was terrific. Cutch played some good defense. Hudson, Rivero, and Nicasio had excellent outings in relief.

Now if we could only generate some offense...